How To Say 'Each To His Own (Taste)' In Thai?

Trevor25222

สวัสดีครับ

"ตัวใครตัวมัน" most for .. in danger or critical situation.. (everyman on his self)

"ของใครของมัน" more for "things" seperate.. from each. "that`s your this my"

both are not really polite or first choice to express each feeling or situation.. there stil.. more "nice" alternative sentances to choose.

Both sentances have a litile of... "dis-harmony taste".. to the conversation. Sometime, both sentence.. could associated like saying an.. "idium like" too.

greeting

I always use the phrase คนละแบบ. To each his own.

คนละแบบ as I understand it is the same as คนละอย่าง, which doesn't necessarily refer to people--it simply means "a different kind of thing".

For example, "เสื้อสองตัวคนละแบบ" - "Two shirts of different styles".

I would say "คนละรส". "Khon la Rot". Because it is exclusively referencing one's taste buds. But "คนละอย่าง" "khon la yaag" could also be used in the same situation. คนละแบบ ๆ ล ๆ Yes. What ever floats ones boat. :)

Edited by coma

Peppy is right, the meaning of คน in คนละแบบ is not to be taken literally as 'person'. To sum up the thread, I would use แล้วแต่รสนิยมของแต่ละบุคคล for a formal/polite version, and แล้วแต่คนชอบ for less formal settings. Like Murf, the Thais around me also use แล้วแต่คนชอบ.

I would say "คนละรส". "Khon la Rot". Because it is exclusively referencing one's taste buds. But "คนละอย่าง" "khon la yaag" could also be used in the same situation. คนละแบบ ๆ ล ๆ Yes. What ever floats ones boat. :)

What does 'To each his own mean. ? 'What ever floats your boat' 'Whatever turns you on'; I think they all need to be put into meaningful English then translated.

คนละอย่าง says 'Each person(s) sort/ means/ type/ which may carry a lot of meaning, I don't know.

What does 'To each his own mean. ? 'What ever floats your boat' 'Whatever turns you on'; I think they all need to be put into meaningful English then translated.

คนละอย่าง says 'Each person(s) sort/ means/ type/ which may carry a lot of meaning, I don't know.

Tried to edit when I saw that Meadish had done what I wanted. Not qualified to edit my own post!

Following the taste of the individual.

Is taste understood in the same way as English? I wondered if ความนิยม didn't mean taste in that sense. However having got it how would you use it? I assume all English speaking Thais would understand it.

Tried to edit when I saw that Meadish had done what I wanted. Not qualified to edit my own post!

Following the taste of the individual.

Is taste understood in the same way as English? I wondered if ความนิยม didn't mean taste in that sense. However having got it how would you use it? I assume all English speaking Thais would understand it.

I may have read the original post wrong. I thought he was asking about taste [ food only] If so then solly ครับ

I understand ความนิยม to mean; favorate, popular. To try to answer your question without going in to deep is that I use คนละรส when talking about food and drinks only. And my Thai friends never pull me up for it nor do they look at me with a bewildered face as they do when I try to use other phrases. LOL

When I started to learn Thai i was always told from the start. DO Not go attempting to translate Thai directly into English as it will bring me unstuck. So I don't do it. :unsure: More input anybody? :jap:

Edited by coma

I may have read the original post wrong. I thought he was asking about taste [ food only] If so then solly ครับ

I understand ความนิยม to mean; favorate, popular. To try to answer your question without going in to deep is that I use คนละรส when talking about food and drinks only. And my Thai friends never pull me up for it nor do they look at me with a bewildered face as they do when I try to use other phrases. LOL

When I started to learn Thai i was always told from the start. DO Not go attempting to translate Thai directly into English as it will bring me unstuck. So I don't do it. :unsure: More input anybody? :jap:

I took it to be an idiom, I have heard it all my life, it covers everything which distinguishes one person from another. I don't like the way he treats his children but 'each to his own' .

Is that what your Thai friends hear? I never would bother to try to traslate English into Thai, if I don't know it I can't say it and I don't try. At least that is what I hope to do. But most people want to, this is an example of that.

The expression คนละไม้คนละมือ is Thai 'all hands to the pump' so when you say คนละ ??? they may think you mean sharing in some way. คนละ does mean one person of a group, just as 'each' does.

I think it is interesting that we can never be sure what Thai people hear.

Edited by tgeezer

I took it to be an idiom, I have heard it all my life, it covers everything which distinguishes one person from another. I don't like the way he treats his children but 'each to his own' .

Is that what your Thai friends hear? I never would bother to try to traslate English into Thai, if I don't know it I can't say it and I don't try. At least that is what I hope to do. But most people want to, this is an example of that.

The expression คนละไม้คนละมือ is Thai 'all hands to the pump' so when you say คนละ ??? they may think you mean sharing in some way. คนละ does mean one person of a group, just as 'each' does.

I think it is interesting that we can never be sure what Thai people hear.

Wow! You are great on your สุภาษิต และสำนวน 's ;)

Lol. Learning them is great for understand Thai language and Thailand in general alot more. They paint a great picture of the way thai people think and why they are the way they are.

นานาจิตตัง

Everyone to his own taste (Ms. Beckers translation)

literal: All sorts of minds

Source: Speak Like a Thai Vol 3

You have hit the jackpot, this is the actual Thai equivalent I think. ว. ต่างจิตต่างใจ, ต่างคนก็ต่างความคิดเช่นคนหนึ่งถูกกับอากาศเย็น แต่อีกคนหนึ่งูกกับอากาษร้อน

definition from the RID I was told in conversation that จิตตัง is the Pali word for จิต