Speed Variation With Tot

msg362

I have a 6 Mb down/ 1 Mb up NOMINAL from TOT, no choice where I live to use other providers.

I was uploading a 178 Mb file to You Tube at 5.10 pm. The first 47% went up in about 14 minutes, manageable , and it indicated that it would take about 15 minutes to upload the rest. At about 5.30 everything ground to a halt and You Tube indicated 35 minutes. Then it stopped for a while, no activity from the modem internet light. At about 5.55 pm it all speeded up again and the remainder ( about 50%) downloaded in about 10 minutes

I've no idea what is going on, does anyone?

The 6Mb Jetpack package is only 512kb upload. Starting at 9Mb the upload goes to 1Mb. See TOT link: http://www.tot.co.th...id=1067〈=en. If you are getting a faster upload modem sync speed TOT probably set it up wrong (I wouldn't say anything) or you are getting an inaccurate upload reading.

Regarding the variations in speed, it's probably just bandwidth bottlenecks/overload at certain points along the way from Thailand to the YouTube server and it can vary throughout the day and week. Expect most of the bandwidth bottlenecks/overload are in Thailand and some of them could be your "local area" circuits where the next guy on the same 6Mb plan not to far away may be on different local circuits (DSLAM bank, central office, etc) and have good download or upload speeds. This applies to all Thailand ISPs, although some are better than others. I'm on the TOT 6Mb plan here in western Bangkok and see speed variations all the time...morning is usually the fastest time and the late evening/early night the slowest time for me...but the download and upload speeds are still fairly good....more than adequate for general browsing, emailing, and using a download manager for file downloads I usually get in the 3 to 4Mb range. But with video streaming I get a lot of pausing. Good/fast internet in Thailand is very territorial....Location, Location, Location.

Edited by Pib

I get this at 10pm through until midnight-ish - mass slow down. I put it down to people suddenly hitting the torrents (I guess the choke is still in place on torrents until 10pm). I just put up with it - what other option is there other than changing ISP?

I do not know what the TOT compression ration is, but I bet its high.

one way to conduct a test is to download the same file and note the time required; try downloading file and note the time taken; http://build.chromium.org/f/chromium/snapshots/chromium-rel-xp/72949/chrome-win32.zip I used to be able to download it within 1 minute at 600/sec but now it takes 5 minutes at 120KB/sec; not sure whether the server is limiting download speed though

The 6Mb Jetpack package is only 512kb upload. Starting at 9Mb the upload goes to 1Mb. See TOT link: http://www.tot.co.th...id=1067〈=en. If you are getting a faster upload modem sync speed TOT probably set it up wrong (I wouldn't say anything) or you are getting an inaccurate upload reading.

Regarding the variations in speed, it's probably just bandwidth bottlenecks/overload at certain points along the way from Thailand to the YouTube server and it can vary throughout the day and week. Expect most of the bandwidth bottlenecks/overload are in Thailand and some of them could be your "local area" circuits where the next guy on the same 6Mb plan not to far away may be on different local circuits (DSLAM bank, central office, etc) and have good download or upload speeds. This applies to all Thailand ISPs, although some are better than others. I'm on the TOT 6Mb plan here in western Bangkok and see speed variations all the time...morning is usually the fastest time and the late evening/early night the slowest time for me...but the download and upload speeds are still fairly good....more than adequate for general browsing, emailing, and using a download manager for file downloads I usually get in the 3 to 4Mb range. But with video streaming I get a lot of pausing. Good/fast internet in Thailand is very territorial....Location, Location, Location.

I'm paying extra for the 1 Mb to upload video, Here in San Kampheng I get 6 Mb down and 1 Mb up for 890 Baht ( Nominal!!). Like you, I try to work early in the morning, but last night it was really very bad.

I'm paying extra for the 1 Mb to upload video, Here in San Kampheng I get 6 Mb down and 1 Mb up for 890 Baht ( Nominal!!). Like you, I try to work early in the morning, but last night it was really very bad.

I found on a few occassions where the speed slowed down a lot, even for general browsing, that if I turned my modem off for approx 15 seconds, then turn it back on the speed is back to normal. Guess the modem resync's with the DSLAM, maybe gets a new IP address, something occurs that speeds things up again. And for me, these speed slow downs have always occured in the late evening/early night.