Non Immagrit O Visa (marriage)

Non Immagrit O Visa questions are very popular on this forum. Most everyone has a different situation and questions of their own.

People discover Thailand everyday and some end up falling in love with not only the country but with a resident of Thailand as well.

It is safe to assume that people will constantly refer back to Thai Visa forum to search for the basic information needed to start and sustain a Non-Immagrit O visa.

I know you can eventually find the information doing a search on Thai visa, but for new people, who are new to the Thai visa process, this can take a long time.

If possible, could the powers that be post (pin) the basic information at the top of "Thai visas, residency and work permits"?

:o

This whole topic has been covered time and time again.

Please use the search facility.

I think there is a pointer to the summary on the main www.thaivisa.com

home page.

I know its been discussed over and over. I have used the search feature and the answer is out there but sometimes finding the answer to my questions is like looking for life in outer space.

All I am saying is post the basics to start and maintain a Non-Immagrit O visa.

More people are getting married than playing on the football team but football has its own thread on Thai visa.

Have you forgot what its like to be new to Thailand?

home page.

I know its been discussed over and over. I have used the search feature and the answer is out there but sometimes finding the answer to my questions is like looking for life in outer space.

More people are getting married than playing on the football team but football has its own thread on Thai visa.

Have you forgot what its like to be new to Thailand?

I am with you richard I do not have a problem giving out the info when the question comes up If I can help someone like I got helped when I needed the Info then why not ? anyway if the others that think it should not be hashed over everytime some one new asks can choose to ignore the thread :o

home page.

I am glad the forum has a search facility but this seems to be somehow limited, unless I missed something.

First, I found the search box at the end of the forum page. Then I discovered the “Search” button, next the help topic “Searching Topics and Posts”. Now I tried to use the forum’s search facility the way I would search with a web browser, and it does not work that way. The forum’s search lets me search only with one keyword or one key phrase at a time.

Take, for example, Astral’s post quoted above. It contains the words “search” and “topic”. I type these keywords into the search box and hit enter: neither his post nor the thread containing it is among the results. Now I use the query “search AND topic”, without the quotation marks. No success.

“search OR topic”, on the other hand, works and gives a lot of results, but that’s not what I want. I want to find all posts containing both “search” and “topic”, with the second word not necessarily immediately following the first word.

To carry out a search to find all posts related to the subject of a permanent stay for a foreigner married to a Thai lady I might try the following search if only it were possible: (married OR marriage) AND (“thai lady” OR “thai wife”) AND (visa OR “non-immigrant” OR “non immigrant” OR “non-O”). Possible, it is, but not with the expected result.

Edited by maestro

Sometimes I think the people with several hundred or maybe thousands of post get some kind of satisfaction by telling people to use the search function.

I would prefer (IMHO) those people not to reply at all because their comments about using search are about as useful as used toilet paper.

No we have not forgotten what it is like to be new to Thailand.

Go to the first page of the Thai Visa site www.thaivisa.com and look for the link to

"marriage".

That will take you to the page where the basics are revealled.

Very easy really!! :o

A Search on the word Marriage will give you 1000 items to look through

with every kind of detail you could ever want.

Thanks to Thaivisa.com. :D

Edited by astral

• 3 weeks later...

richard10365, Rules for Non-Immagrit "O" visa Class Dependent's Visa.

Immigration Bureau

Soi Suan Plu

South Sathorn Road

Bangkok 10120

Thailand

Tel: (02) 287-3101-10

Office hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30-16.30

Saturday, 8.30-12.00

Requirements when applying for one-year marriage (extension) visa: (first year)

-Bring all your original documents, passport, passbook, your Thai wife and her ID card

-Non-immigrant visa code O from Thai embassy abroad (“O” Class Dependent's Visa)

-Copy of passport

-Copy of your wife’s ID card

-One photo of yourself (4x6 cm)

-Marriage certificate

-Registration book of your Thai wife’s house (if any)

-At least 400.000 Baht in Thai bank OR proof of income not less

then 40.000 Baht per month OR combination of funds and income

-Receipt from your transferred bank abroad

-Certified letter from your bank in Thailand (not more then seven days old)

-Copy of bank passbook (all pages)

-Copy of all documents is required with your signature (wife’s signature on her copy)

-Application fee: 1.900 Baht

-And a big smile!

Some photos of you and your wife together at home are also required the first year

when application is for support of Thai wife.

Extension of one-year marriage visa: (second and third year)

-Bring your passport, passbook, your Thai wife and her ID card

-At least 400.000 Baht in Thai bank OR proof of income not less

then 40.000 Baht per month OR combination of funds and income

-Receipt from your transferred bank abroad

-Certified letter from your bank in Thailand (not more then seven days old)

-Copy of passport with your signature

-Copy of your wife’s ID card with her signature

-Copy of bank passbook (all pages) with your signature

-One photo of yourself

-Application fee

The officers at Immigration are also very polite, friendly, helpful and quickly.

The whole process takes about six weeks and you will receive the extension of stay.

After you have received your extension of stay you can apply for re-entry visa

single or multiple entries.

After three years stay on one-year marriage (extension) visa, you are qualified to apply for residence visa and residence book in Thailand.

Special Thanks to:

Immigration Bureau

Whiplash

Dr. Pat Pong

Easymoney

Opalhort

Madsere

(lopburi3)

Note: I have made some changes from an old thread I posted last year.

200.000 Baht are now 400.000 Baht in Thai bank account.

"Marriage' Visa"

There is actually no such thing as a “marriage visa” in Thailand. Foreign nationals who are married to Thai citizens are entitled to apply for an “O” Class Dependent's Visa. Applicants must be able to prove that they have either B400.000 deposited in a Thai bank account, or have a guaranteed monthly income of B40.000, or a combination of the two, so that your total income is equal to or greater than B400.000 per annum. (Source: Sutlet Group Co., Ltd.)

Good luck!

"Marriage' Visa"

There is actually no such thing as a “marriage visa” in Thailand. Foreign nationals who are married to Thai citizens are entitled to apply for an “O” Class Dependent's Visa. Applicants must be able to prove that they have either B400.000 deposited in a Thai bank account, or have a guaranteed monthly income of B40.000, or a combination of the two, so that your total income is equal to or greater than B400.000 per annum. (Source: Sutlet Group Co., Ltd.)

This is not clear as a visa allows only a 90 day stay for visitation. Married to a Thai you are permitted to apply for a non immigrant O visa to visit your spouse for up to 90 days per stay. There is no requirement for income or a bank account to receive this visa.

What requires income/bank account is an extension of stay from this visa on a yearly basis.

Non-Immigrant Visa

For the purpose of visiting family (Type “O”)

*** Non-immigrant visas will not be issued for such purposes as tourism, seeking employment opportunities, looking for a school for teaching or studying purposes, etc.

*** The Consulate will consider the application on a case-by-case basis and may ask for additional documents.

Validity of visa

The validity of visa is 3 months for a single-entry and 1 year for a multiple-entry.

Period of stay

Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 90 days per entry.

Extension of stay may be granted to the Thai Immigration Bureau, please visit www.imm.police.go.th for additional information.

Fee

$50 for a single-entry , $125 for a multiple-entry.

The fee must be paid in the form of MONEY ORDER or CASHIER’S CHECK only payable to “ROYAL THAI CONSULATE GENERAL LOS ANGELES”. Personal of company checks are NOT acceptable.

*** Regulations are subject to change without notice.***

Required documents

For the purpose of visiting family (Type “O”)

Your actual Passport or Travel Document.

(Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).

1 copy of Passport or Travel Document

(Picture page)

1 application form |Download|

(completed and signed by the applicant.)

2 photos

(Passport-type photo, 2” x 2”, color, front-view, taken within 6 months, and write your name and last name on the back of each photo).

To visit as a spouse of a Thai nationality, Fiance and Fiancee are not included in this category.

A copy of a valid and effective marriage certificate.

A copy of Thai passport /or Thai I.D. of the spouse.

A letter from the spouse verifying that the applicant and the spouse are still married and the purpose to

visit Thailand.

To visit as an immediate family member of a Thai nationality

The documents proving such relationship with the visa application e.g., Birth Certificate.

If you have a letter from your embassy stating you have an income of at least 40,000 baht/month do you need Receipt from your transferred bank abroad, Certified letter from your bank in Thailand (not more then seven days old), Copy of bank passbook (all pages)?

Yes or No? :o

You must have the bank letter (original) and passbook (plus front and current year pages copy). You do not need anything from your bank outside Thailand but should have a copy of transfer/exchange receipt that can be obtained from your bank here in Thailand - especially if passbook does not specify overseas transfer for the deposit.

The visa extension is support of Thai wife not how much income you have so the money in the bank here for that use is all important.

I'm still confused about a couple of points re the "marriage visa". It would appear that I have two options :

1. Go to, say, Penang and apply for a multi entry Non O on the basis of marriage. Documents required - passport, marriage cert, copy wife's ID card. No need to prove income of any sort.

2. Get a single entry on the above basis and apply later in Thailand for the year's extension. Now there's a need to show funds and is where I get confused.

I don't have 400,000 in a Thai bank acount, so would have to rely on the income of 40,000 pmth.

Now, if I can satisfy the Brit Embassy that I have this income through my business in the UK, will a letter to that effect satisfy the Thai authorities? The other thing to mention is that I don't transfer anything over to Thailand. I use ATMs to access my money from back home. I do not have a Thai bank account. It's easier for me to manage my business by leaving the money where it is.

So, another question would be is imm going to be further satisfied if they saw a monthly income of say 70,000 in the UK (from bank statements), 45,000 of which I drew out of Thai banks here?

Thanks.

I'm still confused about a couple of points re the "marriage visa". It would appear that I have two options :

1. Go to, say, Penang and apply for a multi entry Non O on the basis of marriage. Documents required - passport, marriage cert, copy wife's ID card. No need to prove income of any sort.

2. Get a single entry on the above basis and apply later in Thailand for the year's extension. Now there's a need to show funds and is where I get confused.

I don't have 400,000 in a Thai bank acount, so would have to rely on the income of 40,000 pmth.

Now, if I can satisfy the Brit Embassy that I have this income through my business in the UK, will a letter to that effect satisfy the Thai authorities? The other thing to mention is that I don't transfer anything over to Thailand. I use ATMs to access my money from back home. I do not have a Thai bank account. It's easier for me to manage my business by leaving the money where it is.

So, another question would be is imm going to be further satisfied if they saw a monthly income of say 70,000 in the UK (from bank statements), 45,000 of which I drew out of Thai banks here?

Thanks.

You seem to have option one only as you do not seem willing to abide by the requirements for option two.

OK, so if I opened a Thai bank account and transferred 40,000 a month from the UK, that would suffice?

It's not that I was unwilling to have done so in the past, I simply wasn't married until 2 months ago and had thought that an income of over 40,000 a month from wherever in the world would be OK. That's the issue I was getting confused about.

If you could clarify the above re transfers, I think that everything will be cleared up for me.

Again, thanks.

OK, so if I opened a Thai bank account and transferred 40,000 a month from the UK, that would suffice?

It's not that I was unwilling to have done so in the past, I simply wasn't married until 2 months ago and had thought that an income of over 40,000 a month from wherever in the world would be OK. That's the issue I was getting confused about.

If you could clarify the above re transfers, I think that everything will be cleared up for me.

Again, thanks.

That would surly look much better to immigration but I suspect without a local job the important thing would be to meet the 400k in the bank account. But if you can not immediately meet that I would talk with your local immigration office as believe they will try to be helpful - but do open a bank account (can be joint) and get some money into it using wire transfers. It really is a good idea to have this available immediately in case of emergency.

You had listed everything not to do in your last post which is why I was short with you. ATM receipts are not really appreciated. Bank account is always required. Transfers required if no work permit so all in all not a very good picture of willingness to drive within the lines. :o

Thanks again for the reply, Lopburi. Don't worry about being "short", it wasn't taken that way.

As far as working locally is concerned and I've posted on this a while ago, if I'm doing so, it presupposes that I've got a non B and work permit. Why then, would I be applying for "marriage status"? My long term stay here is legalised through work. That's why I was asking about transferring money from a business abroad to meet the monthly income requirements.

Another aspect is that I'm off yet again to Ranong tomorrow for 30 days and needless to say I'm sick and tired of it.

Concieveably, the multi entry may well be my best bet next month.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to get at. I'm not attempting to find a way around the imm laws, just find out what they'll require. A trip to Prachuap, as you suggested, could well be in order next month as well.

I would make the run to Penang and obtain a multi entry as you then can use any entry (when you have an amount immigration will accept) to make the extension of stay request; unless you are sure to meet requirements in the first 90 day stay.

The reason for using an O visa rather than B is that if you lose your job you can still stay in Thailand. If you are on a I extension of stay and lose your job you have a week or two to get out of town. Not a good position to be in (and some employers know it). The second factor is the amount of pay required to extend - for work B extension you have to make about 60k per month (varies with nationality) but for wife support it is only 40k per month.

Edited by lopburi3

I'm as puzzled as always with these "wife support" requirements. I am nearly at the end of my first one year extension to an O visa that was based on money in the bank, wired from abroad. Around the same time I got the extension, I got a work permit and salary that would be enough for the B extension (which I don't want for the security reasons given above).

Is documenting the salary enough to renew the "wife support" extension in lieu of the bank balance? Or do I need the balance no matter what? If I need the balance, can documenting the salary remove the need to document transfers from abroad?

I think I can document it multiple ways this year, but I am trying to understand all the methods that I might want to rely on in future years as well... just when I think I have it figured, my wife calls the immigration folks and gets a different confusing answer, or a thread pops up here to similar effect. :o

I'm as puzzled as always with these "wife support" requirements.  I am nearly at the end of my first one year extension to an O visa that was based on money in the bank, wired from abroad. Around the same time I got the extension, I got a work permit and salary that would be enough for the B extension (which I don't want for the security reasons given above).

Is documenting the salary enough to renew the "wife support" extension in lieu of the bank balance?  Or do I need the balance no matter what? If I need the balance, can documenting the salary remove the need to document transfers from abroad?

I think I can document it multiple ways this year, but I am trying to understand all the methods that I might want to rely on in future years as well... just when I think I have it figured, my wife calls the immigration folks and gets a different confusing answer, or a thread pops up here to similar effect.  :o

I don't believe there is a hard and fast answer and that is probably why you get different answers. The design of this is to have proof on hand that you can support for the time period the extension of stay covers (one year) and the 400k in a bank account is considered the amount you will need. Now a job is fine and should eliminate the need to document foreign transfers but it can end tomorrow so to use that as proof you can support your wife in the future is probably not going to fly (most days). But this in my judgement rather than anything I have seen official. I would always recommend the 400k in the bank if not over 50 and having a provable pension. But it is probably always worth talking one on one rather than accept anything not in writing as gospel. Policy can change over time.

With regard to the 400k in the bank. If I transfer 400k to my thai bank account from the UK and simply just leave it there on a permanent basis.

And use my UK ATM card for day to day living is that sufficient for Immigration. Or do they really need to see activity in the account.

I do not understand why they would as the Bank Book would show the date the money was deposited and todays current balance which would meet the 400k requirement I cannot see anywhere that there has to be activity shown on the account??

Thanks

With regard to the 400k in the bank.  If I transfer 400k to my thai bank account from the UK and simply just leave it there on a permanent basis.

And use my UK ATM card for day to day living is that sufficient for Immigration.  Or do they really need to see activity in the account.

I do not understand why they would as the Bank Book would show the date the money was deposited and todays current balance which would meet the 400k requirement I cannot see anywhere that there has to be activity shown on the account??

Thanks

Again. The 400k is to be used to support your Thai wife. If it is not used you are obviously 'not' supporting your Thai wife and thus not entitled to a support Thai wife extension of stay. Seems really easy to understand.

Now they may not deny the extension of stay but I suspect it will be up to current policy rather than any yes or no laws. If I were planning a lifetime here I do not believe I would want to do something like that to save the cost of one or two wire transfers.

Exactly. If you draw 40,000 a mth from ATMs, far better to live off your first 400,000 and "top up" the balance as necessary through wire transfers using your savings back home for the second year etc etc.

I'm sure that you'll find that's a more economical way of doing it anyway.