Versys Side Panniers

MRToMRT

Has anyone found any solutions for fitting panniers (soft or hard) to the Versys other than Givi or Trax?

I like the Givi's but they are too wide as a lot of my riding is around Bangkok and they will reduce my options riding in traffic

I don't really like the look of the Trax, plus they are expensive

Anyone figured out a nice local soft option that is secure?

Panda Rider sells SW Motech panniers for the Versys. They're expensive and appear to be just as wide as the Givi Panniers...

Any decent soft panniers should fit on the Versys fine.

I get by with a tank bag and pillion bag:

120910TakFaVersysSm.jpg

That was more than enough room for a week long tour of Laos and I carried a small laptop too.

Ride On!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

I had a rack locally made to BHT 2,500 and put some Ortlieb Bags on it, bought here:

http://www.k-trade-international.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=69_28&products_id=902&osCsid=3d8b882b51b20d9f06d91b20dd572819

(whoa they just went up in price, I got them for 4,500 a piece plus a discount..

They're not cheap but it's Ortlieb so I expect them to last about 20 years. Or more. I've actually had my Pac-Man backpack for nearly 20 years now, works just as well as the day I got it. I am in awe of that.

Pros:

- Quick lock works as advertised, they come off in less than 1 second. Lift the handle and they come off. At the same time the mechanism feels very solid. They also sell a locking mechanism for these bags in case you want to leave them on. I can put them back on with one hand.

- Roomy when touring

- Compression straps make them very slim when riding in the city

- I can ride with only 1 in the city; so day to day I only have one on with the laptop and various electronics. Going on a tour, I put the other one on as well.

- Reasonably comfortable to carry around

- Bullet proof - these are even tougher than the normal already-tough Ortlieb waterproof material. 100% water proof too of course. Tested in the December rains recently ;)

Cons:

- Soft bags get a bit messy with my monster 17" laptop inside - then again, at least they can fit a 17" with no problems.

- Shoulder strap cannot be left on the bag when riding as it will dangle around dangerously. It clips off and on but it's yet one more thing to do...

- No interior to speak of - no bags, pockets, etc, so can't be a standalone laptop bag. I have a very thin / small laptop bag I put inside the pannier.

Edited by nikster

I am not a fan of tank bags.. Been using the el cheapo saddle and tail packs from mocyc store for a couple of years now.. And on all the bikes I have thrown them over, they have worked well for me.. They adjust ok to fit different bikes.. They also travel well (if doing a fly / rent ride) as luggage and all round pretty happy. The one thing they dont do well is the waterproofing, they have outer rain protection but it needs to be secured better with bungees and I generally add an internal garbage bag skin to doubly protect clothing if expecting a damp ride. Bit overkill for a weekend ride but good for week or two away.

I keep toying with the idea of hard luggage, but the cheap solution really does what I need.