Bringing In A Pet Dog.

Lickey

My good candian friend is coming here to Thai to live, and he is importing his dog, so when he gets of the plane, whats the next step to find his dog, is there Import section, is it posted on the signs ect?

Thanks for any help,

Lickey..

Depends if he is using an agent. If he is, they will probably meet him some where near the airport to deliver (this happened with my dog - met at the petrol station near the airport). Otherwise, and assuming it was shipped cargo (and no carried/in the hold as extra baggage) then it will be at cargo - yes there are signs. Agent is best as they will arrange the best rip off erm I mean charges with customs - and then add their fee - usually works out better and savesa day ahnging aroubnd customs.

He may find it quite costly when he gets to custom,s and they want import tax based on the size of the container (not the dog!) and its weight (loaded) - and if he doesn't want to sit about for hours (maybe even wait until the following day!) then a "small" fee for an expedited service (nudge nudge wink wink). Agents know the customs guys, as regulars they have a set charge and a top up fee for them selves, that means you know what you will have to pay up front - they do the queuing (not much as I said, they know the customs guys) and they deliver locally to the airport, so no parking fees nad no hassles finding the cargo place or messing about with forms etc.

I think it works out 6 of one anf half dozen of the other as far as price goes - sometimes you might be lucky and get a "nice" customs guy, sometimes they will calculate that you love the dog and do not want it to sit in a crate over night etc and thus are easy pickings. The customs guys are the wealthiest civil servants in this country (excluding politicians of course) and has the second longest job application waiting list (second only to the cops!).

It may be something he wants to look in to. As far as I was concerned it cost far more in shipping and agents Europe end than the Thai agent cost (total bill for me 65kg dog plus 6Kg cat from UK including all taxers/tickets/vet check/rabbies shot/agents both ends/paperwork/import tax/VAT was arounf 4000 pounds sterling - total agency fees were about three hundred including the import duties and delivery (local).

• 3 weeks later...

Back in November, we brought two cats from indonesia. It was a breeze. At teh far rigth end side after immigration, there is a small office that will process your dog. You will get the dog from the oversize lugagge. It cost us somthing ridiculous like 200 baht total. For a change, Thailand make it fairly easy to do. Just be extra careful you have all the proper document. And, you will need a fixed address, they almost did not let me go as i did not have the address of where i was going (just knew the street name)

Good luck and don't stress too much