Multiple Isps

jmdf103

As mentioned, separate cables/modems etc. needed.

And indeed, some extra hardware is needed if you want to use them simultaniously.

Of the shelf, look at 4000 Baht upwards to use 2 connections simultaniously, more if more connections are used.

Cheaper for the dedicated enthousiast using an old pc, but certainly not easy.

Biggest advantage would be having a connection with very high uptime for a lot less monthly outlay compared to a dedicated busiiness connection...

Doubt it would be worth the hassle for individuals, except maybe for stock traders etc...

google a Linksys/Cisco RC042 for a 2 port asdl version - works very well and cheap and can be brought at most computers centers across Thailand. Dlink also have versions but found then unreliable after a month, so ditched them for the RV042 which we have been running for years now.

You can load balance as many connections as you want, given the right equipment, and all of those connections can be used simultaneously given the right conditions.

Each ISP will supply you with a modem/router, so you could also buy a load balancing router without ADSL support. I'm using a Draytek 2920n which load balances 3 WANs, and the latest Peplink load balancers also support 3 WANs. Both are sold in Thailand, but you'll save yourself a bundle if someone can buy for you in EU or US and carry in. Draytek also have a nice 2830 router that support IPv6, so you could save yourself the equipment upgrade (if Thai ISPs ever move to IPv6 that is...). Expect to pay from ~$150 for Drayteks and ~$250 for Peplink.

google a Linksys/Cisco RC042 for a 2 port asdl version - works very well and cheap and can be brought at most computers centers across Thailand. Dlink also have versions but found then unreliable after a month, so ditched them for the RV042 which we have been running for years now.

bought one. 6,000 Baht (Wattana, Pattaya). never got it running :bah:

Keep it mind that even if you do this the different ISPs might be using the same physical infrastructure which will make the exercise pointless. Especially companies like 3B and Maxnet don't own their own infrastructure; they rent the capacity from True and ToT, mark it up, then sell it to you.

If you want very fast Internet you'll just have to buy one of the faster, more expensive packages from True or consider a "leased line" which can be used for 100% of it's bandwidth all the time but is usually cost prohibitive.

Good luck.

Not true about needing special hardware for multiplexing multiple connections. Currently I have my home server hooked up to my own connection with a LAN cable and it's also connected to the neighbours' wifi connection. With just a simple confuguration Windows 7 uses both connection to the fullest bandwidth available. Which at the moment is 1.6 MB/s in utorrent.

Note: I have the neighbours' full permission to use their connection, since the a lot of the things that I download finds their way over there as well ;)

does anyone have any experience with wi fi ariels/ antenna ie yagi

I have adsl (TOT) in condo and also have wi fi (TRUE) for roaming

I want to hang the antenna off the balcony to get a better TRUE signal

Just about to upgrade router

question

1. what antenna - cable

2. what router wifi modem

in Pattaya area

thanks

/

does anyone have any experience with wi fi ariels/ antenna ie yagi

I have adsl (TOT) in condo and also have wi fi (TRUE) for roaming

I want to hang the antenna off the balcony to get a better TRUE signal

Just about to upgrade router

question

1. what antenna - cable

2. what router wifi modem

in Pattaya area

thanks

/

upgraded but still looking at the yagi antenna

bought one. 6,000 Baht (Wattana, Pattaya). never got it running :bah:

Bought the RV042 at Panthip last week for 4450 Baht, (Pattaya prices are often higher than BKK)

Got it running on a TOT 12 Mb and a 3B 7 Mb ADSL connection.

But I'm still tweaking to optimize the performance and would like to be able to test the total speed at at speedtest.net only 1 of 2 lines is tested.