Hat Yai To Sungai Kolok

aNoma

Went on big bike a couple of times from Hatyai - Pattani - Narathiwat - Sungai Golok, Rantau Panjang and finally Khota Baru.

Never any problem - last on new year day 2011.

We also entered Narathiwat for a bite, no hassle. No police seen - only army though!

Did Hat Yai - Sungai Kolok on the local train a couple of years ago, commented on TV that all the other passengers were muslims dressed like extras from North West Frontier or somesuch, and that I felt a bit conspicuous and even uncomfortable, not that I had any problems though. Predictably I got slaughtered for my trouble.

So I did the trip and all went smooth. I took a direct bus from Bangkok to Sungai Kolok for 706 Baht (from the Southern bus terminal). Depart 4 pm, arrive 10:30 am next day. The bus dropped me off 5 min walk from the border (I told the driver that I will be going to Malaysia). After the formalities, on the left at the end of the raw of roofed walkway, there are people waiting for bus number 29 to Kota Bharu. It arrives roughly every hour, but not on schedule. It cost RM 5.10 and took 1.5 hours to Kota Bharu.

Going further, bus number 639 goes to Kuala Besut for Rm 6. It goes from the bus station and leaves at 6.15, 9:30, 12:00, 14:00, 16:30, 18:30. It took 2 hours to get there.

Buses from Kuala Besut to Kota Bharu run at the same times (but in opposite direction of course)

The ride was smooth. Lots of road blocks and army on the Thai side, but otherwise quiet. We weren't stopped for inspections.