Required Salary For Work Permit

Can anyone help me? I have agreed to work for a Thai employer for 35,000 baht per month. The work permit has been issued, but I have to exit the country to get a B visa, as I am currently on an O.

The lady dealing with this advised me that the best thing to do is to get a 3 month single entry B visa, and then to extend this in Thailand, so that I would not have to do the visa run afterwards.

However I am told that Koh Samui immigration require proof that the salary is at least 60,000 baht per month before they will issue an extension.

Can anyone tell me which figure is correct?

For an extension from Immigration most Nationalities have to earn 50,000 Baht a month.

You can work with a Non Imm O Visa.

Nationality

Minimum Income

1. European countries (except Russia), Australia continent, Canada, Japan, and U.S.A.

Baht 50,000/month

2. South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong

Baht 45,000/month

3. Asian countries (except Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam), South America continent, Countries in Eastern Europe, Countries in Central America, Mexico, Turkey, Russia and South Africa

Baht 35,000/month

4. African countries (except South Africa), Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam

Baht 25,000/month

Many thanks for that - it is very useful.

For an extension from Immigration most Nationalities have to earn 50,000 Baht a month.

You can work with a Non Imm O Visa.

Nationality

Minimum Income

1. European countries (except Russia), Australia continent, Canada, Japan, and U.S.A.

Baht 50,000/month

2. South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong

Baht 45,000/month

3. Asian countries (except Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam), South America continent, Countries in Eastern Europe, Countries in Central America, Mexico, Turkey, Russia and South Africa

Baht 35,000/month

4. African countries (except South Africa), Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam

Baht 25,000/month

That info. was taken from the Police Order that deals with extensions of stay.

Police Order 2008.pdf

I think your wrong. So youre saying that the hundreds and hundreds of us that teach English for 25k or 30k etc have never got that extension? Wrong my friend. Its not how much you earn, it's the matter that even if you volunteer in Thailand you need a WP. Dont let this discourage you mate. Everyone else can get WP's for under 50k so why couldn't you.

Actually TBG ^^^, I think you'll find that teachers have an exception that allows lower salaries to gain extensions.

Since our OP made no mention of teaching it may not be relevant.

Journalists as well .... (to the best of my knowledge)

Koh Samui used to give extensions on WP showing a salary of 30,000.......this was classified as a part time position so gave the employer the benefit of employing two foreigners rather than one.....this was almost 5 years ago though.

Koh Samui used to give extensions on WP showing a salary of 30,000.......this was classified as a part time position so gave the employer the benefit of employing two foreigners rather than one.....this was almost 5 years ago though.

I'm not sure the law actually allows for 'part time positions'. What were the nationalities of the foreigners?

I'm not sure the law actually allows for 'part time positions'. What were the nationalities of the foreigners?

U.K, Israel and Swedish

U.K, Israel and Swedish

Most interesting. Good for the employers and employees in this case.

The information I gave was correct. Teachers do not come under that rule.

True that LB. The op should maybe state what work he is doing however I know that you must have a WP even if you are volunteering in Thailand and also lets just say I am a musician and even if I want to play a few songs on stage at a bar that does not have the proper permits to allow this (not that easy to get) I would also need a WP am I correct? Sorry it's a little off topic

Extension of stay rule for Musician.

2.30 In the case of a performer, a singer, a musician, a conductor or a person who works in entertainment or theatrical, for an occasional performance

Permission will be granted not more than 90 days

(1) Confirmation and request has been made by concerned private company.

There is no required minimum income for a work eprmit, only for an extension of stay. Indeed many people who don't have the required income stay in Thailand on entries of a (multiple) non-B and just don't get the extension but do a border run every 90 days.

There is no required minimum income for a work eprmit, only for an extension of stay. Indeed many people who don't have the required income stay in Thailand on entries of a (multiple) non-B and just don't get the extension but do a border run every 90 days.

Wow, this is a superb gem of information. So you can get a work permit with a lower salary and still have to do the visa run?

Sounds pretty weird and admittedly, I don't know anybody to who this appies. In 20 years, the only border-run people I have met were those who didn't have a work permit, and the people with a WP didn't have to do border runs.

It is true regardless. The income requirement for extension of stay is set by Immigration and has had nothing to do with Labor work permit requirements. And there are been many people posting here over the years who have had to make exits and return and there still are. Even having the wage does not allow new company employees to obtain extensions so they are doing the border crossing for the first year or more. Not everyone making runs are illegal workers.

As a practical matter will the work permit be issued for say 25,000 baht per month in Bangkok for an American?

I have heard that they need to see at least 40,000 baht per month - no reflection on the actual law.

It is true regardless. The income requirement for extension of stay is set by Immigration and has had nothing to do with Labor work permit requirements. And there are been many people posting here over the years who have had to make exits and return and there still are. Even having the wage does not allow new company employees to obtain extensions so they are doing the border crossing for the first year or more. Not everyone making runs are illegal workers.

You are a guru over here, so I will believe you. But this strikes me as highly weird - wouldn't you agree?

As a practical matter will the work permit be issued for say 25,000 baht per month in Bangkok for an American?

I have heard that they need to see at least 40,000 baht per month - no reflection on the actual law.

That should be no problem, only an extension of stay would not be issued by immigration.

• 2 weeks later...

That should be no problem, only an extension of stay would not be issued by immigration.

Come on. You are saying that he will be allowed to work here but will not be allowed to stay? How practical is this advice?