California man arrested on threat of terrorism charges against Detroit, MI mosque

News_Editor

California man arrested on threat of terrorism charges against Detroit, MI mosque

2011-01-31 10:42:25 GMT+7 (ICT)

DETROIT, MICHIGAN (BNO NEWS) -- A California man was arrested after threatening to blow up Detroit, Michigan's largest Islamic center, local media reported Sunday.

Roger Stockholm, 63, was arrested outside the Islamic Center of America, which is located on Ford Road in Dearborn, Michigan, while around 700 people were inside the mosque last Monday attending a funeral, the Detroit Free Press reported.

Following Stockholm's arrest, police have described him as "very dangerous," and with a previous criminal record. Officials also told the paper he had decided to travel to Dearborn to target the Arab-American community, where it is the largest in the U.S.

Local authorities responded to a call made by a local bar owner who had overheard violent threats, allegedly made by Stockholm.

Stockholm was arrested with a car packed of high-end fireworks. He was arraigned Wednesday on one count on a threat of terrorism or false report and one count of explosive-possession of bombs with unlawful intent for possession of Class C fireworks.

Police said the number of fireworks were the limit one could buy legally, saying they were not conventional fireworks and could be potentially used as weapons.

Stockholm is currently in jail on a $500,000 bond.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-01-31

Story doesn't say what part of California he is from. Where someone such as County, or City can tell you a lot about the person.

Stockholm was previously living in Imperial Beach, CA and was described as a man who kept to himself and was often visiting the local VFW club in the area.

http://www.viscosimedia.com/20110131651/news/world/stockholm-arrested-with-explosives-at-michigan-mosque

VFW stand for Veterans of Foreign Wars of the USA, i assume.

What does that tell you now?

Story doesn't say what part of California he is from. Where someone such as County, or City can tell you a lot about the person.

Stockholm was previously living in Imperial Beach, CA and was described as a man who kept to himself and was often visiting the local VFW club in the area.

http://www.viscosime...michigan-mosque

VFW stand for Veterans of Foreign Wars of the USA, i assume.

What does that tell you now?

he likes the friday night catfish fry at the vfw hall?

"Stockholm is currently in jail on a $500,000 bond."

I am not familiar with US law/legal terms but does this mean that if he comes up with $500,000 he would be released on bail???

Yep, a bail bondsman would have to put up 500K in collateral (doubtful this guy has 500k of his own to put up), it would be returned to the bondsman if/when the defendant shows up for trial. The bondsman charges 10-15% for this service. If he doesn't show up for trial, the bail bondsman will send the bounty hunters looking for him.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Bail_bondsman

Stockholm. Swedish name. Cue the crazy allegations about "Swedish" people. whistling.gif

Ok, so another nutter is nabbed. Just another day in crazy California. Sane people do not embark on these types of escapades.

No, not a Swedish name but the name of a Swedish city. So legally one cannot be named it in Sweden.

No idea how he got to carry it, presumably taken by his for-fathers some generations back [already living in the US].

I am not familiar with US law/legal terms but does this mean that if he comes up with $500,000 he would be released on bail???

Yep, a bail bondsman would have to put up 500K in collateral (doubtful this guy has 500k of his own to put up), it would be returned to the bondsman if/when the defendant shows up for trial. The bondsman charges 10-15% for this service. If he doesn't show up for trial, the bail bondsman will send the bounty hunters looking for him.

Possibly that he or his family put up a cash-bond of 50k via putting a house as collateral against a lender etc.

Possibly that he or his family put up a cash-bond of 50k via putting a house as collateral against a lender etc.

I assumed so much but didn't want to put my foot in it. It just strikes me as very odd that someone who the police say is 'very dangerous' and has been arrested on terrorism charges has an option of bail???