Extending Stay Past 30 Days?

I arrived in Thailand just over a week ago, and at customs said that I'll only be staying a month, as I want to go to Hong Kong for Chinese New Year's. I really like it here though, so I'm not sure if I wanna go to HK any more. How do I go about extending the stay by a few months? Also, if I decide to stay for longer than 6 mo, what's the process for that? I won't be getting a job here because I work online, but if it helps I could open a small business here. Thanks guys!

You would have to leave and obtain a tourist visa for a new entry. As you do not appear to have other entries Vientiane would be a good place and a two entry visa could be obtained allowing, with exit/extensions almost a six month stay.

I still have tickets to Hong Kong, so I guess I'll just go there for a week for Chinese New Year's.

So how exactly do I go about obtaining a 6-mo visa when I return - what's a two-entry visa, and will I have to leave again to extend?

Also, what if I decide to get a permanent visa down the road?

Thanks! :)

There is no such thing as a permanent visa. A visa allows entry for only 60-90 days. You obtain a visa outside of Thailand at a Royal Thai Consulate. A tourist visa for visa exempt entry passport allows a 60 day stay that can be extended at immigration for another 30 days with payment of 1,900 baht. Another entry would require exit/entry of Thailand.

Many people stay on ED visa. You could enroll in a Thai language school then get the ED visa. When you enter you will get a 90 day stamp, with proper paper work from the school you can get up to a 1 year extension at the end of your initial 90 days.

Many people stay on ED visa. You could enroll in a Thai language school then get the ED visa. When you enter you will get a 90 day stamp, with proper paper work from the school you can get up to a 1 year extension at the end of your initial 90 days.

Only studying at a university will give a 1 year extension of stay, studying at other educational facilities normally results in only being given extensions for 90 days at a time.

Interesting, so how do we get one? Say we leave Thailand for HK, and then what? We go to a Thai consulate in HK and ask for an ED visa, simple as that? Also how many hrs / mo attendance is required at language school or university? Thanks guys!

There is no such thing as a permanent visa. A visa allows entry for only 60-90 days. You obtain a visa outside of Thailand at a Royal Thai Consulate. A tourist visa for visa exempt entry passport allows a 60 day stay that can be extended at immigration for another 30 days with payment of 1,900 baht. Another entry would require exit/entry of Thailand.

I don't think I'm ready for the school route that someone mentioned yet, so how do I get this simplest visa? Just go to HK, walk into a Thai consulate and ask for a 60-day Visa that can be extended by another 30 days down the road? Thanks.