United Nations

Last night a good friend, who has worked in Bangkok on contact to the Thai Gov from a large UK company, for a number of years, showed me a United Nations driving licence. This licence was obtained through these business contacts in Bangkok.This licence, he assures me is genuine and not something thought up on Khao San Road. This licence has a photo, United Nation emblems and an impressive stamp over his photo and laminated.

He claims this is valid world wide and says he has hired cars with. He has not worked for the United Nations in any capacity. Are his claims right?? because I am sure you could have problems using this in the UK and possibly elsewhere. Can anyone shed any light on this subject!!!!!!!!!.And yes I know everything is copied in LOS.

I have one of these licences, they work in Thailand, but probably nowhere else. I have used mine for insurance purposes, bank id, etc - When I got it, I thought it could be legitimate, but last year the guy who I purchased it from in Bangkok, was arrested for forgery and visa services (he had 20 passports from clients with him).

From memory U N Drivers Permits are only issued for use in the designated misson area..ie.Iraq,East Timor,Cambodia etc.

I have just dug out my old (genunine ) UNTAC license to have a looksee and although I suppose it was issued only for Kampuchea I never had any trouble hopping over the border at Arayna,Poipet,Stung Treng or even Rattanakiri for a jolly down in LOS,Laos or V-Nam.In fact on one occasion I got back to Krunghrep I had half of the Thai army in the back...so no prob-leeem.The permit itself is white and laminated with a UN Crest,and is signed by the Chief transport Officer for the mission but has NO photo...so :o

We also had a ID card this time coloured blue with a picture and signed by Chief Security Officer.Authority statements in English,French,Thai and Khmer and handy for jumping on the nearest helicopter going anywhere...which I did :D

Some years ago I was offerred a United Nations licience but I knew it was a phoney. Its real easy to get a legal Thai driving licience without paying extra. A Thai friend got an international driving licience which he has used in both Australia and New Zealand, tells me that he got it at the main PO in bangkok :o Regards Joe Strawberry

U.N.Passport....bit of Info.. : B)

Laissez-passer....basically means "safe conduct"

ARTICLE VII

UNITED NATIONS LAISSEZ-PASSER

Section 21

The United Nations may issue United Nations laissez-passer to its officials. These laissez-passer shall be recognized and accepted as valid travel documents by the Swiss authorities taking into account the provisions of Section 22.

Section 22

Applications for visas (where required) from the holders of United Nations laissez-passer, when accompanied by a certificate that they are travelling on the business of the United Nations, shall be dealt with as speedily as possible. In addition, such persons shall be granted facilities for speedy travel.

Section 23

Similar facilities to those specified in Section 22 shall be accorded to experts and other persons who, though not the holders of United Nations laissez-passer, have a certificate that they are travelling on the business of the United Nations.

Section 24

The Secretary-General, Assistant Secretaries-General, Directors and if the Sectretary-General should so desire, the Chief Administrative Officer of the United Nations in Switzerland, travelling on United Nations laissez-passer on the business of the United Nations shall be granted the same facilities as are accorded to diplomatic envoys. :D:o