Good Spaghetti Sauce

searcher22

Most stores like Rim Ping, Makro, Big C, etc., have tomato sauce and paste and stewed tomatoes. I have also seen envelopes of spaghetti sauce base. I find it easy enough to make my own.

Agreed I was going to make a similar point about the advantages of making one's own sauce. Much tastier and you can make it the way you personally like it

caf

Just buy some cheap sauce and add your own ingredients.

1kg of hamburger meat

3 tomatoes

2 onions

1 bell pepper

mushrooms (qty up to you)

Cook the meat first, then add onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms. Pour in the cheap sauce. Let simmer for 5 to 10 min and add tomatoes. 5 more min and remove and serve. Add some grated cheese to the spaghetti noodles and top that with the sauce.

It's very fattening but very delicious!

Seriously? Go to the market and get some Nam Prik Ong - a pork and tomato dip.

Add a little water and oregano. Heat it up, and voila, a spicy and delicious Italian tasting spaghetti sauce.

Nam Prik Ong - it is red...

It works!

It's 20bt

Edited by wjmark

Buy the bottle stuff and then add your own seasoning is the best way to go. But I prefer to the 'make from scratch' method for meat sauce, just seem to have more flavour to it.

It just takes a really long time, got a recipe that takes about 2 hrs, if not more.:o

Add a little water and oregano. Heat it up, and voila, a spicy and delicious Italian tasting spaghetti sauce.

It works!

It's 20bt

Great idea, I'll try this next time the missus makes nam prik ong.

It works!

It's 20bt

Or make your own :) from http://AsiaRecipe.com/thaicurry.html#ong

• Northern Thai Tomato-&-Meat Sauce
    (Naam Prik Ong)
    Yield: 4 servings

Description
    Not unlike a That version of spaghetti sauce, this is from the regional cuisine of north Thailand. Note: Dried shrimp and shrimp paste give off a strong aroma during cooking, but the flavor mellows.
    Ingredients
    1/4 lb Pork tenderloin
    1 ts Minced fresh lemon grass
    2 ts Vegetable oil
    1 lb Ripe plum tomatoes, chopped 1 tb Minced garlic (3 cloves)
    1 lg Shallot, minced
    1/2 c Defatted chicken stock or water
    2 Serrano chilies, with seeds, chopped
    1 tb Fish sauce
    1 ts Tiny dried shrimp, minced,-or 1/2 tsp. shrimp paste
    1 ts Sugar

Method
    Place pork in a food processor and using an on/off motion, process until it is ground. Alternatively, chop pork with a sharp knife. Set aside.
    In a heavy, medium-sized saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add garlic and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes, or until browned. Add shallots, chilies, dried shrimp or shrimp paste and lemon grass and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the pork and stir-fry for about 1 minute, or until browned. Add tomatoes, stock or water, fish sauce and sugar and increase the heat to high. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes, or until the mixture boils vigorously. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Serve with sticky rice.
    Serves 4 as a main dish or 6 in combination with other dishes.
    64 CALORIES FOR EACH OF 6 SERVINGS: 6 G PROTEIN, 3 G FAT, 5 G CARBOHYDRATE; 127 MG SODIUM; 15 MG CHOLESTEROL.
    aniline.gif

It works!

It's 20bt

Great idea, I'll try this next time the missus makes nam prik ong.

Don't forget to sprinkle a little Parmesan!

BTW, where is the best deal on olive oil? Say, a 1litre bottle?

Italy?

Greece? Tunisia? Croatia?

None of the above! When I lived in Spain I used to pay about 5 Euros for 5 litre jugs of virgin olive oil from the farmers in the villages.

The last time I visited Spain there were loads of pesetas to the pound...old age sad.gif but I do recall olive oil being dirt cheap. smile.gif

It's 20bt

Add a some olive oil too!

Problem with making your own sauce here is you have to use the local sour tomatoes. Beefsteaks will not set fruit unless the night temps are below 65F, so there is a short window of time to grow them. That's why all the tomatoes from the tropical Asian climes are small...and none too sweet. Their photosynthesis is much briefer than that big sweet Brandywine you chowed down on in Claifornia.