Thai Virtual Phone Number That Rings Me Either Online Or My American Number

drysdan

When I am in Thailand, my Skype account has a US based phone number that people can call, and it will ring to my Skype account no matter where I am. They don't even know it's a Skype number.

I want to do the same thing for when I'm not in Thailand, so my Thai contacts can call a Thai phone number, and have it ring me in the US. I don't care if it rings an online service (e.g. Skype, SIP), or if it forwards to my actual US number.

Is it possible to get a Thai phone number that will do this? It would be better still if it was capable of receiving/sending SMS, but not required.

Anybody know of a solution?

Do you already have a Thai number? Is it a fixed line or mobile? What is the call volume? What is your budget? What is the duration, of your time in the U.S.? Do you expect to answer the calls given the time difference?

Off the top of my head, for low-volume, non-business sensitive applications, I would suggest a pre-paid SIM from One-2-Call with voice-mail and international roaming enabled. I would top it up to ~ 1,000 baht. I would use a GSM1900-capable handset in the U.S. and roam onto T-Mobile or AT&T(Cingular). Then I would monitor calls and SMSes, returning calls on my U.S. phone/Skype, and returning SMSes on either phone, understanding that SMSes via One-2-Call would be ~ 10+ baht.

A service like voip.ms would be ideal but they do not have DID in Thailand.

Edited by lomatopo

Do you already have a Thai number? Is it a fixed line or mobile? What is the call volume? What is your budget? What is the duration, of your time in the U.S.? Do you expect to answer the calls given the time difference?

Off the top of my head, for low-volume, non-business sensitive applications, I would suggest a pre-paid SIM from One-2-Call with voice-mail and international roaming enabled. I would top it up to ~ 1,000 baht. I would use a GSM1900-capable handset in the U.S. and roam onto T-Mobile or AT&T(Cingular). Then I would monitor calls and SMSes, returning calls on my U.S. phone/Skype, and returning SMSes on either phone, understanding that SMSes via One-2-Call would be ~ 10+ baht.

A service like voip.ms would be ideal but they do not have DID in Thailand.

Thanks.

So nobody does DID in Thailand? Seriously? That's lame.

I don't have a Thai number anymore. This kind of application is exactly why they invented things like DID/Virtual numbers.

So nobody does DID in Thailand?

I didn't say that, or mean to imply it. I specifically said voip.ms do not. I suspect someone may but I could not find anyone in a 2 min. search.

Oh, Ok. Thanks. Here's hoping somebody can share some experience. I tried googling it for 20 minutes or so, but was thoroughly confused by most of the options presented, and none of them seemed to be able to give me a Thai local number.

Hi Guys,

Of course there are Thai DID's available but the problem is for most people that they can not be optained by foreigners directly from Telco's...

Please try www.didww.com or https://www.virtualphoneline.com/did/ as they still should have a few Thai numbers left.

If not let me know and I might be able to do something.

Cheers,

edit: added url.

Edited by Kongtiesto

didww does not seem to offer numbers in Thailand. virtualphoneline does seem to have numbers in Chiang Mai. Am interested to hear from the OP re: budget. $30/mo. is a bit more than, say Google Voice $0/mo.). :rolleyes:

FWIW, its not just the number, but the services and fees which are important. Since the OP seems disinclined to share any requirements I'll let him find the best solution.

didww does not seem to offer numbers in Thailand. virtualphoneline does seem to have numbers in Chiang Mai. Am interested to hear from the OP re: budget. $30/mo. is a bit more than, say Google Voice $0/mo.). :rolleyes:

FWIW, its not just the number, but the services and fees which are important. Since the OP seems disinclined to share any requirements I'll let him find the best solution.

Yeah, that's far above any budget I had in mind. I don't need a high traffic business line. It's really just a convenience thing.

Sorry if I didn't make my requirements clear. I want a Thai phone number that rings me in the US, preferably using VOIP, to avoid international calling charges.

The ideal thing would be a Skype Online Number, but they don't offer them in Thailand, so I'm looking for alternatives. They offer them in 40ish countries around the world, for around $10/month each (half that with a calling subscription package).

It would be much easier or cheaper if you or a freind can pick up a prepaid sim card then like somebody else mentioned you can load it up with credit set the permamant forward number to your US number and then just put the sim in the draw or something,

True do the inter sim which you can call US landlines and mobiles for 1 baht per minute via there 00600 number so you set the redirect up at 006001xxxxxxxx and thats it then, 1000 baht would last a long time at 1 baht per minute.

Getting a sip number is going to be difficult and probably expensive, I think i remember someone on the frums saying VOIP is actually illegal in Thailand which im not to sure about but if thats the case i doubt you can just sign up for a number like you can with skype.

Going the other way US to Thailand , i have had a unlimited landlines and mobile thailand subscription out with skype for 150 baht a month for over a year now and have a skype online US number so when someboyd calls the US number it will redirect to my mobile for free which is cool

It would be much easier or cheaper if you or a freind can pick up a prepaid sim card then like somebody else mentioned you can load it up with credit set the permamant forward number to your US number and then just put the sim in the draw or something,

True do the inter sim which you can call US landlines and mobiles for 1 baht per minute via there 00600 number so you set the redirect up at 006001xxxxxxxx and thats it then, 1000 baht would last a long time at 1 baht per minute.

Can you confirm that TrueMove offer automatic international call forwarding via the 00600 option (1.07 baht/min to the U.S.) or 006 option (3.21 baht/min to the U.S.)? Or is this just speculation? I suspect that you cannot do this. In fact I suspect you cannot add international call-forwarding on a pre-paid True SIM.

Going the other way US to Thailand , i have had a unlimited landlines and mobile thailand subscription out with skype for 150 baht a month for over a year now and have a skype online US number so when someboyd calls the US number it will redirect to my mobile for free which is cool

Can you share the details re: the unlimited calls to Thailand Skype package? I could only find these limited packages. Skype's pricing plans seem challenging to find on their website.

Given the additional requirements from the OP, and given AT&T/1900 or T-Mo coverage/signal availability, a GSM1900-capable handset with a One-2-Call pre-paid SIM with ~ 500 baht and international roaming (and voice-mail) enabled. Then just monitor the phone, note in-bound calls and return them via your preferred option (Skype, calling card, voip). Its a little kludgey but serves the purpose. I can verify this works as this is what I do on my frequent trips back to the U.S. People in Thailand will pay their standard in-country SMS charge if they send an SMS, you'll pay ~ 10.7 baht to send an SMS back.

I'm honestly not sure how many free numbers are floating around for use VoIP/DID applications, and remember the sale of these is tightly controlled and monitored. Years ago they were sold in blocks of 100,000 and there was some hoarding, both to get desirable vanity numbers and on speculation. This is just one of the reasons for the mobile dial plan change in October, 2006; adding the lucky number "8" to numbers.

Check out CAT2Call Plus. It does exactly what you are looking for. You get a Bangkok phone number and can use it with a SIP phone or adapter. You can also set it up with a softphone on your computer (I use eyeBeam).

Check out CAT2Call Plus. It does exactly what you are looking for. You get a Bangkok phone number and can use it with a SIP phone or adapter. You can also set it up with a softphone on your computer (I use eyeBeam).

Cool. If anyone has phone numbers it would be CAT. :)

Can you share any details re: your experiences? Did you get an 02 number? How much do you pay? Do you use an IAD/ATA? It looks like some application forms require citizenship or a work permit. Was that your experience?

It kind of looks like it is 200 baht/month (post-paid?). In theory you could run a SIP client (SIPDroid, CSIPSIMPLE) on an Android phone and with WiFi or 3G (maybe even 2G) receive/make calls. Definitely interesting, thanks for the lead.

edited to add: it looks like there are pre- and post-paid versions. Validity on the pre-paid version is pretty limiting (1,000 baht for 100 days). The number pool seems to be 0-2402-XXXX .

and...CAT also do international call forwarding on the 009 service, so 6 or 7 baht/min to the U.S., plus 200 baht/month. Truemove do offer international call forwarding on post-paid plans, at the roaming rate of ~ 50 - 200 baht/min.

Edited by lomatopo

Can you share any details re: your experiences? Did you get an 02 number? How much do you pay? Do you use an IAD/ATA? It looks like some application forms require citizenship or a work permit. Was that your experience?

It kind of looks like it is 200 baht/month (post-paid?). In theory you could run a SIP client (SIPDroid, CSIPSIMPLE) on an Android phone and with WiFi or 3G (maybe even 2G) receive/make calls. Definitely interesting, thanks for the lead.

edited to add: it looks like there are pre- and post-paid versions. Validity on the pre-paid version is pretty limiting (1,000 baht for 100 days). The number pool seems to be 0-2402-XXXX .

and...CAT also do international call forwarding on the 009 service, so 6 or 7 baht/min to the U.S., plus 200 baht/month. Truemove do offer international call forwarding on post-paid plans, at the roaming rate of ~ 50 - 200 baht/min.

As I recall, all that I had to do was fill out a form with my address, etc. and give them a copy of my passport. I applied at the CAT head office on Chaengwattana Road.

When I applied (this was several months ago so my memory may be a little faulty) they had some kind of promotion going where I signed up for the 1000 Baht and 100 day prepaid plan for 1900 Baht which also got me an IAD plus an additional 1000 Baht worth of calling credit.

I set it up with Fring on my Nokia N95 (that I use with wifi) as well as set up call forwarding (when I'm not reachable) to my regular mobile number. It all works as expected.

As you say, I received a 02-402-xxxx number.

Edited by Deke

As I recall, all that I had to do was fill out a form with my address, etc. and give them a copy of my passport. I applied at the CAT head office on Chaengwattana Road.

When I applied (this was several months ago so my memory may be a little faulty) they had some kind of promotion going where I signed up for the 1000 Baht and 100 day prepaid plan for 1900 Baht which also got me an IAD plus an additional 1000 Baht worth of calling credit.

I set it up with Fring on my Nokia N95 (that I use with wifi) as well as set up call forwarding (when I'm not reachable) to my regular mobile number. It all works as expected.

As you say, I received a 02-402-xxxx number.

CAT2Call Plus does sound like it's about what I'm looking for. Doesn't look as convenient as Skype, but if it gets me a Thai number, and isn't expensive, it will do.

But how do I sign up for it and get a Thai number when I'm not in Thailand?

Here is a link to the Cat2Call Plus promotions

http://www.contactcenter.cattelecom.com/thai/oversea/cat2call_plus%20prepaid_promotion.asp

I assume you get to keep the IAD?

So 3,700 THB for the IAD, 400 days of validity and 2,000 THB of calling credit. PREPAID

Or 200 THB/month for the service, 100 THB/month for the IAD (not required, locally available for ~ 1,900 THB)m with calling charges on top. POSTPAID

It seems like you have to apply for this service in person, so that means you need to be in Thailand or have a local do it for you.

http://www.contactce...d_promotion.asp

So 3,700 THB for the IAD, 400 days of validity and 2,000 THB of calling credit. PREPAID

Or 200 THB/month for the service, 100 THB/month for the IAD (not required, locally available for ~ 1,900 THB)m with calling charges on top. POSTPAID

It seems like you have to apply for this service in person, so that means you need to be in Thailand or have a local do it for you.

Oh, so Cat2Call actually requires a physical device on the Thai side to route the calls to the PSTN( the phone network)?

That's a no-go for me. The whole point of me wanting a 'Virtual' number is that it's virtual. The service provider deals with all the hardware, so I don't need to.

It's starting to seem like the telephony/information providers in Thailand are stuck in the 90's, technology and mindset-wise.

http://www.contactce...d_promotion.asp

Oh, so Cat2Call actually requires a physical device on the Thai side to route the calls to the PSTN( the phone network)?

That's a no-go for me. The whole point of me wanting a 'Virtual' number is that it's virtual. The service provider deals with all the hardware, so I don't need to.

It's starting to seem like the telephony/information providers in Thailand are stuck in the 90's, technology and mindset-wise.

They give you an IAD as part of the package but you don't need to use it. I use eyeBeam softphone on my notebook when I'm traveling.

The IAD is similar to what VoIP providers like Vonage utilize. In fact this is the same Cisco/Linksys IAD used by many VoIP providers in the U.S. The IAD is available for purchase in the U.S for ~ $50, here ~ 1,900 THB. The IAD is completely portable, so you can plug it in to any ethernet internet connection anywhere in the world, then plug a POTS telephone into one of the jacks and answer/receive calls anywhere on your Thai 02 number. As Deke mentions you can use any PC-based softphone or SIP-based client, even on an Android mobile phone (or iPhone I assume?) so the IAD is really only a requirement for POTS/FAX.

Deke, can you detail the call-forwarding bit? Is that something you set up with CAT2CallPlus? If so what is the charge?

It looks like this CAT2Call feature has been around for quite a few years so I'm not sure its fair to disparage the whole country and all the telecomms? I do agree that some things are unique and challenging here, but not so bad IME. Hey, we just got mobile numeber portability, which I would have said would never happen here. As it turns out most people don't want to keep their old number! <_<

Edited by lomatopo

The IAD is similar to what VoIP providers like Vonage utilize. In fact this is the same Cisco/Linksys IAD used by many VoIP providers in the U.S. The IAD is available fro purchase in the U.S for ~ $50, here ~ 1,900 THB. The IAD is completely portable, so you can plug it in to any ethernet internet connection, then plug a POTS telephone into one of the jacks and answer/receive calls anywhere on your Thai 02 number. As Deke mentions you can use any PC-based softphone or SIP-based client, even on an Android mobile phone (or iPhone I assume?) so the IAD is really only a requirement for POTS/FAX.

Deke, can you detail the call-forwarding bit? Is that something you set up with CAT2CallPlus? If so what is the charge?

It looks like this CAT2Call feature has been around for quite a few years so I'm not sure its fair to disparage the whole country and all the telecomms? I do agree that some things are unique and challenging here, but not so bad IME. Hey, we just got mobile numeber portability, which I would have said would never happen here. As it turns out most people don't want to keep their old number! <_<

Fair enough. With it being software compatible, it's not so bad. Not quite up to the convenience level of a free Google Voice number, or the cheapness and convenience of a Skype Online Number, but it seems workable.

Still gonna have trouble setting it up and paying the bills from overseas, though. Unless I'm misreading their website, the only electronic payment forms are debits from Thai banks. No online transactions with credit cards or paypal?

Thanks for the dialogue, and all your help, guys.

The call forwarding works similar to the way it does with regular phones. You dial a code followed by the number that you want calls forwarded to. I think the options are to forward all calls or to forward when not available. There is no extra charge for setting up forwarding, just the normal call charges depending on where the number is located that you're forwarding to.

The call forwarding works similar to the way it does with regular phones. You dial a code followed by the number that you want calls forwarded to. I think the options are to forward all calls or to forward when not available. There is no extra charge for setting up forwarding, just the normal call charges depending on where the number is located that you're forwarding to.

Thanks. I may trial the True NetTalk service first but I'm a little wary of an 060 number as this will throw most Thais for a loop. An 02 number is much more "conventional".

I use ibanking from Bangkok Bank. It lets me do bill paying & prepaid top ups. Very convenient.

Some of the hardware you mention sounds like Magic Jack. Plugs into an ethernet router & then ordinary handset plugs into that.

Edited by powderpuff

I use ibanking from Bangkok Bank. It lets me do bill paying & prepaid top ups. Very convenient.

Some of the hardware you mention sounds like Magic Jack. Plugs into an ethernet router & then ordinary handset plugs into that.

The IAD functions similar to Magic Jack (I use one of those too) but it's more "generic" in that it connects directly to your router and is configurable. In fact, the Linksys IAD that they gave me can accept two separate SIP accounts with two separate telephones attached. I currently only use the one though.

The IAD functions similar to Magic Jack (I use one of those too) but it's more "generic" in that it connects directly to your router and is configurable. In fact, the Linksys IAD that they gave me can accept two separate SIP accounts with two separate telephones attached. I currently only use the one though.

OK, so you did get an IAD as well. Is that a Cisco/Linksys PAP2T? Did you purchase that, and you own it now? If you purchased it did you pay 1,700? Or do you rent it and have to return it? If you rent it, do you pay the 100 baht/mo.?

That 3,700 baht all in package, with IAD, 400 days validity and 2,000 baht calling credit looks pretty good. I was going to buy a PAP2T anyway.

Magicjack is a proprietary-ish USB/1 port IAD, essentially. Before you could hack Magicjack to get all the details necessary to use any SIP client/IAD but they changed the verification hash a while ago to prevent this activity. At least I haven't been able to get verified on MJ using SIPDroid on my Android phone.

OK, so you did get an IAD as well. Is that a Cisco/Linksys PAP2T? Did you purchase that, and you own it now? If you purchased it did you pay 1,700? Or do you rent it and have to return it? If you rent it, do you pay the 100 baht/mo.?

That 3,700 baht all in package, with IAD, 400 days validity and 2,000 baht calling credit looks pretty good. I was going to buy a PAP2T anyway.

Magicjack is a proprietary-ish USB/1 port IAD, essentially. Before you could hack Magicjack to get all the details necessary to use any SIP client/IAD but they changed the verification hash a while ago to prevent this activity. At least I haven't been able to get verified on MJ using SIPDroid on my Android phone.

I wish I could remember the exact details of the promotional package that I bought but it seems like it ended up being 2000 Baht credit, 200 days validity and the IAD.

I refill the account by going to 7-Eleven and giving them the phone number.

There was no deposit or anything on the IAD, it's an outright purchase. It is the PAP2T already configured to work with CAT2Call.

I did have a little trouble initially setting it up with the softphone because the password to access the account was already in the IAD and they hadn't given it to me separately. A few Emails back and forth got it straightened out though. CAT's customer service people are very friendly.