No Overstay For Kids

My baby was born in Norway last year. My wife is Thai. In april we return to Thailand. I have a Non Imm, but my baby just a 30 day touristvisa. We apply for Thai passport for the baby at the thai embassey, but it will take a while. My wife used to take the baby to cross the border at Nong khai every 30 days to not get overstayed. Last time an officer at Immigration told us that kids below 14 years don't need visa to stay in Thailand. The officer also said that the baby can stay here until 14 years old without pay overstay, deported or any other problem with immigration.

I never heard about this before but, Nong Khai Immigration confirmed.

Can I believe it?

I have a 3 year old Daughter, born in the UK, my Thai wife returned to Thailand 1st week in july with my two Daughters, she came back from Thailand 31st August, with myself, my Daughter has a UK Passport, we did not pay any overstay for the child, last year i got a 3 months visa for her, the immigration guy in Bangkok told my wife, no need to get a visa for a child, so this year we did not bother and had no problems. i am also going to get her a Thai passport in the future.

Coincidentally, this subject has been debated on another forum recently. The MFA and various RTE websites don't seem to give a definitive answer, so one member, sensibly, e-mailed the Thai consulate in Hull. From their reply it appears that the following applies to children.

Children who hold a foreign passport and are entering Thailand for more than 30 days or do not have a return or onward ticket require a visa in the same way as any adult.

However, if the child has a Thai mother, is accompanied by the mother and can, if necessary, prove the relationship, then they do not require a visa and can stay for as long as the mother does.

Not withstanding the above, children under 14 who overstay are extremely unlikely to be fined or have any other sanction applied against them.

As lopburi3 says, if the child has dual nationality and a Thai passport it makes sense to use that passport to enter and leave the kingdom.