Carrefour Becomes Big C

Deeral

So when do we lose Carrefour? Will there be a big sale? When Big C take over will it be with the same down-market stores they operate everywhere else? No more bread? No more cheese?

sorry I can't format this any better the editor won't sync with my computer.

Edited by Deeral

So when do we lose Carrefour? Will there be a big sale? When Big C take over will it be with the same down-market stores they operate everywhere else? No more bread? No more cheese?

The Big C I shop at has a nice bakery and cheese selection. Better than Tesco though not as good as Villa.

I went to the Big C in North Pattaya a few weeks ago and was surprised by the changes. They are definitely trying to compete with Makro and Foodland for the falang market sector. I was impressed with the selection of bread, and they now stock real cheese (well, that Mainland brand, but that's a huge step up). I agree that a few years ago, Big C was down market and only catering to Thais, but I could sense a change in my last shopping trip there.

I went to the Big C in North Pattaya a few weeks ago and was surprised by the changes. They are definitely trying to compete with Makro and Foodland for the falang market sector. I was impressed with the selection of bread, and they now stock real cheese (well, that Mainland brand, but that's a huge step up). I agree that a few years ago, Big C was down market and only catering to Thais, but I could sense a change in my last shopping trip there.

Interesting some of you guys assume there aren't any Thais into good bread, cheese and other International foods.

I was in Udon Thani last week and the Lotus there has excellent bread - much better than our local Foodland in Bangkok.

They also have a decent range of other "Western" foods.

This is in the heart of Issan - not Thong Lor or Sukhumvit, where the range is of course much wider.

But if these stores relied just on us expats to stock and sell International (and particularly Western) foods, I think they'd be out of business very quickly.

More, there's a specialty organic supermarket in the Avenue on Chang Wattana nearly opposite Immigration.

It is next door to a well stocked Villa and both are doing very well.

I dare say their customers are not just those of us doing 90 reports, picking up new Visa extensions and the like, but rather ordinary middle class Thais and Government workers from across the road.

The times, they are a'changin!

Edited by RegularReader

I am really sorry to see Carrefour go. I am noticing that some of my favorite items are no longer stocked. And, after having really bad luck with phones that I purchased from Tuk-Com and BigC, I made all of my electronics purchases at CF and had very good luck and service.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I know it's scheduled to happen sometime in March. However, whether it'll be under the Big-C name or a new brand is apparently up for grabs.

IMO it makes sense for them to make it a different brand.

Other than that, I think the BIg-C takeover will mean better conditions for the staff there, eg. a slightly more decent overtime pay (or one that actually adheres

to Thai Labour Law).