Blood, Sweat And Takeaways

matador007

So I was watching the Australia Network yesterday, and caught this show/documentary.

Its basically 6 Brits who try to live on a Thai salary for a week. Lots of episodes for SE Asia, but ones pertinent to Thailand are 'Rice' and 'Chicken'.

Rice is about the fields in Isaan, and chicken about the chicken factory in Bangkok.

(I chose not to embed on purpose)

Thailand - Blood, Sweat and Takeaways - Episode Rice

Rice

HD: Rice HD

Thailand - Blood, Sweat and Takeaways - Episode Chicken

Chicken

HD: Chicken HD

I think we all have an appreciation for the hard working Thai's and sacrafice they do on a daily basis.

This only goes to re-enforce that.

Enjoy.

I think we all have an appreciation for the hard working Thai's and sacrafice they do on a daily basis.

This only goes to re-enforce that.

Are you joking?

I downloaded this series when it first came out and deleted it off my computer faster than if it were a virus.

The kids in this series (apart from the farmer boy from Norfolk) were all spoilt brats who had never done a days work in their lives.

I'm not saying that the tasks that they were set were easy but the majority of people that I know would have done a much better job and finished the tasks without a whinge.

The accommodation that they were told to survive in was grossly overpriced for the region and everyone that they were introduced to had a real sob story.

Not real life but good television for anyone who has never been to Thailand.

For anyone that has been to Thailand it was as nauseating as the spoilt brats that were in the series.

I have to agree that a bigger bunch of workshy tossers would be hard to find. The only guy that had ever done a days graft in his life was the farmer boy. The Thai girl that ripped them off over the shed they lived in whilst in Issan was a classic. Thai's wouldn't be paying that amount of rent per month never mind per night. :D

I also didn't realise that Thailand was one of the biggest exporters of chicken in the world :o

Ok so they got shafted on the rent.

But I think the bigger point is that they suffer in the North/North-East ; and many people don't see their family for long periods of time.

And also, the work is difficult. I wouldn't want to be planting rice at all, let alone in the heat.

Ok so they got shafted on the rent.

But I think the bigger point is that they suffer in the North/North-East ; and many people don't see their family for long periods of time.

And also, the work is difficult. I wouldn't want to be planting rice at all, let alone in the heat.

What?

i do it every year, it`s not difficult just hard graft....i preffer the cutting time....saw the show too when it first came out,,,,not a true reflection by any means of north east life to be honest...ground being turned this week in prep for this years planting...and round it goes

• 4 weeks later...

I thought it was an ok show myself sure they got ripped off (welcome to Thailand) and since visiting Thailand a couple of times I tend to watch anything that's on TV about the country, even a really bad Thai action flick that was on in England a while back, ok so they were useless apart from the farmer guy, but what amazed me was how the female Thai factory worker managed to live on less than 5000 baht a month, If I remember correctly she sent 3000 or 4000 baht home, leaving her with 1000 to 2000 baht a month to live on? Do you think she works in a bar for extra money or is that a dumb question it's not like every Thai female works the bars, I thought she was quite attractive to me any how its shame she has to work in a crap place like that for years and hardly get to see her kid.