New Visa

I am currently on a 1 year extension on my ED visa. Soon I will be putting in some time with FPV in Pattaya. I understand that even for volunteer work i will need a work permit and for work permit I will need B visa. Will I be able to obtain new visa without leaving Thailand?

The volunteer police is notorius for claiming that you don't need a work permit for that. I would first talk with them to see if they would support you getting a work permit.

If they do help you with a work permit they will also need to help you with getting the correct visa, which would be a non-O visa in case of volunteering. So that will be your next question to them.

If they want to help you with both, you could try to get an extension of stay based on volunteering without having t leave the country, if immigration is willing to help you. In case of volunteering for the FTP they might. if they can't help you, you will need to get a non-O visa from abroad.

If the FTP will not help you, forget about getting a WP and extensions of stay based on volunteering.

Thanks for the info, I will be working with FPV not FTP. A good source let me know that FPV is run more professionally so they may help me out with what I need.

If i do end up having to leave would I be able to go to any country close by? I have heard before that to get a visa you need to be in you own country but I am not sure that is the case since I got a visa for Thailand while I was stationed in Japan. However that was an official visa category F so maybe for that there is an exception due to agreement between US and Japan for military.

Edited by maswov

Only a few very limited number of nationalities can only apply for a visa in their home countries, for a US citizen there is no problem applying in another country then there own.

Only for example Nigerians and people from hot spots like Afghanistan need to apply in their own country (or country of residence).