Marriage Visa

I'll be getting hitched next month then returning to the Middle East (where I work). My contract will be completed in April and I'm thinking of returning to the States for a few weeks (3 or 4) then moving to Thailand for 3 or 4 months before returning to the Middle East to do some more contract work.

My question is what type of visa should I get while I'm there? Should I go about getting a marriage visa given I'll only be in town up to 4 months? Just seems like the easy way to go, and since I'll eventually retire in Thailand, I figure why not just go ahead and get a marriage visa now?

However, with a marriage visa I know the person must report every 90 days. So, let's say I get the visa, report after 90 days, stay another 30 days, then depart and begin working again. Is immigration going to wonder where the hell I am once the second 90 days rolls around and it's time for me to report in? Will they give me any hassle for leaving the country? Just FYI, I'll be returning to Thailand every few months on vacation after this little 3 to 4 month break...don't know if that matters at all.

As far as I know, if I fly into Thailand I'll only get a 30 day tourist visa and will then have to do a border run (would be a PITA having to do that every 30 days).

Advice? Suggestions? Thanks!

A visa you apply for while abroad at a Thai consulate.

You only make a 90 day report when you stay in Thailand for 90 days. If you leave within 90 days there is no need to report. The 90 days start from day 1 once you return to Thailand.

If you only stay in Thailand up to 90 days a multiple non-O is the easiest, if you stay longer than 90 days in a row an extension of stay based on marriage might be better. But you must be in Thailand when you do your extension and be back in Thailand 30 days after you apply for the extension each year. (An extension of stay requires you to come back after 30 days, while they check if the marriage is real and get permission for an extension from a committee in Bangkok)

1. There is no marriage visa. You would qualify for non immigrant O visa.

2. A multi entry non immigrant O visa would seem to be the best for you if you can obtain. That allows stays of up to 90 days for a period of one year - any entry gets a new 90 day stay.

3. For extension of stay you must have a non immigrant visa entry into Thailand and apply during the last 30 days of the 90 day stay and be here another 30 days, or more, to get the approval. Not good for those with employment outside Thailand.

4. Entry without visa is visa exempt (not a tourist visa) and most airlines would require onward ticket within 30 days.

A number of options are available to you - which one you choose will essentially come down to how much hassle you want up front versus how much you want later:

1. Get married and then apply in Thailand for an Extension of Stay based on marriage to a Thai national. You will need to show that you have 400,000 baht in a savings account in Thailand, income in Thailand of 40,000 baht per month or some combination of the two that adds up to 400,000 baht per annum. If you're working in the MIddle East, I guess you would have to go the savings account route. The balance of the savings account must be 400,000 baht or more for the two months immediately preceding your application for extension of stay. You will also need original and copy of your Thai marriage certificate, original and copy of your spouse's Thai ID card and a letter from your bank certifying the balance of your account and dated on the same day as the application. Some offices also insist on seeing photographs of your residence and you and your spouse in the residence, along with a map showing where your home is located. Best to call the immigration office that covers the area in which you will reside and ask them what they will want to see. Even so, count on at least two visits before your application is accepted - it hardly ever gets done on the first visit.

The Extension of Stay costs 1,900 baht and permits you to remain in Thailand for a further 12 months - no need for border runs. If you want to leave and return during that 12 month period, you will need to get a Re-Entry Permit to keep your Extension of Stay valid: that costs 1,000 baht for a single re-entry and 3,800 baht for unlimited re-entries up to the end of your granted Extension of Stay.

Any foreign national (except those with permanent residence) must report their address to Immigration once they have been in Thailand continuously for 90 days and every 90 days thereafter. If you leave Thailand, the clock restarts from zero when you return and you have to report again 90 days later. The Immigration Office will not "wonder where the H*ll you are" if you don't report at any particular due date, as you are certainly permitted to leave the country. However, if you report at Immigration and your passport shows that you have been in Thailand for more than 90 days, you will face a fine for not reporting (2,000 baht, I believe). You can be caught when departing Thailand as well if they notice you have been in country more than 90 days and your reporting slip isn't current.

2. It sounds as though you will be splitting your time between Thailand and the Middle East. If you think that you won't be staying in Thailand more than 90 days at a time, a less expensive option would be to get a 12 month, multiple-entry Non-Immigrant "O" visa based on marriage to a Thai national at an Embassy outside of Thailand. Requirements vary by Embassy, but some will issue one with as little as a signed copy of your spouse's ID card and your marriage certificate. Some want evidence of sufficient funds. This visa will allow you to enter Thailand as many times as you like before the "Enter Before" date, but you will be limited to 90 days on each visit. If you arrive the day before the "Enter Before" date, you will still be granted a 90 day period of stay, essentially giving you 15 months for the price of 12.

3. As you're only going to stay in Thailand for four months, you could get a double-entry tourist visa before arriving in Thailand. These are currently free of charge at most embassies but some reports of particular embassies charging various admin fees to issue. Each tourist visa entry is valid for 60 days and each can be extended by a further 30 days at any Immigration Office, giving a total of 90 days (cost of extension is 1,900 baht). After the first 90 days, you would have to leave Thailand and return, using the second entry and getting another 60 + 30 days. Be careful to note the "Use Before" or "Enter Before" date on the visa itself: this is normally 90 days from the date of issue and if you don't use the second entry before that date, it is no longer valid. Of course, after your tourist visa has expired, you will have to get another one or revert to option #1 or #2.

#1 is the "money and hassle now instead of later" option. #2 is cheaper and less hassle but only allows you 90 days per entry. #3 is the cheapest initially and a lot less paperwork but once you've thrown in the cost of your visa run, probably about the same as #1 cost-wise. IMHO, better to go through the hassle of a marriage extension and give yourself 12 months of relatively painless entry and exit at your leisure. Just remember to report if you stay in Thailand for 90 days.

1. There is no marriage visa. You would qualify for non immigrant O visa.

2. A multi entry non immigrant O visa would seem to be the best for you if you can obtain. That allows stays of up to 90 days for a period of one year - any entry gets a new 90 day stay.

3. For extension of stay you must have a non immigrant visa entry into Thailand and apply during the last 30 days of the 90 day stay and be here another 30 days, or more, to get the approval. Not good for those with employment outside Thailand.

4. Entry without visa is visa exempt (not a tourist visa) and most airlines would require onward ticket within 30 days.

So I can get a non-immigrant O visa and if I stay past 90 days, then I'll just report (or leave the country and come right back if required).

Let's say I get that May 1st (just to make things easier to explain). August 1st I report in (or leave the country and come back...whatever). If October rolls around and I leave Thailand to work for 4 or 5 months, that's not going to be an isssue right? I can return, say, March 1, 2012 and immigration isn't going to flip out and wonder where I've been for the past 5 months, right?

On 90 day visa entry you have to leave at the end of each 90 day stay but can immediately return for a new 90 day stay. There is never an address reporting required and nobody cares where you are. You do not have to leave at exactly 90 days so there should not ever be a problem that way as you can leave after 70 days and return with a new up to 90 day stay.

KamnanT...missed your response before because I guess you were posting the same time I was. Thanks for that very detailed explanation. I will give it some thought and, based on how long I decide to stay when the time comes, will use your post as a guide.

A number of options are available to you - which one you choose will essentially come down to how much hassle you want up front versus how much you want later:

1. Get married and then apply in Thailand for an Extension of Stay based on marriage to a Thai national. You will need to show that you have 400,000 baht in a savings account in Thailand, income in Thailand of 40,000 baht per month or some combination of the two that adds up to 400,000 baht per annum.

For persons applying based on marriage to a Thai wife there is no option for showing a cobination of money in the bank and yearly income.