Traveling From Nakorn Sawan To Trang

RamdomChances

A mate of mine is getting married in November in Trang. I'm looking at the options for getting down there.

Option 1 :- Flying

There is an airport there but I think its only served by Thai Airways so it's about 12,000 bhat round trip for both of us, plus I have to get to BKK. Its quick but expensive

Option 2 :- Bus

Not even going to consider it as I hate buses :o

Option 3 :- Drive

Thinking about this but its a long way and with fuel prices like they are now and the fact that my pick-up drinks deisel it would still cost about 6,000 bhat return in fuel. Cheap flexible, going downs OK but the drive home is a killer (about 1300 km I recon)

Option 4 :- Train

I'm seriously considering this, been looking at a few sites and it looks like I can get a first class sleeper return for about 6,000 bhat, own air con room and bed's. I could probably just take the train from here to BKK as well saving the hassle of driving to BKK. Also I've never done a long train journey so it might be nice to give it a go, time is not really a problem. Has anyone had experiance with overnight train journies in Thailand, any stories, tips would be appreciated.

RC

If cost is a factor there is really no good reason to use 1st class as 2nd class air conditioned is very comfortable and IMO is all around better. Better seating as you are both next to window with own seat (across) (first class a bench/bed seat side by side sitting). 2nd class sleep along car so stops/starts (at lot) don't roll you out (1st class across seating). 2nd class you have interaction with others if you like (1st class closed cabin).

Above 2nd class would be my choice but I have had good bus travel using the super VIP 24 seat type. But if you want any sleep suspect the train would be much better.

Thank Lop, Cost is'nt the overiding factor, although I do find the fact that I'll save about 7,000 bhat by going by train appealing. I looked at the 2nd class, but though the first looked better. 2nd's about half the price.

Do these trains have resteraunt carrages that you can get out of the room ?

I've never really been into bus's (they are ok for an hour or two) if it comes to that I'd prefer to drive myself.

If you can take the train from Nakhorn Sawan to Don Muang then I'd fly.

I wouldn't take the bus for safety reason (I don't know about south bound buses but I've seen Isaan bound bus drivers to be terrible drivers) and especially not if I have to change the bus station from Morchit to Sai Tai in Thonburi which is quite some distance by taxi. And not to mention the freezing air-con for a long distance bus ride.

If flying is no option then I'd take the train if I don't have to change the train station (from Hualamphong to another) to get on the south bound train (which according to my Tarang-born wife leaves from Hualamphong).

Food quality varies as they seem to put up contracts every few months but should at least be edible. I always ate in seat using service as there is a table available for them.

One thing I did not mention is that I believe all the current 2nd class carriages are new models from Korea but the 1st class are still the old type with very poor and noisy ride. But I could be wrong as have not used in years.

I would not normally travel bus but I can never sleep and found the 24 seat VIP very comfortable as seating is 1x2 with aircraft type seats and enough room between rows that you don't have person in front in your lap (as on normal 30 seat VIP bus).

Edited by lopburi3

I would not normally travel bus but I can never sleep and found the 24 seat VIP very comfortable as seating is 1x2 with aircraft type seats and enough room between rows that you don't have person in front in your lap (as on normal 30 seat VIP bus).

How about the drivers of VIP buses? Are they safe drivers? And no freezing air-con? Any refreshment available on long distance route? Clean toilet?

How about the drivers of VIP buses? Are they safe drivers? And no freezing air-con? Any refreshment available on long distance route? Clean toilet?

I always use the government registered blue bus service and drivers very good and they have police check points they have to be tested at. Normal service has a drink/snake and a stop for meal enroute. I did use about a dozen times years ago, often with the wife, and never had a bad driver. Several times we were forced to use back dirt roads to avoid the highways blockages caused by farmers strikes but think they are history now.

If you can take the train from Nakhorn Sawan to Don Muang then I'd fly.
If I flew I'd drive to the airport as its the right side of BKK for me and I'll probably have to go into Nakorn town (70 km) to catch an express train. I could get a "normal" train to BKK from Takli (25 km) but it takes about 4 hrs to get there. I can do my house to the airport in 2 hrs.

My wife just looked at some pic's of 1st and 2nd class she recons 2nd would be ok, still fancy a room though. I'm not going by bus :o

Think I would drive to Lopburi to catch a train myself as at least that is the right direction and will save some travel time.  If you can make the run to Don Muang in 2 hours Lopburi should only be a few minutes. :D

Lopburi is about 90 km away Lop about an hour, the airport is only 170 Km and better roads. I've often wondered why my pick-up uses so much fuel :o

If cost is a factor there is really no good reason to use 1st class as 2nd class air conditioned is very comfortable and IMO is all around better.  Better seating as you are both next to window with own seat (across) (first class a bench/bed seat side by side sitting).  2nd class sleep along car so stops/starts (at lot) don't roll you out (1st class across seating).  2nd class you have interaction with others if you like (1st class closed cabin).

Above 2nd class would be my choice but I have had good bus travel using the super VIP 24 seat type.  But if you want any sleep suspect the train would be much better.

I am scared of Thai buses. They drive too fast and very wildly.

Never been on one but the way theycut me on highways or flesh their lights while I am doing 120km is not pleasant. Don't know what the folks aboard feel.

I was tailgated by Lopburi-bound bus yesterday while driving in the middle lane of Paholyothin Rd. at 90km/h yesterday. He did signaled with high beam before over taking me from immediately behind but I didn't feel a need to let him pass driving in the middle lane. :o Nakhon Ratchsima bound bus drivers also tend to be quite reckless, as far as I can tell from my experiences.

So we've had busses, anyone else with experiances of the trains :o

Mate, for how long can you leave your estate unattended?

Is it time or money that is making you think it over and over?

Time: fly.

Cost: your own car, the time won't be much shorter if you took a bus or a train. And you and your passengers are in your hands.

So we've had busses, anyone else with experiances of the trains :o

I've taken the Bangkok-Trang train and vice-versa a few times. There are two trains: an express that leaves Hualamphong at 17:05 and a rapid that departs at 18:20. The express is about an hour and a half faster, with both trains arriving in Trang the following morning.

I enjoy traveling by train and used to do a lot of it before the advent of the low cost airlines. I pretty much stick with 2nd class air-con, lower bunk preferably.

Mate, for how long can you leave your estate unattended?

Is it time or money that is making you think it over and over?

Time: fly.

Cost: your own car, the time won't be much shorter if you took a bus or a train. And you and your passengers are in your hands.

Time is not a problem, it's going to be a fairly quiet time on the farm and I have staff. Oct/november is going to be busy for me though, I'm going down to Phuket,with an other friend mid october (flying), got a trip to Korat (driving) and am supposed to be going down to Pattaya for a few days as well (driving), then begining of Nov this wedding, so saving 6-7,000 bhat sounds quite good.

As for the ammout of time they take I recon

Fly :- here to the airport 2.5 hrs, arrive early 1.5 hrs, fly and get bags 2 hrs so 6 hrs cost 13,500

Drive :- done the Phuket trip loads of times and I recon Trang is a bit further so 12 hrs cost about 6-7000 bhat

Train :- all together about 20 hrs (16 hrs BKK to Trang,but a lot of that can be spent sleeping)cost about 6-7000 bhat, less if 2nd class.

So driving or train will save me about 6-7000 bhat for about 12hrs longer, thats not bad money for 12 hrs :o

We are only spending 2 nights down there, driving down would be OK, but then we will probably be having a few pre-wedding beers that night, then up at the crack of dawn next day for the wedding, a party in the night, and then back to the hotel. Driving home the next day will be a killer.

Flying would be the simpest, but I've never done a train journey here so quite fancy giving it a go, hopefully get some sleep on the train and arrive in Trang rested and relaxed. Same coming back, it sounds much nicer sleeping my hangover off in train than trying to drive 1300 km with one :D

Ovenman, thanks for the input, I've got some links to the times, I think 1st class is only avalible on the 17:05 train.

Does Hualamphong have car parking ?

Ovenman, thanks for the input, I've got some links to the times, I think 1st class is only avalible on the 17:05 train.

That may well be true. The SRT doesn't always put a first-class carriage on a rapid train but you will find one on an express train. For what it's worth, you could also pick up either Trang-bound train at Bang Sue rather than have to go all the way into town and Hualamphong.

If you want to use a train to get to Bangkok, there is a rapid train that passes through Nakhon Sawan at 11:00 and arrives Hualamphong at 15:40.

Still think you should catch the train in Lopburi but if you drive to Bangkok Bang Sue Junction (south train) is probably where you should park as there is normally plenty of room there. Just remember there are two stations (within about 500 meters) and you want the one further North (unless things have changed in recent years - been some time since I used).

Just remember there are two stations (within about 500 meters) and you want the one further North (unless things have changed in recent years - been some time since I used).

That's correct. One needs to look for the Southbound Trains platform at Bang Sue. This is pretty clearly marked. What can be confusing though is that the other platform is not marked Northbound Trains. Therefore, if you arrive at Bang Sue on a train from Lopburi/Nakhon Sawan/points north, your departure to the south will be from a different platform altogether.