About To Make The Big Move, But How To Avoid Bitterness And Regret

bassyfarang

Bitterness and regret are the result of disillusionment.

The facile solution is to have no illusions but then there would be no dreams and no magic and Thailand without them is not Thailand.

Have an adventure. Give the illusions a chance, because some of them may not be, but don't get attached to them unless they have clearly proved not to be.

To be out of the clutches of Western culture and not yet within those of the Thai is a rare freedom which can help you redefine your life without the pressure of family and society and the temptation of one-upmanship.

Take stock of your values and situation regularly and you will do just fine. You seem honest enough with yourself to enjoy the journey.

I wish you well.

By far the most succinct advice, this really is where you want to be. That's true freedom.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A lot of sound advice......

Oooh ... sound is another BIG issue. The best reason to "never buy". Zoning laws etc just don't get enforced here ... even in the countryside you may find the village PA system kicking in EARLY and loud!

Bring some good earplugs if you are sensitive!

Packs of dogs, packs of roosters, village leader armed with sound pulse weapon on a stick.

Another thing. Upcountry, afterdark, anywhere outside the bounds of your house is ruled by dogs. They can be vicious. They hunt in packs. They are man eater soi sharks.

Use the Ford Ranger you bought as an amoured personnel carrier.

Yes, I read a lot of stories about dogs eating people in Northern Thailand.

I was chased up the road by a pack of over a dozen the other year. Rear tyre blew out on the scooter device, so there I am, sparking up the road, slithering with feral hounds snapping at my heals . . .

Visa runners are probably the majority of the foreign "community".I was making a distinction between this lot and properly authorised young professionals with the right visas.In answer to your question there are many many foreigners illegally doing business.Everybody knows a few (don't you as a regular on the visa running threads?), particularly in the EFL "community" - not exactly the best face of expatriates in Thailand.

So, 'this lot' would include people on Non-imm 'O' or 'B' multi-entry visas requiring a visa-run every 90 days? How is this not 'properly authorised'?

Anyway, the OP, I'm sure, will be able to recognise many distinctions, including the one you allude to, if indeed it exists.

People are of all manner of types, not best described by their visa or employment status, nor their nationality.

In short, any life-changing decision will be measured successful or otherwise by how happy you are. This state of mind will not change because you move location, well not permanently anyway.

I wish the OP all the best.

Cheers,

Biff

A lot of sound advice......

Oooh ... sound is another BIG issue. The best reason to "never buy". Zoning laws etc just don't get enforced here ... even in the countryside you may find the village PA system kicking in EARLY and loud!

Packs of dogs, packs of roosters, village leader armed with sound pulse weapon on a stick.

Another thing. Upcountry, afterdark, anywhere outside the bounds of your house is ruled by dogs. They can be vicious. They hunt in packs. They are man eater soi sharks.

Absolutely, I get killed by dogs every time I go out at night up north, and the chickens peck out my eyes and give me chicken-rabies/dengue fever/malaria and, much to Ms Tastic's horror, ATMitis! And the ghosts, watch out for the ghosts! Apparently it's bad luck to be killed by a ghost.

The ear-plugs thing is very good advice, Thailand has to be one of the noisiest places in the world.

My friends in London look at my photos of rural northern Thailand and comment on how beautifully peaceful it looks! :lol:

Something or other across the river in Laos (probably a ghost) wakes up a chicken which wakes up a rooster which wakes up a dog which wakes up all the other dogs who wake up all the people...no, they all sleep through it, it's just me that wakes up! This sound wave can be heard heading due south across the whole country. Then I drift off back to sleep only to be woken up in half an hour (again, just me) by the truck with the loud speakers selling spanners at 5 am!

Still, wouldn't swap it for the Romford Road though :)

Edited by bifftastic

Absolutely, I get killed by dogs every time I go out at night up north, and the chickens peck out my eyes and give me chicken-rabies/dengue fever/malaria and, much to Ms Tastic's horror, ATMitis! And the ghosts, watch out for the ghosts! Apparently it's bad luck to be killed by a ghost.

There's a ghost in this house.

Rent. It's been said so many times over the years, but it is the best advice I ever had. The stories about the perfect places that became hellholes after the bar opened next door are true.

Inlaws. Don't get pressured to enter into an LTR and when you do, keep the inlaws and relatives at a safe distance. Only you know what that safe distance will be, but it means one has to go slow. Some people hit the jackpot with wonderful new families, others get Kip the drip and Lek the leach etc.

Investing. Follow the advice of so many in here, unless its a house to hold the wife & kids, don't bother until you have been here for some time. Remember the rule about not investing unless you are prepared to lose the investment. Don't respond to "if you don't buy now, you will lose out on a fantastic opportunity". For every house or business venture you pass on, a new one is always available soon after.

Adapt, but don't go jungle. Adapting means being able to sit with the family or locals and engage in a regular family meal or live in harmony with the locals. Going jungle is wearing fisherman pants in an Isaan village, shaving your head and carrying on about Dharma when you eally haven't a clue, despite having read a book, and refering to Thailand as your country. Until you have citizenship, it is not your country and the government will treat you accordingly.. You are a legal resident with limited rights. Never forget that..

Dress appropriately. Clothes do make the man (or woman). I won't admit it to my friends when they tell me I dress like a bum at times and will be treated as such, but they are right. The staff in offices both private and government can be quite judgemental.

Manners. Even though, some people can get away with being rude and pushy, the polite people do better in the long run here. That doesn't mean being a pushover. One can be firm, yet polite. It's that face thing. Don't yell. If someone doesn't understand, yelling at them won't make them understand any better.

Medical care. Don't be cheap or stupid. Use common sense and have your annual checkups, Be sure to check for skin cancer signs. Don't be shy about the exams like a prostate poke or a colonoscopy. These two exams can save your life.

Be kind to animals, be compassionate to the poor, don't litter and don't dump toxic wastes down the drain. No it's not about surviving, but about being a responsible adult. If you can keep these qualities it will make a difference and remind you that even when things are pear shaped, You are still a good person.

Please, please never wear a thong at the beach, grab your girlfriend's boobs (or boyfriend's bum) in public.

To those who are bickering on another guys topic

I know many Thai girls who fall in love the foreigners, then the foreigner goes home after a holiday, or for other reasons. I think some Thai women like to have a steady relationship with a guy who is gonna stay here, that is why the 2 year point.

Women want security, they want a guy who is working here and can stay here for a long period of time, no mummies boys.

Age differences have no place in Thai society, those who have been here long enough should know that!!!!

To the OP, just come, enjoy it, if it does not meet your expectations then you have the opportunity to go somewhere else.

You need to bear in mind there are people like me who have been married 5 years and only spend about 5 months a year in Thailand with my wife which is very hard at times. There is no one scenario what works for some doesnt for others no two people are the same.

to the OP:

The Thailand you think you will be moving to is simply not the one you will be living in.

My first visit here was December 1990.

I have been coming back 2x/year since and adapting my views on this country ever since.

For 20 years I also traveled 2x/year to the USA and have NOT adapted my views much.

Here lays the difference :whistling:

The ear-plugs thing is very good advice, Thailand has to be one of the noisiest places in the world.

My friends in London look at my photos of rural northern Thailand and comment on how beautifully peaceful it looks! :lol:

Something or other across the river in Laos (probably a ghost) wakes up a chicken which wakes up a rooster which wakes up a dog which wakes up all the other dogs who wake up all the people...no, they all sleep through it, it's just me that wakes up! This sound wave can be heard heading due south across the whole country. Then I drift off back to sleep only to be woken up in half an hour (again, just me) by the truck with the loud speakers selling spanners at 5 am!

Still, wouldn't swap it for the Romford Road though :)

The Romford Road makes Issan look like Monaco, lived on that road for a few months.

If thinking of living in Thailand there is only one important factor to remember that can be explained in one word: MONEY.

Do you have enough liquid assets to support yourself through the good times and the bad times?

Can you sustain yourself through any economic decline?

Can you survive in Thailand if no work or in between jobs?

Could you live comfortably and not be on the bare minimum?

Do you have reserve funds for a rainy day?

Could you satisfy Immigration by having the right amount of money in a Thai bank account without having to do border runs?

If the answer to all my questions above is yes, then the rest mentioned on your list will naturally fall into place and no need to worry.

If no to any of my questions, then think again before moving here. In Thailand if you fall down no one is going to pick you up, not your ex pat pals, not your embassy and probably not your friends and family in your own country.

Thailand is not so cheap as some believe and many the mighty have fallen here.

My answer to your question is: if you want to avoid bitterness and regret, plan it right and think carefully, it`s not about what you want to do, but can you afford to do it.

Edited by Beetlejuice

OP has his head screwed on which is the Number One! fundamental requirement needed for living out here.

For what it's worth, my advice;

You don't need to be romantically involved with anyone;

You don't need to use 'paid for' services;

Rent, at a suitable cost (do not compare with Blighty or the US, we are talking pennies here);

Rent, outside of tourist areas;

Rent, a secure property;

Rent, a furnished property;

Make sure you get utility bills directly from the utility provider;

Don't even look at Pattaya, it doesn't exist to you (I will get slammed for that but it's where so many fall foul of this place);

Learn to use the national public transport network effectively, it's cheap and it's easy;

Bring fancy gadgets, difficult to get here although not impossible, but certainly more expensive in many instances (I also recommend a good multitool, like a Leatherman Charge with tool bit kit);

Bring a proper crash helmet if you intend to ride a scooter or motorcycle, the helmets here are basically plastic buckets;

Buy a scooter, they are handy, maintain it well (an oil change will cost you around 100 Baht, I have a thing about this after both the bike engine and the truck engine and just about everything else blew up last year!);

If you're loaded buy a truck, not necessarily a new one, a basic 5 year old Ford Ranger in perfect condition with 100,000km can be had for around 250k, they don't depreciate much after this and are savagely cheap to maintain;

Get Class 'A' vehicle insurance;

Drive with extreme caution, don't get angry, take it easy, make sure the aircon is fully charged;

Get medical insurance!, AIA, BUPA etc;

Find the nice expats (there are some seriously bad ones), make friends, join an expat club in your area;

Start a current account, also look at getting a Forex account (depends on visa);

Do a TEFL course before you come over, bring any educational certificates with you;

Find a Makro, they are a lifeline especially if you end up living deep in the sticks as I do;

It will take you ages to learn the language, it's 76,000 bit encrypted;

Get on the right visa, it can get tricky if you're not married to a Thai, have kids here or at retirement age with loadsamoney;

Don't throw money about. Claim to be rather poor, no great shows of wealth, you'll attract serious problems;

Find fun that doesn't involve being persistently inebriated or 'inside' another person;

Be a bit 'cheap', find a cheap but comfortable way of living;

Careful with rice consumption, it's high glycemic index, find 'black rice' otherwise known as 'forbidden rice', that's good for you;

Understand the smiling thing, it's not really smiling unless it is actually smiling which it quite often is.

Oh! . . . and a whole bunch of other stuff.

That's an excellent list, except for..

No romantic involvements or "paid for " services...

Didn't you and I have a brief exchange after you posted that you no longer have much/any sex-drive? If so, you must realize that most men under 65 still have one, and so that bit of advice is likely to go unheeded.

And..

Staying away from Pattaya? Come on, moralistic high-roaders aside, it has to be the easiest Thai city to live in as a foreigner. Nearly every product/service they are used to is here. It can can viewed as a "soft-immersion" experience. A stepping-stone to a more "authentic" experience in other Thai cities....

Or do you subscribe to Oscar Wilde's position that he "could resist anything except temptation" :lol:

Visa runners are probably the majority of the foreign "community".I was making a distinction between this lot and properly authorised young professionals with the right visas.In answer to your question there are many many foreigners illegally doing business.Everybody knows a few (don't you as a regular on the visa running threads?), particularly in the EFL "community" - not exactly the best face of expatriates in Thailand.

So, 'this lot' would include people on Non-imm 'O' or 'B' multi-entry visas requiring a visa-run every 90 days? How is this not 'properly authorised'?

Anyway, the OP, I'm sure, will be able to recognise many distinctions, including the one you allude to, if indeed it exists.

People are of all manner of types, not best described by their visa or employment status, nor their nationality.

In short, any life-changing decision will be measured successful or otherwise by how happy you are. This state of mind will not change because you move location, well not permanently anyway.

I wish the OP all the best.

Cheers,

Biff

It is just a common theme Jayboy brings up when replying to me or responding in threads that I post in. Then, of course, he denies it is about me :) I do respond with visa, location information etc on other threads to try and be helpful, apparently he notices my posts wherever they are :)

A lot of good advice here to be found amongst the rants and blathering. Just do the winnowing yourself, and try to avoid the personal sniping.

One thing not mentioned: don't burn all your bridges.

Meaning, come to Thailand and enjoy it all, taking or ignoring all the advice given, but ensure you do have a way to return if it comes to a time when you want to leave. There are some who want to return (or should) but have nothing to return to and have burnt those bridges. Make sure you keep at least the possibility of returning if you decide after a few years that this really isn't where you want to spend all your declining years.

Staying away from Pattaya? Come on, moralistic high-roaders aside, it has to be the easiest Thai city to live in as a foreigner. Nearly every product/service they are used to is here. It can can viewed as a "soft-immersion" experience. A stepping-stone to a more "authentic" experience in other Thai cities....

Or do you subscribe to Oscar Wilde's position that he "could resist anything except temptation" :lol:

No...Pattaya is a cr@phole. Horses for courses (of course 5555).

Didn't you and I have a brief exchange after you posted that you no longer have much/any sex-drive? If so, you must realize that most men under 65 still have one, and so that bit of advice is likely to go unheeded.

My personal theory is that most of the Puritanical types are suffering from this little problem. However, I'm pretty sure that I have a few good years left before I have to jump on that particular bandwagon. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

In the 1970's I worked in Downtown Chicago. I lived 25 blocks from where I worked. Beautiful condo on the 27th floor with a spectacular view of Lake Michigan. To get from work I could take a taxi home on Lake shore drive nothing but millionaire residences or I could take a bus down Clark street back when hold up men would rob buses on Clark street. Or I could walk down Clark street. Clark street was a lot like Pattaya. Hookers, muggers, drunks, people out to party.

Chicago is a big city much like Bangkok. People from the suburbs might come into town once a month mostly to complain how dangerous it was.

Ah, but downtown Chicago had the clubs, restaurants, theater, hookers, bars; it had the action.

Pattaya has a bad side. Pattaya has a good side. Some people like action, excitement on one day and peace and quiet another day. You can do that in Pattaya. I miss it. Where I live now it is peace and quiet every day.

Because I like variety does not make me a bad person or Pattaya a bad city.

Cue moralistic "high-roader"....

You also think all the service girls are ugly, at least the one you see on your daily constitutional on lower Suhkumvit....

Completely missing all the Northern Thai ladies working the Thai-oriented Massage/Gentlemen's Clubs :licklips:

You are Thai or Luk Krueng, correct? Any possibilty you share the common Central Thai prejudice against your Issan countrymen ( 40% of the Thai population )? Since Pattaya is actually an Issan city by population if not geography.

:wai:

OP, if you are bitter and full of regret now in your home country, you will end up that way here too. If you're not bitter and regretful now, I don't think you'll be that way here. Thailand doesn't do this to people, the Internet does! :P By that I mean that many people post awful, mean things on here and all over the Internet, because they are anonymous. I'd say most of these miserable-sounding old gits would be perfectly pleasant people IRL. Just IMHO...

OP has his head screwed on which is the Number One! fundamental requirement needed for living out here.

For what it's worth, my advice;

You don't need to be romantically involved with anyone;

You don't need to use 'paid for' services;

Rent, at a suitable cost (do not compare with Blighty or the US, we are talking pennies here);

Rent, outside of tourist areas;

Rent, a secure property;

Rent, a furnished property;

Make sure you get utility bills directly from the utility provider;

Don't even look at Pattaya, it doesn't exist to you (I will get slammed for that but it's where so many fall foul of this place);

Learn to use the national public transport network effectively, it's cheap and it's easy;

Bring fancy gadgets, difficult to get here although not impossible, but certainly more expensive in many instances (I also recommend a good multitool, like a Leatherman Charge with tool bit kit);

Bring a proper crash helmet if you intend to ride a scooter or motorcycle, the helmets here are basically plastic buckets;

Buy a scooter, they are handy, maintain it well (an oil change will cost you around 100 Baht, I have a thing about this after both the bike engine and the truck engine and just about everything else blew up last year!);

If you're loaded buy a truck, not necessarily a new one, a basic 5 year old Ford Ranger in perfect condition with 100,000km can be had for around 250k, they don't depreciate much after this and are savagely cheap to maintain;

Get Class 'A' vehicle insurance;

Drive with extreme caution, don't get angry, take it easy, make sure the aircon is fully charged;

Get medical insurance!, AIA, BUPA etc;

Find the nice expats (there are some seriously bad ones), make friends, join an expat club in your area;

Start a current account, also look at getting a Forex account (depends on visa);

Do a TEFL course before you come over, bring any educational certificates with you;

Find a Makro, they are a lifeline especially if you end up living deep in the sticks as I do;

It will take you ages to learn the language, it's 76,000 bit encrypted;

Get on the right visa, it can get tricky if you're not married to a Thai, have kids here or at retirement age with loadsamoney;

Don't throw money about. Claim to be rather poor, no great shows of wealth, you'll attract serious problems;

Find fun that doesn't involve being persistently inebriated or 'inside' another person;

Be a bit 'cheap', find a cheap but comfortable way of living;

Careful with rice consumption, it's high glycemic index, find 'black rice' otherwise known as 'forbidden rice', that's good for you;

Understand the smiling thing, it's not really smiling unless it is actually smiling which it quite often is.

Oh! . . . and a whole bunch of other stuff.

That's an excellent list, except for..

No romantic involvements or "paid for " services...

And..

Yup, zero, never been happier.

It's not the moral high ground, I really couldn't care less about brasses, hell that's all over Thailand (as it is in the West, just need to look in Exchange & Mart). It is about falling at the first post if you like. So many of these would be expats end up there and are consumed in its fiery belly only to be spat out again.

Many a cautionary tale of woe available in bars, books and internet.

Any of these northern provincial towns are easier to live in. Roi-Et is perfect, well for my needs at least. Recommend the OP starts somewhere like that.

My personal theory is that most of the Puritanical types are suffering from this little problem. However, I'm pretty sure that I have a few good years left before I have to jump on that particular bandwagon. :D

Yup obviously. :jap:

There are pills for that by the way. Check with a physician first, always read the label.

It is just a common theme Jayboy brings up when replying to me or responding in threads that I post in. Then, of course, he denies it is about me :) I do respond with visa, location information etc on other threads to try and be helpful, apparently he notices my posts wherever they are :)

For crying out <deleted>' loud... +13000 posts and doesn't know about the ignore button?

Stalker my arse... you love it!

Take it OUTSIDE children.

The OP hasn't said anything really about plans for work, retirement or income... basic components of what's needed to sustain a reasonable life anywhere let alone LOS.

Yes it's comparatively cheap but it's still all expenditures... all outgoing. What's the income looking like?

There was a rash of posts from UK retirees about 2 years ago when Sterling tanked, seeking cheaper this, that and the other. There was also some good posts by some who had managed to address their budget but most sounded like they were in serious crisis mode.

IMHO, regarding the financial crisis, we haven't seen anything yet. So after working out a reasonable budget based on current income versus expenditures, whack that with a 30% devaluation of your income and see if you can pass that 'stress test'.

Then buy your ticket and come on down!

Edited by NanLaew

If thinking of living in Thailand there is only one important factor to remember that can be explained in one word: MONEY.

Do you have enough liquid assets to support yourself through the good times and the bad times?

Can you sustain yourself through any economic decline?

Can you survive in Thailand if no work or in between jobs?

Could you live comfortably and not be on the bare minimum?

Do you have reserve funds for a rainy day?

Could you satisfy Immigration by having the right amount of money in a Thai bank account without having to do border runs?

If the answer to all my questions above is yes, then the rest mentioned on your list will naturally fall into place and no need to worry.

If no to any of my questions, then think again before moving here. In Thailand if you fall down no one is going to pick you up, not your ex pat pals, not your embassy and probably not your friends and family in your own country.

Thailand is not so cheap as some believe and many the mighty have fallen here.

My answer to your question is: if you want to avoid bitterness and regret, plan it right and think carefully, it`s not about what you want to do, but can you afford to do it.

It is impossible to say if I have enough to be able to afford it, which is why I refer to not spending beyond my means. I believe that if one spends 1 baht less a month than one earns, one can be relaxed about finances and so, in conjunction with other things, have a fulfilling life. I have modest UK properties that are not mortgaged and that with an occupancy rate of 85% after agents fees, tax a maintenance currently provide about 100k (baht) a month and I have other investments that currently provide about 15-20k (bath) a month (so the capital values here are not huge). I will also bring about 2 million baht cash to live off for the first couple of years. My UK occupational pensions are small and I am 27 years away from being able to take a pension at NRD from these.

But my plan is to work, teaching English (20 - 30k a month - I hope). I am not currently a teacher, but like the idea of settling into the sticks and getting a teaching job. If I have no job, I risk falling apart. My plan is to live of 60k a month, or maybe less. I believe that if I had just 20k a month, provided the rest of my life was in shape, and I was not spending beyond my means, I would be just as happy than with more, hell maybe even more happy as it would force me to be more resourceful.

Cue moralistic "high-roader"....

You also think all the service girls are ugly, at least the one you see on your daily constitutional on lower Suhkumvit....

Completely missing all the Northern Thai ladies working the Thai-oriented Massage/Gentlemen's Clubs :licklips:

You are Thai or Luk Krueng, correct? Any possibilty you share the common Central Thai prejudice against your Issan countrymen ( 40% of the Thai population )? Since Pattaya is actually an Issan city by population if not geography.

:wai:

meh,

nothing moralistic about it. I have no philosophical problem with what goes on in Patters. If walking down the beach in speedos, which your guts hanging out with a bored looking Isaan princess on your arm is your thing, then knock yourself out buddy.

I think the place is a fourth-rate Costa del Yob, and that is being generous.

In terms of places to live, well you have a higher percentage of <deleted> and tosspots concentrated in one location than you normally would find elsewhere (both Thai's and foreigners).

It is overpriced, tacky and hardly like anywhere else in Thailand. I presume if you are coming to live in Thailand you'd actually like some semblance of Thai-ness to your local environs. Patters has a diluted version of it, with is then dumbed down alot more for the consumers of what Patters has on offer.

As for the rest of your comment, my taste in the opposite sex doesn't guide where I decide to live, if it did, it wouldn't be anywhere in Asia...more likely somewhere in Scandinavia.