Harrow (Hello) !

tigerfish

it cuts both ways though !

found myself in all my years over here still finding what should be a relatively simple thing to explain to someone, a trying and testing ordeal, even with a bit of thai thrown in.

but, it can be equally frustrating when the tables are reversed. especially when my wife is asked when we are back in the U.K. where she lives ? she replies and is then met with the same questions with an almost bemused look when she answers for the second and third time with the same answer. with the recipient still thinking that she is Japanese and just being polite by saying HELLO. huh.gif bless ! smile.gif

I met a Thai in a bar once and he kept on asking me, how are you. It sounded like howuuuuuu you? After telling him for the 6 times that I was fine , I found out he was asking me how old are you. That's why he kept on asking me the same question

Was recently visiting a guest staying at a well known hotel in Chiang Mai.

I arrived on my motorbike and asked a security guard politely where should I park?

He replied; fark ofer yaa and waved his arm at me but sounded more like <deleted>> off you. I said, PARDON? He again replied fark ofer yaa and then pointed to an area.

Seconds before I was about to smack the guy in the mush I caught on that he was saying; park over there.

Amazing the language barrier and how things can easily be misinterpreted.