Yellow Shirts Pledge Prolonged Protest Against Abhisit Government

webfact

Yellow Shirts pledge prolonged protest against Abhisit government

BANGKOK, Jan 24 - Thailand's key yellow-clad People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) leaders on Monday reasserted the group's planned protest against the Thai government Tuesday and threatened to prolong the rally nearby Government House until Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva responds to their demands over the Thai-Cambodian border dispute.

The PAD earlier announced its planned demonstration Tuesday afternoon at Makkawan Rangsan Bridge, just few metres from the government seat, to pressure the Abhisit administration to revoke the 2000 Memorandum of Understanding signed by Thailand and Cambodia concerning their border disputes.

The ultra nationalist movement claimed that the 2000 MoU puts Thailand at a disadvantage in handling such disputes with the neighbouring country.

Key PAD leader Gen Chamlong Srimuang said the yellow-clad rally will begin at 2pm, giving three demands to the prime minister: withdraw from the United Nations Education Scientific and Culture Organisation (UNESCO)'s World Heritage Committee, revoke the 2000 MoU signed with Cambodia and push Cambodian people now living in areas which they claim belong to Thailand back to their homeland.

Gen Chamlong said the PAD will assess the situation on a daily basis and pledged that his group will prolong its protest until the premier moves to "protect the country".

Following concerns over possible confrontation with the rival Red Shirts of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) which also plans to rally the same day, the Yellow Shirt leader said it is the duty of the police to maintain order to prevent clashes between the two groups.

National police chief Gen Wichean Potephosree on Monday pledged police would not allow any Yellow Shirt protesters to seize or block entrances to Government House and the Parliament during their Tuesday rally.

The police chief said 24 companies--3,600 police officers--have been assigned to standby to ensure law and order, as well as prevent any confrontation between the Yellow Shirts and their arch rival Red Shirts June 24 Group which is also scheduled to rally on the same day.

In a related development, Thai army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha on Monday said the Cambodian authorities have agreed to hold talks with their Thai counterparts regarding Cambodian troops' carved stone in the disputed area near the ancient Preah Vihear temple, bearing a Cambodian message accusing Thai soldiers of invading the neighbour's land.

Gen Prayuth expressed hope that good news is expected within two days, adding that Cambodia has acknowledged Thailand's stance and is considering the kingdom’s request to remove the controversial signboard.

The Thai army chief also said he believes the situation will not escalate into an armed clash. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-01-24

PAD's southern faction will not join Tuesday rally

The southern faction of the People's Alliance for Democracy will not join the mass rally of the PAD in Bangkok on Tuesday, its leader said Monday.

Sunthorn Rakrong, the coordinator of the southern PAD, said his group has decided to support the causes of the Thai Patriots Network so it would not join the PAD mass demonstration at the Makkhawan Bridge.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-24

Here we Go yet again.

Sometimes dictators/strongmen are what weak democracies need. How does all the manpower lost demonstrating help the majority of these protesters?

And their leaders who I know are well educated, expect anything positive to come off all the conflicts being created and nurtured?

People's Alliance Pledges Marathon Rally against Govt

The People's Alliance for Democracy pledges to hold a marathon rally until the government revokes the 2000 memorandum of understanding with Cambodia and minutes of meetings of the Thai-Cambodian Joint Border Committee.

Coordinator of the People's Alliance for Democracy, or PAD, Parnthep Puapongpan, said Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva intentionally misrepresented information about the spot where Cambodian troops arrested seven Thais last month.

Parnthep said Abhisit has avoided talking about the now-defunct Nong Jan Cambodian refugee camp and the pond built by the United Nations on the Thai territory during the Cambodian civil war.

Parnthep said the seven Thais had not reached the pond yet, so they were still on the Thai soil while they were arrested, but the government has never used this to argue Cambodia's arrests.

Parnthep also wondered why the government has had no response to the Cambodian trial against the arrested Thais despite Abhisit saying he had reached an agreement with Cambodia that they must not be subjected to legal proceedings.

The PAD coordinator went on to say although the premier reiterated he had never said those seven Thais had already encroached on the Cambodian soil, his ministers and officials of the Defense and Foreign ministries publicly suggested they had done so, thus allowing Cambodia to falsely claim its right over the Thai territory.

He also said the government could not claim that the Cambodian court's verdict on five of the seven arrested Thais has no bearing on the Thai-Cambodian border demarcation since they were found guilty of intruding on Cambodia's territory.

Parnthep stated the ruling shows the country has already lost its sovereignty over the area along the Thai-Cambodian border from marker number 46 to number 48.

Historian Thepmontree Limpapayom said the Suranaree Task Force has solid evidence over the Cambodian troops' removal of border marker number 48 while the area behind the barbed-wire fence on a map displayed during last night's televised address by the premier is not proof that the area does not belong to Thailand.

He said the fence was set up to prevent the encroachment by Cambodian refugees on the Thai soil and he questioned why the premier has ordered the withdrawal of Thai troops from the disputed border area while the demarcation process is still going on.

Tainae Mungmajon, one of the five Thais sentenced by the Cambodian court to a suspended prison term for territory intrusion and later released, insisted he and his companions were arrested on the Thai soil, but were then taken by Cambodian troops to the area the premier said is Cambodian territory and then videoed as evidence for use during the trial.

PAD core leader Major General Chamlong Srimuang said the group will begin its mass protest tomorrow at 2 P.M. at the Makkawan Bridge and stay there until the government meets its demand to nullify the 2000 memorandum of understanding and minutes of meetings by the Thai-Cambodian Joint Border Committee.

He affirmed the group has no intention to seize Government House.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-01-24

footer_n.gif

Why don't we declare a national holiday for protests? Then they can all swap abuse at each other - the police can protect the public and let these fools go at it - then the army can come in - clean up the lefts behinds and the dead and injured and the Govt can declare a state of emergency decree and everything will return to normal - no apologies, no business and no tourism. Seems fairly simple to me!

PM rejects Yellow Shirt demands on border dispute

BANGKOK, Jan 24 - Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Monday rejected the three demands put forward by the yellow-clad People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) regarding the Thai-Cambodian border dispute, saying that Thailand will lose territory to her neighbour if he gives in to the protesters' demands.

The prime minister stood firm on his stance as the PAD leaders threatened to prolong their protest near Government House on Tuesday if their demands are not met.

The nationalist movement leaders sought Thailand's withdrawal from the United Nations Education Scientific and Culture Organization (UNESCO)'s World Heritage Committee (WHC), revocation of the 2000 Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed with Cambodia and pushing Cambodian people out of areas which they claim belong to Thailand back to their homeland.

Mr Abhisit dismissed all the PAD demands as impractical.

"If Thailand withdraws from the WHC, Cambodia would be able to go ahead with its own Preah Vihear management implementation without any objection, the prime minister argued. "If the 2000 MoU is revoked, the contested areas will never be demarcated."

"I reaffirm that I made such a decision for the sake of national interest and sovereignty as well as international relations," Mr Abhisit stated

The premier also noted that Thailand should be more cautious on the matter and he was ready to talk with the PAD to end the disagreement.

Regarding the PAD’s planned protest tomorrow, the prime minister said Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, who oversees national security, has discussed a security plan with national police chief Wichean Potephosree.

Mr Abhisit said he would not allow a repeat of the 2008 PAD seizure of Government House.

"The protesters cannot break into Government House," said the premier. "This is unlawful as the Administrative Court earlier ruled that the exercise of the right of expression must not obstruct the work of officials." (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-01-24

Correct me if i am wrong but the reds are there already(well they were last weekend) so will the yellow now join the reds or would they set up another camp?

Perhaps one day soon enough, they will join together and mix the colors, then we will have one large CLOWN looking mob protesting!:lol:

I mean seriously for the life of me i can not comprehend why would they yellow fraction try to pick a fight with the neighbor?(Cambodia)

Country just started to settle down and here they are again trying to destroy it all, what are they not happy about now? the fact that they do not own half of Cambodia or the fact that Cambodia will not be influenced by a "rich" Thai?

Correct me if i am wrong but the reds are there already(well they were last weekend) so will the yellow now join the reds or would they set up another camp?

Perhaps one day soon enough, they will join together and mix the colors, then we will have one large CLOWN looking mob protesting!:lol:

I mean seriously for the life of me i can not comprehend why would they yellow fraction try to pick a fight with the neighbor?(Cambodia)

Country just started to settle down and here they are again trying to destroy it all, what are they not happy about now? the fact that they do not own half of Cambodia or the fact that Cambodia will not be influenced by a "rich" Thai?

At least the reds are currently in the habit of going home after a few hours of rallying.

In public international law MoU means ...

... In international relations, MoUs fall under the broad category of treaties and should be registered in the United Nations treaty database. In practice and in spite of the United Nations' Legal Section insistence that registration be done to avoid 'secret diplomacy,' MOUs are sometimes kept confidential. As a matter of law, the title of MoU does not necessarily mean the document is binding or not binding under international law. To determine whether or not a particular MoU is meant to be a legally binding document (i.e. a treaty), one needs to examine the intent of the parties as well as the position of the signatories (e.g. Minister of Foreign Affairs vs Minister of Environment). A careful analysis of the wording will also clarify the exact nature of the document. The International Court of Justice has provided some insight into the determination of the legal status of a document in the landmark case of Qatar v. Bahrain, 1 July 1994.

Advantages

One advantage of MoUs over more formal instruments is that, because obligations under international law may be avoided, they can be put into effect in most countries without requiring parliamentary approval. Hence, MoUs are often used to modify and adapt existing treaties, in which case these MoUs have factual treaty status. The decision concerning ratification, however, is determined by the parties' internal law and depends to a large degree on the subject agreed upon. MOUs that are kept confidential (i.e. not registered with the United Nations) cannot be enforced before any UN organ, and it may be concluded that no obligations under international law have been created. As was obvious in the Qatar v. Bahrain case, disputes may arise concerning the status of the document once one of the parties seeks to enforce its provisions.

Although MOUs in the multilateral field are seldom seen, the transnational aviation agreements are actually MoUs.

How can that be revoked when it is supposedly registered with the UN? Only with another agreement (MoU) signed by both sides.

I think it is a double/tripple strategy PAD is following and has not much to do with Cambodia.

Hence the hystery about the fire-trucks which they used as one of their main arguement before and which evaporated since then.

Also, since the law is closing in on formner issues they may try to create a pre-text for another coup to buy time and avoid persecution for the airport takeovers and other criminal activities.

They also use the war mongering strategy to reach their goal. This is a very serious issue and a threat for internal security.

I hope only that the govt and executives are smart enough to stop them.

This could even end up in a worse situation than the South and even turn additionally into a full blown civil war.

It's not only interior Thai politic, the Yellow indeed are racist people and hate Khmer. For them, Battambang, Siem Reap are Thai. For them a Khmer man has less value than a Thai person.

They told already, it's not libel, that they want a war against Cambodia.

They represent only 1% of the Thai population (in any country there is 1% of racist people and no one care) but here, for the reason that all of us know, this 1% has a lot of influence.

Once Thaksin was removed there was this large group with nothing to do.

The easiest way to keep them together in case of Thaksin's return was to group them around uber-nationalism, and a border dispute is perfect for that... What parts of PAD that once had general backing of dissolved, departed, or been ejected. So the remnant 'fringe elements', are ranting and raving and hardly understanding the real issues. Are they really going to disrupt much? Not really, but avoid one or two places.

Edited by animatic

It's not only interior Thai politic, the Yellow indeed are racist people and hate Khmer. For them, Battambang, Siem Reap are Thai. For them a Khmer man has less value than a Thai person.

They told already, it's not libel, that they want a war against Cambodia.

They represent only 1% of the Thai population (in any country there is 1% of racist people and no one care) but here, for the reason that all of us know, this 1% has a lot of influence.

I am with you. Its amazing though that Thailand does not want or allow foreign influence or ownership, yet at the same time, those(the yellows) have no problem trying to "invade" other countries such as Cambodia(less developed)

I would of thought what's good for the goose is good ........... but then i would be wrong.B)

Perhaps, the following attachment would help many of us who are still unfamiliar with what is going on between and among Thailand, Cambodia and other intervening interested countries....

The Cambodian Constitution declares that any agreement et al which is not in agreement with the Cambodian reference map 1:100,000, is null and void from the onset....

The MOU43 and subsequent meeting and documentation used by HuSan all referred to the 1:200,000 scaled map....

Therefore, by the virtue of Husan's own Cambodian constitution.... any agreement signed, including MOU43 signed between HuSan and Thailand, using map 1:200,000 scaling which is not using map 1:100,000; is null....

Thus, HuSan nullifies his own signed and sealed MOU43.... by default....  

It is still a bewilderment to many, as to why Apisit and his govt decide not to evoke Cambodian's own constitution to answer HuSan et al...

post-110865-0-06123600-1295901192_thumb.

Edited by mkawish

election coming is why. Thatcher/Falklands,, Bushes/Iraq,,Hitler-brown shirts,,, < to name a few past examples of how to win elections with moronic populaces

hint The 'Patriots' 55555 destroy the country to get into the offices of Bribery and Corruption

The really really really big &lt;deleted&gt; is coming, really coming on now.

election coming is why. Thatcher/Falklands,, Bushes/Iraq,,Hitler-brown shirts,,, < to name a few past examples of how to win elections with moronic populaces

hint The 'Patriots' 55555 destroy the country to get into the offices of Bribery and Corruption

So you think the TPN is pushing their agenda in order for the New Politics Party to win the upcoming election?

:rolleyes:

PAD's southern faction will not join Tuesday rally

The southern faction of the People's Alliance for Democracy will not join the mass rally of the PAD in Bangkok on Tuesday, its leader said Monday.

Sunthorn Rakrong, the coordinator of the southern PAD, said his group has decided to support the causes of the Thai Patriots Network so it would not join the PAD mass demonstration at the Makkhawan Bridge.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-24

< If this little wrinkle doesn't convince 1 or 3 yellows that they are just as idiotic as the reds, nothing will. oh ya nothing will.

Are the anti BKK PAds, the South PADs, the pro brown robes, divided on the status of Abhisit?

or is just all red and yellows anti-Abhisit?

A creative writing class could not have dreamt up such a black humour comedy.

So you think the TPN is pushing their agenda in order for the New Politics Party to win the upcoming election?

win? 555 me not theenk so senor,,, grab a few tasty seats, only mebbe,, they are not led by bright lites like those I exampled.

Will they create more bleeding and wounds for Thailand? a LOT They are even stabbing each other, see above, S PAD will not support BKK PAD,

for Vishnu's sake!!!

edit,, and isn't TPN gonna have to create a new Party as they are split from pADS?

Edited by yellow1red1

win? 555 me not theenk so senor,,, grab a few tasty seats, only mebbe,, they are not led by bright lites like those I exampled.

Will they create more bleeding and wounds for Thailand? a LOT They are even stabbing each other, see above, S PAD will not support BKK PAD,

for Vishnu's sake!!!

oh ok, thanks for clarifying that it's a no, because in the samples you provided, it was nationalism that was focused on in order to secure an election win in those situations.

But if the Democrat Party is opposing these strident nationalists and it's not seeking to exploit nationalism in order to win the next election, then just what is your point then?

Who is exploiting nationalism in order to secure an election win?

I have just woken to read the related story of bombs found, this story stinks to high high heaven cant wait to see what TV posters think.

Apparently those arrested said they were paid to stir up trouble at the PAD protest but looking at what they were caught with the potential for serious loss of life was there. Are there still some out there who want civil war or at the very least another coup?

I have just woken to read the related story of bombs found, this story stinks to high high heaven cant wait to see what TV posters think.

Apparently those arrested said they were paid to stir up trouble at the PAD protest but looking at what they were caught with the potential for serious loss of life was there. Are there still some out there who want civil war or at the very least another coup?

It's on it's own thread now:

Edited by Buchholz

for Vishnu's sake!!!

oh ok, thanks for clarifying that it's a no, because in the samples you provided, it was nationalism that was focused on in order to secure an election win in those situations.

But if the Democrat Party is opposing these strident nationalists and it's not seeking to exploit nationalism in order to win the next election, then just what is your point then?

Who is exploiting nationalism in order to secure an election win?

the DP??? what have they got to do with.. you comment as if I mentioned them, which I did NOT... you really are a full timer FVS

next elections,,, aren't they gonna just be someting to write home about!

in your thousands ofm posts , i would bet you've changed the minds of at least 3 maybe 5 people

but it's ez money aight?

^ So just to clarify your assertion; the Democrat Party, which is doing it's utmost to cool down the PAD's rhetoric and provocations of exploitative nationalism and has gone to great lengths to try and heal relations with Cambodia is actually the one responsible for exploiting nationalism in order to secure an election win.

uhmmm...ok... thanks for your invaluable input.

^ So just to clarify your assertion; the Democrat Party, which is doing it's utmost to cool down the PAD's rhetoric and provocations of exploitative nationalism and has gone to great lengths to try and heal relations with Cambodia is actually the one responsible for exploiting nationalism in order to secure an election win.

no PAD, no Democrat government.

no PAD, no Democrat government.

How does that relate to their current relationship (the thread title provides a clue) and the upcoming election later this year?

yellow1red1 is asserting that the Democrat Party is using exploitative nationalism to secure a win in the upcoming election in order to remain the government.

*edited: but perhaps he's not as a reread of his encryption-laden posts indicates that maybe he's not... but then if he's not, it goes back to wondering just who he is talking about here locally when he speaks of past foreign governments using nationalism to get election wins.

Maybe it's best to give up trying to sort out what on Earth his posts are trying to convey.

Edited by Buchholz