New Monitor For Pc

Davey

I've just got a new monitor for my computer and whenever I boot the computer up the screen starts to turn itself on and off automatically and relatively quickly too. It starts doing this about half way through boot up, when I'm log on to my account. I just click blindlessly until I can eventually load my account to my desktop. This can continue anywhere up to like 20 minutes, where I'm just clicking aimlessly hoping it will sort itself out.

I've tried hooking the monitor to the tower again, no difference. I've tried simply restarting the computer when this happens ...giving it a good ole' shake doesn't have any effect either.

The way I sort it out is by switching the screen off completely, clicking randomly on a blind screen and eventually turn it back on, sometimes it's back to normal and sometimes it repeats to turn itself off and on again, sort of like a sequetial power cut every second that some how only affects the screen.

Anyone had this problem before or know how to overcome it? any suggestions would be welcome as I'm useless with this type of thing. Could this possibly be a virus? although I've recently just reformatted my computer, just before I got the new screen, about a month ago

Thanks for any advice

don't discount your power supply if the monitor gets its power from the back of the computer. Could be as the com starts up it sucks too much juice from the monitor.

Try the monitor on other computers, and try the computer with other monitors so you know which is faulty.

Thanks for the advice...

Brit, it is an LCD monitor. I don't think it has anything to do with the graphics card...

The problem still persists although now I can manage to turn the computer off and restart it and sometimes (not all the time, but most) it reboots normally.

When I shut down the computer I leave the screen on, although unplug the whole machine from the wall, do you think this may be the problem? I haven't as yet tried this incase it does not work and I have to faff on with trying to sort it out again.

Again thanks for your time