Best Android Smartphone In Thailand Now

tominbkk

I have a permanent impression in my screen protector that resulted from some tiny pointed object pressing against it when it was in my bag on the trip back from Thailand. I have no idea what it would have done if it had been directly on the glass.

It would have been fine. Because Glass is harder than steel, whereas the screen protector is just a piece of plastic that scratches easily.

The only reason people buy screen protectors for glass screens is because of a lack of understanding of basic physics. Take a knife to your screen protector - it will cut through like butter. Try hard as you can to scratch your glass mobile phone screen (erm - don't try this on nokias or phones with plastic screens, obviously ;) ) - you won't be able to. Doesn't matter how hard you push - you'll maybe blunt the blade at some point.

The GorillaGlass they use on the iPhone and also high end Samsungs is hardened even more - don't know the details but I am sure a quick Google search would fill you in.

My wife recently came to me "Honey, I scratched my iPhone screen". She was sad. I took a look, took off the screen protector, and handed it back scratch-free.

The only thing you have to be careful about is sand and stones, concrete - that can sometimes scratch a screen, I guess it depends on the exact material in the sand/stone/concrete. In any case, I am not trying it out. Steel is fine though.

If you watched that video I posted, they did scratch the gorilla glass by using a box cutter. Not huge scratches, but they're visible. Also I've seen many people post on forums about their scratched gorilla glass from being in their pocket or other normal situations. No one claims big scratches, but small ones you can see at an angle. Corning itself calls gorilla glass "scratch-resistant" not scratch-proof.

On my screen, it's not just a regular plastic screen protector, it's one of those ones that's the same material used for invisible car paint shields. They do not scratch easily. In fact the way they go bad is the edges start peeling up and dirt gets under and they yellow, not that the material scratches. Invisibleshield is one brand. There are Youtube videos on them. I use Bodyguardz since the material is a little clearer and they give you two full body protectors in a package for the same price. Anyway, also in that Korean video they drop the phone from waist high and it was ok, but then again from head high at which point the screen cracks. My worry was not that my screen would have scratched, but that the point pressure would have cracked the screen. But with the protectors, front and back, there was a little cushioning. They're kinda spongy. If I press a metal pointy object into it, the impression will show, then slowly recover to where you can't see it anymore in about 10 seconds.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Samsung Galaxy Cooper

The Samsung Galaxy Cooper (S5830) hit the local market this weekend; ~ 9,900 baht at Jaymart. Evidently selling quite well. Comes with froyo (Android 2.2). Looks like a great mid-range Android phone.

http://droidreign.com/2011/01/samsung-ace-s5830-specs-and-pictures/

AKA: "Ace"

Edited by lomatopo

If you're shopping for Android you might be best to wait a wee while.

There are a boatload of new models coming in Q1 which will have far better specs, and some forthcoming Android flavours will require additional power to run well.

This may be true for tablets, and Android 3.0 (Honeycomb), but not really relevant to Android phones, the focus of this thread. Android 2.1, 2.2 and even 2.3 are pretty robust and can run on the bulk of the platforms we're discussing here.

Most of the recently announced models, coming up for release in 1H seem to be amping up camera, graphics and video; with bigger screens, and in the U.S., higher bandwidth radios. I'd say now is the best time to buy; great deals on older models, like the Galaxy S and whole new batch of capable mid-range models (10,000 baht). But, I guess waiting is always an option.

The Samsung Galaxy Cooper

The Samsung Galaxy Cooper (S5830) hit the local market this weekend; ~ 9,900 baht at Jaymart. Evidently selling quite well. Comes with froyo (Android 2.2). Looks like a great mid-range Android phone.

http://droidreign.co...s-and-pictures/

AKA: "Ace"

I guess at the expo I got a steal 9100. I thought about getting 2. and they gave away a free gym bag and wep490 bluetooth headset. I have contacted Samsung about the USB drivers for windows and hopefully mac also. You can connect the flash drive part, but not the tethering part due to missing drivers that I need to install manually. Their official website still does not list the model.

If you're shopping for Android you might be best to wait a wee while.

There are a boatload of new models coming in Q1 which will have far better specs, and some forthcoming Android flavours will require additional power to run well.

This may be true for tablets, and Android 3.0 (Honeycomb), but not really relevant to Android phones, the focus of this thread. Android 2.1, 2.2 and even 2.3 are pretty robust and can run on the bulk of the platforms we're discussing here.

Most of the recently announced models, coming up for release in 1H seem to be amping up camera, graphics and video; with bigger screens, and in the U.S., higher bandwidth radios. I'd say now is the best time to buy; great deals on older models, like the Galaxy S and whole new batch of capable mid-range models (10,000 baht). But, I guess waiting is always an option.

+1 . I was playing the waiting game also. But the truth is that I'll never be 100% satisfied with what is out there. Either the price, specs (missing flash, bug with wifi, lack of nearby tech support or software support). So I figured I might as well jump on the opportunity.

I don't agree with that TBH. Android 2.4 is in the works currently, and I think it's very likely some of its features will be hardware dependent, just like today if you buy a low-end Android phone many apps wont work with smaller screen sizes. Things like NFC and video calling are hardware dependent. I think we're at a step iteration with Android, and buying now might have you disappointed in 6 months time. Just my €0.02

I have contacted Samsung about the USB drivers for windows and hopefully mac also. You can connect the flash drive part, but not the tethering part due to missing drivers that I need to install manually. Their official website still does not list the model.

You can check forums like xda and android for leads on the USB drivers. You could try the Galaxy S USB drivers, available for Windows (32 bit and 64 bit) to see if those work. There are no USB drivers available for the Mac. Not sure about rooting this phone either. Maybe have to wait a few months for locals to get up to speed on this new model?

I heard that quite a few people got this phone, Samsung S5830 Cooper/Ace for 8,700 at the the recent Thai Mobile Expo, without any extra goodies.

FWIW, the title of this thread is "Best Android Smartphone in Thailand Now." Talking about Android 2.4, dual-cores, NFC, video-calling (get a front-facing camera) might be better suited for a thread titled "Best Smartphone in Thailand in Six Months"?

Edited by lomatopo

Following up re: PC Connectivity and the Samsung S5830. I spoke with a few people who bought this phone. It came with 2 small CDs, one of which has the Samsung KIES program on it, and this software includes the relevant USB drivers. Evidently it installs fine and works well, although many report issues with KIES and Mini-KIES. You can find this software on the Samsung support site. The USB drivers allow you to connect the phone while KIES is a file-management style front-end.

http://pages.samsung.com/ca/kies/English/

I am getting an HTC Desire HD from abroad, but have seen them in some shops here. Gray imports I think. The Samsung feels plasticy and cheap compared to the aluminum bodied Desire HD. The Motorolas have nice build quality, but can be a pain to root and install custom ROMs - if you are into that.

I am very disappointed with my HTC desire. The ringtone is so weak that most of the time I cant hear it .

True, I had the same problem but narrowed it down to my own ringtones in an MP3 file. The pre-installed ringtones are fine and loud enough.

What I can recommend is to buy a MP3 player (I installed MixZing) with an equalizer and increase the volume of all MP3 files and Voila!

The number of apps available now for Android is amazing. And most are free. BTW, if you have a Thai SIM, you cannot buy apps for Android. So I put in my SIM card from back home in Europe and can buy any application I want. I really don't understand why Android blocks sale of apps here. This is provoking pirates.

The number of apps available now for Android is amazing. And most are free. BTW, if you have a Thai SIM, you cannot buy apps for Android. So I put in my SIM card from back home in Europe and can buy any application I want. I really don't understand why Android blocks sale of apps here. This is provoking pirates.

If you root your device, you can install Market Enabler, and have access to all the paid apps while using a Thai sim.

If you root your device, you can install Market Enabler, and have access to all the paid apps while using a Thai sim.

But how do you pay for the paid apps. My understanding is that all Android Market purchases are processed through Google Checkout and that this is the service that is blocking Thai SIMS/ISPs or Thai credit cards.

Plenty of free apps but sometimes would like to upgrade to remove the ads but can only do this when "back home."

How do i root an android samsung galaxy ace/cooper s5830?

Since this phone is so new it may be better to wait for some locals to figure out things like rooting? You should proceed cautiously. You can look at droidsans dot com for local info.

The closest thread I could find is --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=872488

FWIW I plugged a Samsung S5830 (Cooper) into my Win7 PC and it started loading drivers, not sure from where, and then when I mounted the phone it showed up as an external device in file manager. I do have the Win7/64 Samsung USB drivers installed on this machine. This new Samsung model is quite nice, local models are running 2.2.1 and are of course already unlocked. I like the size and feel of the phone. The carbon-fiber back, similar to the Captivate, is nice looking and the camera is good (5 mp) with a flash. I'm wondering why they called it a "Cooper", it does look like an iPhone with 3" screen, maybe a play on a Mini-Cooper? And the keyboard switching from/to Thai is very handy.

Edited by lomatopo

But how do you pay for the paid apps. My understanding is that all Android Market purchases are processed through Google Checkout and that this is the service that is blocking Thai SIMS/ISPs or Thai credit cards.

Plenty of free apps but sometimes would like to upgrade to remove the ads but can only do this when "back home."

I pay with my Google account. It is linked to my US bank.

So anyone choosing the Samsung Ace/Cooper S5830 is locking themselves out of access to True's 850 Mhz 3G band and whatever may come of it in the future???

http://www.gsmarena...._s5830-3724.php

And it looks like the Acer beTouch E140 also is only 2100 Mhz 3G, no 850 Mhz...

http://www.gsmarena.com/acer_betouch_e140-3666.php

Edited by jfchandler

So anyone choosing the Samsung Ace/Cooper S5830 is locking themselves out of access to True's 850 Mhz 3G band and whatever may come of it in the future???

Yes, of course. The Samsung Cooper has 900/2100 MHz 3G radios, as do almost all smartphones sold in Thailand. 850 MHz was more of a political choice rather than a technical one. Anyone with this smartphone would probably want TOT 3G, or one their MVNOs, as they have equal or greater coverage, compared with True, with 2100 MHz. Most expect AIS/One-2-Call to implement 3G on 900 or 2100 MHz, ultimately, with DTAC/Happy and Truemove on 850 MHz. TOT says they will have 100% coverage by the end of this year, YMMV.

Obviously people should choose a smartphone based on their network requirements. I specifically sought out a smartphone which supports both 850 MHz and 2100 MHz for 3G, a Samsung Captivate from the U.S. (an AT&T phone), so I can try most 3G networks; I am currently on True and am extremely happy. (I use T-Mo 2G when in the U.S.) Very few smartphones here support 850 MHz, with the iPhone, Nokia N8, Motorola Milestone being widely available.

Anyone with this smartphone would probably want TOT 3G, or one their MVNOs, as they have equal or greater coverage, compared with True, with 2100 MHz.

Loma, not sure what you're meaning by the above comment... In Bangkok, yes, that would be true (correct) about the two carriers having similar 3G footprints. But at present, TOT's 3G is limited ONLY to BKK, whereas True's 3G is available in BKK and several other tourist oriented cities. So for right now, True has broader 3G coverage across the country...

Obviously people should choose a smartphone based on their network requirements. I specifically sought out a smartphone which supports both 850 MHz and 2100 MHz for 3G, a Samsung Captivate from the U.S. (an AT&T phone), so I can try most 3G networks; I am currently on True and am extremely happy. (I use T-Mo 2G when in the U.S.) Very few smartphones here support 850 MHz, with the iPhone, Nokia N8, Motorola Milestone being widely available.

I too pretty much only look at mobiles that have 3G bands on 850 and 2100 Mhz, which are relatively fewer in number... In the Nokia line, fortunately, it's not just the expensive N8 that can handle both... The new models such as C6 and E5, as well as the older e72, all handle 850 and 2100 Mhz....

The Samsung Captivate has a nice feature set across all the important categories, though I prefer to have a QWERTY hardware keyboard.... How much does the Captivate sell for here?

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i897_captivate-3408.php

Edited by jfchandler

Yes, True have some spot coverage in Pattaya, Chiang Mai and Phuket in addition to metro-Bangkok. Their WiFi coverage is also impressive, in Bangkok anyway. Some of their all-in-one packages are very cost-effective when you factor in the WiFi.

TOT's build-out looks very aggressive so getting a 2100 MHz smartphone seems, well, smart.

From 12 Jan. 2011: Phase 1 and Phase 2 will be available within 180 days is the Bangkok all areas and include perimeter four provinces and 13 provinces economy such as Chonburi, Rayong, Songkhla, Surat Thani, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lampang, Phitsanulok, Udon Thani, Nakhon Ratchasima, Khon Kaen and Nong Khai last phase will be extended to other provinces. Another 59 provinces within the 360-day TOT will be based on areas with high demand and has the potential to make money.

I'm not sure True and DTAC have the wherewithall for a nationwide roll-out for obvious reasons.

I only mentioned the Nokia N8 as it has come up here, but this thread is really about Android phones, but thanks for highlighting the other Nokia models with quad+-band 3G radios.

I purchased my Samsung Captivate (16 GB; unlocked, I subsequently rooted it, but no custom ROMs yet; Android 2.1) in the U.S., NIB on eBay (auction) for $400. It is moderately popular here given the screen, specs (850 MHz), design (a Galaxy S but it looks much different) and functionality. As with any model, it is available here as a grey-market import. On some Thai forums I've seen mention of prices ~ 17,000 baht as is (no guarantee/warranty), mostly at shops in MBK. As with the Galaxy S it is getting harder to find as supplies dwindle in anticipation of the replacement, sometimes known as the Galaxy S2.

If I were to buy right now, I might consider the Dell Venue, although the screen is not as good as the Galaxy S/Captivate. Also note that Verizon and T-Mo sell their own version of the Galaxy S (Fascinate, Vibrant).

Edited by lomatopo

How do i root an android samsung galaxy ace/cooper s5830?

Since this phone is so new it may be better to wait for some locals to figure out things like rooting? You should proceed cautiously. You can look at droidsans dot com for local info.

The closest thread I could find is --> http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=872488

FWIW I plugged a Samsung S5830 (Cooper) into my Win7 PC and it started loading drivers, not sure from where, and then when I mounted the phone it showed up as an external device in file manager. I do have the Win7/64 Samsung USB drivers installed on this machine. This new Samsung model is quite nice, local models are running 2.2.1 and are of course already unlocked. I like the size and feel of the phone. The carbon-fiber back, similar to the Captivate, is nice looking and the camera is good (5 mp) with a flash. I'm wondering why they called it a "Cooper", it does look like an iPhone with 3" screen, maybe a play on a Mini-Cooper? And the keyboard switching from/to Thai is very handy.

Yes. I'm glad I went with this phone. I'm thinking about doing a review for it. Other than the driver issue, one other problem I had was with the internet cutting out when the screen sleeps. samsung advised me to disable this by going to advanced settings in the wifi settings and turn off "disable wifi when screen sleeps" It may eat more battery over time, but better than having to reset the phone.

I am using a mac, which I doubt they support. And I also have access to windows xp. I had no luck with winxp already having the driver. Usually the driver is readily availabe online or somehow.

So I willl contact samsung regarding getting the driver manually. I got lucky and they replied in english the first time. Hopefully I will have similar luck now. http://th.samsungmobile.com/support/contact-us.do

Does samsung have some sort of desktop manager like blackberry or HTC that has all the drivers for all of their phones in one bundle?

The welcomm phones (A99, A86, A88) seem to have all 3. If you want a more recognized brand name, ACER Liquid Metal had all 3 3G frequencies. But 14900 was a bit much for that phone. If it was 11900, I would have considered it. I wonder why they just don't put all 3 to begin with?

Anyone know if AIS will be expanding their 3G network? Using them now, which is pretty good in most parts of Chiang Mai. TOT sounds like the way to go when they start up service up here. My Desire HD will work on AIS or TOT. My friend is arriving with my Desire HD tomorrow. Time to retire the HTC Hero. Excited.

And I also have access to windows xp. I had no luck with winxp already having the driver. Usually the driver is readily availabe online or somehow.

So I willl contact samsung regarding getting the driver manually. I got lucky and they replied in english the first time. Hopefully I will have similar luck now. http://th.samsungmobile.com/support/contact-us.do

Does samsung have some sort of desktop manager like blackberry or HTC that has all the drivers for all of their phones in one bundle?

I think the version of KIES here has the embedded USB drivers you may require? Again, no Mac support, only Windows.

I’m surprised you didn’t get the software with the phone, as others have?

Note the Windows SP, and Net Framework, requirements.

Loma, I'm sure you saw, True and CAT also announced their joint plans for a widescale 3G expansion recently...almost the same day as TOT announced theirs... But frankly, given the way things work here, I'll be surprised if either True or TOT can accomplish the kinds of 3G expansions they've promised on the kind of aggressive rollout schedule they've been talking....

I noticed Amazon is selling new Samsung Captivate for $525 through Expansys, I believe. It looked like EBay had some version of the phone for about $400...not sure what condition... However, I have a basic genetic predisposition to not spend $400 or $500 on any cell phone.... :ph34r:

Someone earlier recommended the Wellcom A88, I believe... I asked here if its camera was any good... The answer came back no... but there was a replacement ROM available that improved the camera performance... But then, the replacement ROM had some kind of issue that then required some additional kind of software fix... I ended up with the feeling I'd spend the first year of owning the phone fiddling around with changing and upgrading its software... That's not really the path I want to take in making a new mobile phone purchase. :(

Anyone know if AIS will be expanding their 3G network? Using them now, which is pretty good in most parts of Chiang Mai. TOT sounds like the way to go when they start up service up here. My Desire HD will work on AIS or TOT. My friend is arriving with my Desire HD tomorrow. Time to retire the HTC Hero. Excited.

What are the data upload and download limits for AIS, TOT, and TRUE 3G mobile network?

And I also have access to windows xp. I had no luck with winxp already having the driver. Usually the driver is readily availabe online or somehow.

So I willl contact samsung regarding getting the driver manually. I got lucky and they replied in english the first time. Hopefully I will have similar luck now. http://th.samsungmob...t/contact-us.do

I think the version of KIES here has the embedded USB drivers you may require? Again, no Mac support, only Windows.

I'm surprised you didn't get the software with the phone, as others have?

Note the Windows SP, and Net Framework, requirements.

Does this software come on the phone, MicroSD card, or a separate disk? I didn't see any extra installation disk. They opened the new box right in front of me at the tradeshow.

That KIES software link was just put there recently I guarantee you. I did a search on that site also and they did not have that stuff available. It looks like they added it Feb 1st. Thanks. All that's left is just to get the driver separately. But i may have to suck it up and install the whole package. I'll check it out first and see what happens.

The Samsung KIES S/W, with embedded USB drivers comes in the package on a small CD, I think I mentioned that in a previous post.

http://www.samsung-phones.org/download-samsung-kies-pc-sync-for-samsung-s5830/

Quote: "if you are looking for the samsung S5830 android usb driver, the Kies software will automatic install the USB Drivers, you can also locate the usb driver from the KIES Installation folders. good luck!"

You could try the appropriate (32 or 64 bit) Galaxy S USB drivers as these are what I have on my PC and I was able to connect a S5830 (Cooper).

Each 3G service provider has different terms and conditons re: download limits; these also vary by pre- and post-paid. Some, True for example, are instituting "Fair Use" policies, whereby the constrict the bandwidth, to GPRS-like speeds, after the threshold is reached, say 3 GB on an unlimited plan, (note that True appear to be honoring previous iPhone unlimited terms). Others charge per kB over the threshold, in the case of limited plans. You should review the terms and conditions of the specific plan(s) you are considering. I find it hard to believe that anyone with a smartphone can come close to 3 GB in 30 days, but I guess some tether the phone and use the 3G connection as their primary internet connection?

True-compatible 3G devices

Edited by lomatopo

The Samsung KIES S/W, with embedded USB drivers comes in the package on a small CD, I think I mentioned that in a previous post.

http://www.samsung-phones.org/download-samsung-kies-pc-sync-for-samsung-s5830/

Quote: "if you are looking for the samsung S5830 android usb driver, the Kies software will automatic install the USB Drivers, you can also locate the usb driver from the KIES Installation folders. good luck!"

You could try the appropriate (32 or 64 bit) Galaxy S USB drivers as these are what I have on my PC and I was able to connect a S5830 (Cooper).

Each 3G service provider has different terms and conditons re: download limits; these also vary by pre- and post-paid. Some, True for example, are instituting "Fair Use" policies, whereby the constrict the bandwidth, to GPRS-like speeds, after the threshold is reached, say 3 GB on an unlimited plan, (note that True appear to be honoring previous iPhone unlimited terms). Others charge per kB over the threshold, in the case of limited plans. You should review the terms and conditions of the specific plan(s) you are considering. I find it hard to believe that anyone with a smartphone can come close to 3 GB in 30 days, but I guess some tether the phone and use the 3G connection as their primary internet connection?

True-compatible 3G devices

Too bad...don't see any HTC phones on the list.

Anybody know if the new CAT 3G service is supported on HTC phone frequencies.

Anybody know if the new CAT 3G service is supported on HTC phone frequencies.

Certainly a great question. I haven't been able to determine exactly what the plan is re: frquency (ies). CAT is going to build out the infrastructure and then exclusively lease it to True. If I had to guess I'd say they continue with 850 MHz, but their installed base, primarily iPhones, support 850 and 2100 (3GS) while the 4 adds 900 support, so 2100 MHz remains an option. I haven't followed the legal wrangling on 3G but my impression is that TOT gets 2100 MHz and CAT(/True) have 850 MHz. Not sure where the "foreign" providers; AIS and DTAC, will end up. Maybe AIS as an MVNO of TOT? And DTAC holding the bag?

DTAC's small 3G trial in BKK (supposedly about three dozen transmitters) was run on the 850 Mhz band, same as True's, (which reportedly has about 600 3G transmitters, including 500 or so in the BKK area)....

AIS supposedly has some access to the 900 Mhz 3G band (a year ago they were publicly saying they were going to launch 3G service on that band). But more recently, AIS also was trying to get onto TOT's 2100 Mhz band... However, with the latest legal wrangling between AIS and TOT over past concession fees, it would seem unlikely TOT's going to be a partner to assist AIS in launching 3G service.

Right now, rightly or wrongly, both DTAC and AIS appear to be out in the Thailand wilderness as regards to future 3G service...