Need Help Ubuntu Freezes

livinthailandos

First of all I hope there is someone out there who can help me with this problem cause it is very annoying

From Jan 8 till Jan 31st I have had at least 5 different times when using ubuntu and just reading online when the computer completely freezes and no matter what I do even, when I just sit and do nothing for 10 minutes the computer still freezes and results in me having to press Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up shutdown which starts the timer for shutdown in 60 secs otherwise no way to use ubuntu, I have been doing a google search but no luck and today it froze on me 2 times already, I really have no idea whats causing the OS to make a complete stand still mind you I'm using

Ubuntu Netbook remix 10.10

Intel Atom processor

2GB of ram

have plenty of hard drive space available

I've even runned my antivirus to check and it found nothing. if you guys have any ideas I definetly welcome them

last thing when I say it freezes I mean you can't do anything no matter what you click and try to bring up anything you can't do anything

Might not be a Ubuntu issue - if it happens when browsing which browser and is it up to date - java scripts in add on etc can be the cause. try a different browser and see if your java package can be up dated. remove add on that might be a cause.

RKASA had my answer; I've noticed that Flash seems to be a problem on certain sites.  If you can Ctrl-Alt-F1 and run 'htop' you might see that '/urs/bin/X :0 -br -a_whole_bunch of other things' is pegging your processor.   A quick and dirty fix to Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

that is normal on Ubuntu.

I was also unable to use it :-(

It's not normal on Ubuntu. I had that problem on my old notebook, but since I bought the one I'm presently using, I haven't had it for almost two years. I'm very sure my own issue had to do with the hardware of the old notebook.

Here are a couple of posibilities

1) I had a problem exactly like this. I discovered that my machine froze after 15 minutes of no activity. The timing was always predictable. It was a problem related to the power management settings, Try playing with that if you have a predictable outage (ie. the number of minutes after "no activity")

2) You may have a memory problem that halts the system whenever bad memory is accessed. Depending on the problem, you may not get the implicating beeps during startup. Some memory problems are not discovered at boot time. Try a full memory scan.

3) you have a damaged version of Ubuntu, not too likely as these issues are usually detected when you download.

Keep looking for related events or processes that are active when you halt.

Look at ps -ef frequently to familiarize yourself with running processes.

Unfortunately, I think it is a linux problem. Were you doing anything more than keeping a browser open?

Like say, torrent + flash + tetris?

The problem is that Linux is a server system first and only now, in the name of the desktop, ist interactivity capable of being added as a "feature " :Take a look at threads from many forums about Linux's poor UI responsiveness. Large file transfers can block io in an interactive program like a game.Yes, I have had the same issue on Stock Ubuntu which is one reason I switched, first to Mint 10 which has some patches to help interaction. It is better but I have found what works best on my laptop is a relatively new distro called Fuduntu(I hope to say more about it later) whiich adds things like BFS and cgroups to help but the bottom line is I have never had more than a few seconds of UI freeze with it.

There is still a problem with poor responsiveness when you run out of ram but there are patches in the works for that too.

Edited by BugJackBaron