Chiang Mai / Thailand Alone

CerIs

Ok so I feel you guys are really the only people qualified to answer this question. I’ve been to Thailand twice now and even before I went the first time I was thinking about an extended trip i.e. living there for a while. The last two trips were great, felt like an amazing culture and a lot of fun, but I don’t need to tell you guys this.

The thing is finding a friend to go on a 2 week holiday as before is no problem but taking off to a foreign country for a few months is a different option, there are not many people where I’m from doing that. So the loose plan is to take off to Chiang Mai for 2-3 months and live there and as you can guess the idea of travelling 6000 miles to the other side of the world to a strange city on my own is a bit terrifying!

The thing is last time I was in LOS I did actually have a few nights out on my own just through being separated from friends etc (they got distracted lol) and I did meet a lot of people both Thai and Ferrang, maybe its the atmosphere given most people have made a big effort to get there and everyone seems to be there for good time.

I suppose it’s because when I’ve mentioned to friends/family that I’m thinking of doing this on my own they are a bit shocked. However my feeling is that quite a few of the long term residents on this forum made the trip on their own. Maybe I’m not sure what my question is here, am I just looking for permission/reassurance to make possibly the biggest change of my life?

Thanks C

I came to Thailand by myself in 2001. I think the experiences I had were much better than if I had come with a friend. While it's fun to have a companion, you have to keep checking with them, what they want to do, reach a consensus, and it's limiting. I think most of the people on this forum have long been marching to their own drummer. Sure, there are millions of people who are scared to travel alone, but there is little to be afraid of in Chiang Mai. I mean you been here twice already, let's face it. IMHO.

The best travelling I've done is when on my tod, and CM is hardly an unruly backwater and probably the easiest place in Thailand (or anywhere for that matter) to settle into. Everything is here to live easy and if the :hit-the-fan: you're only a couple of flights from mum & dad.

i find heading off to a destination alone to be exhilarating. Also, because the only person you need to worry about is yourself. No clashes. Your own agenda. Of course its nice when you have a companion thats in sync with you, for certain experiences, but traveling solo allows you (imo) really digest everything about your journey. A true personal trip/experience.

Ive moved to different countries/traveled alone before, so wasnt a shock to come to Thailand. But I had never been to Asia/Thailand though, so there was a feeling of mixed excitement and apprehension. I packed one suitcase, with the intention of just seeing how it all goes, arrived, and for over 4 years havent left since (except for a few short trips around neighbouring countries). I love Chiang Mai. I havent been able to stay in a place without itchy feet for so long, yet, im still not bored here.

So long as you have a backup plan, (and best if you have a money cushion/savings), then i say take the leap. You can always leave. If you dont try it, you may always regret it.

I came to stay in Chiang mai after three visits to Thailand each progressively longer, 2 weeks, 4 weeks and 8 weeks, respectively. I knew two people from my 8 week stay, I arrived here with two suitcases and a non imm O visa and booked into a guest house. Three and a half years later I have a lovely girlfriend, have increased my friends, have a car, motorbike and a nice condo with a river view. I too was bricking it, but I just kept on believing it was the right thing for me and I have no regrets.

If you have some income, have a go back 'home' option if you need it and reasons life where you are has lost its allure then do it. You can PM for further reassurance!

I don't know about fish gods (carpe diem?), but having plan B is a terrific idea, reserves and possibilities.

Issue raises a question about independence - or perhaps being a "loner" to some degree.

I once had to move a very long way for a job. I learned then to be aggressive about meeting people where I have gone to new places. Here in CM, where we have a pretty large ex-pat community, we represent a varied bunch. That is, there are "voluntary groups" for quite a few interests, and in that sense, it is easier to get started here. It is not very far to get anywhere around town, either.

Don't have to mention that family and friend connections can be kept with modern devices such as Skype, very reasonably. I talk to an old aunt just because she enjoys it; well so do I, as she was for years a keen traveler. Some of us are nourished by connections such as facetwit. There's e-mail.

Or as kids say, "Gopher it."

Edited by CMX

I don't know about fish gods (carpe diem?), but having plan B is a terrific idea, reserves and possibilities.

Issue raises a question about independence - or perhaps being a "loner" to some degree.

I once had to move a very long way for a job. I learned then to be aggressive about meeting people where I have gone to new places. Here in CM, where we have a pretty large ex-pat community, we represent a varied bunch. That is, there are "voluntary groups" for quite a few interests, and in that sense, it is easier to get started here. It is not very far to get anywhere around town, either.

Don't have to mention that family and friend connections can be kept with modern devices such as Skype, very reasonably. I talk to an old aunt just because she enjoys it; well so do I, as she was for years a keen traveler. Some of us are nourished by connections such as facetwit. There's e-mail.

Or as kids say, "Gopher it."

I don't know about fish gods (carpe diem?), rolleyes.gif

it's just the people back home that say "oh your going on your own" i came here in 2004 then went home for a year to work and come back with a plan and have been here ever since.

All my friends said i would be back within 6 months with no money and my girlfriend would of taken it all.

Now i have a family with that same women psst what do they know.

best thing i have ever done with my life and i'm 31 which there doesn't seem to be that many young people that live here.

it's just the people back home that say "oh your going on your own" i came here in 2004 then went home for a year to work and come back with a plan and have been here ever since.

All my friends said i would be back within 6 months with no money and my girlfriend would of taken it all.

Now i have a family with that same women psst what do they know.

best thing i have ever done with my life and i'm 31 which there doesn't seem to be that many young people that live here.

I did exactly the same, and my friends said the same thing also. I came here in 2004 and have never looked back, im a bit older at 36, just wished I would have moved here at 20 instead of 30 years old.

You’re have no problems staying in Thailand for a long period, they let anybody in here, no questions asked.

Chiang Mai is probably one of the safest destinations to stay worldwide.

Your only problem maybe is that they love naive fresh of the boat farangs, so hang on to your money, give it a couple of months before you fall in love and at least another couple of months before you she talks you into supporting her family.

The only things I miss back home are opportunities to enjoy REALLY excellent food, a clean environment, and a great climate (I use to live in a beach community). Otherwise - what I consistently marvel at is the one ingredient that makes Thailand truly great - the Thai people.

Edited by venturalaw

It's so obvious that you'll be OK that it's hard to imagine why you are worried about it.

Ok so I feel you guys are really the only people qualified to answer this question. I've been to Thailand twice now and even before I went the first time I was thinking about an extended trip i.e. living there for a while. The last two trips were great, felt like an amazing culture and a lot of fun, but I don't need to tell you guys this.

The thing is finding a friend to go on a 2 week holiday as before is no problem but taking off to a foreign country for a few months is a different option, there are not many people where I'm from doing that. So the loose plan is to take off to Chiang Mai for 2-3 months and live there and as you can guess the idea of travelling 6000 miles to the other side of the world to a strange city on my own is a bit terrifying!

The thing is last time I was in LOS I did actually have a few nights out on my own just through being separated from friends etc (they got distracted lol) and I did meet a lot of people both Thai and Ferrang, maybe its the atmosphere given most people have made a big effort to get there and everyone seems to be there for good time.

I suppose it's because when I've mentioned to friends/family that I'm thinking of doing this on my own they are a bit shocked. However my feeling is that quite a few of the long term residents on this forum made the trip on their own. Maybe I'm not sure what my question is here, am I just looking for permission/reassurance to make possibly the biggest change of my life?

Thanks C

One of the smartest things Hubby ever did was suggest a one-month vacation in CM in 2006. Oh sure, we'd been here before as tourists for a few days to a week, but he wanted to retire here and I was reluctant. Based on what I'd seen of the resident westerners during my vacation trips, I figured it would just be washed out Vietnam War veterans and their Thai sweethearts. There'd be nothing here for me. (Obviously, we were hanging out in bars during our vacation visits)

Hubby suggested we come here for a month and "pretend" we were retired to see what it was like. We checked into a serviced apartment and starting attending events related to our hobbies and interests. I was amazed to discover how many women came here "by themselves", even buying (or building homes), doing meaningful activities and having an active social life. They led richer lives than most women of a similar age and income level in the U.S. I figured if it was attractive enough for mature women to live here long-term, by themselves, then it would certainly be a good place to retire.

The OP didn't mention age, sex or interests. I doubt s/he's an older women. But, if this place is attractive to older women on their own, then certainly any other westerners can handle living here alone.

One of the smartest things Hubby ever did was suggest a one-month vacation in CM in 2006. Oh sure, we'd been here before as tourists for a few days to a week, but he wanted to retire here and I was reluctant. Based on what I'd seen of the resident westerners during my vacation trips, I figured it would just be washed out Vietnam War veterans and their Thai sweethearts. There'd be nothing here for me. (Obviously, we were hanging out in bars during our vacation visits)

Hubby suggested we come here for a month and "pretend" we were retired to see what it was like. We checked into a serviced apartment and starting attending events related to our hobbies and interests. I was amazed to discover how many women came here "by themselves", even buying (or building homes), doing meaningful activities and having an active social life. They led richer lives than most women of a similar age and income level in the U.S. I figured if it was attractive enough for mature women to live here long-term, by themselves, then it would certainly be a good place to retire.

The OP didn't mention age, sex or interests. I doubt s/he's an older women. But, if this place is attractive to older women on their own, then certainly any other westerners can handle living here alone.

Great post Nancy. I was thinking same thing too about the OP ..there was no mention of what sex they are. Granted there are more male expats in Thailand, so i can see why some would assume the OP is male, but there are a lot of woman that come to live here too.

Just curious, I'm wondering what people without a job are doing in Thailand for 2 or 3 months...

I love Chiang Mai, but I would bored out of my mind without a job.

I imagine that depends on what you do/enjoying doing in your free time. I honestly dont think ive ever been bored in my entire life. In fact, there are just never enough hours in the day!

---

Sorry, dont mean any of that to sound pedantic!

Edited by eek

Thanks for all the positive responses, very cool.

Most have done it on there own,

It's still one of the safest destinations,

Bring half the clothes and twice the common sense and you'll be just fine.

Its not actually safety i was thinking about. I moved to a large western city by myself for a job a number of years ago and it was a pretty lonely experince. There seemed to be a lot of different groups/cliques that i just couldnt break into, im thinking LOS will be very different.

Hopefully i can become one of those people who does thinks instead of just talking about them :)

Thanks C

Hopefully i can become one of those people who does thinks instead of just talking about them :)

Thanks C

Come to CM join up for a Thai language course at the YMCA (2000bht for 6 weeks @ 3 mornings a week)

You will immediately meet 15 other foreigners

Walk into a bar during the day and play pool (I can recommend Happy Bar or Half Moon in Moonmuang Soi 2)

You will meet a hoard of other pool players during the day and make friends after a couple of visits.