90 Day Border Run Must Re-Enter Before Visa Exp?

Went to Chiang Mai immigration today to do my first official 90 day reporting on a one year education visa. The officer told me that my current visa stamp was about to expire on the 9th which is correct. I told him I was going to Singapore on the 9th the day it expires and would be re-entering on the 15th. I figured rather than doing a border run I would checkout Singapore for a few days. He told me this would invalidate my 1 year visa because I would be re-entering after the expiration date of my current stamp. I was under the assumption that one just needed to leave before the expiration date and that the re-entry date was irrelevant. He told me to go to my school and get an official letter from them and he would give me an extension on my current stamp so that when I re-enter Thailand from Singapore my visa would still be valid and immigraton would give me another 90 day extension when re-entering. Does this sound correct?

You do not do 90 day reporting on a visa entry as a visa entry would only allow a stay of 90 days regardless of it being single or multi entry.

On an extension of stay (which it seems you are using) you must obtain a re-entry permit prior to travel and on return will be stamped to the previous permitted to stay date (which will also be the date on the re-entry permit.

So if you attempted to travel with your current 9th, even if obtaining a re-entry permit it would expire on the 9th so new entry would only be a visa exempt 15-30 day stamp.

You do not do 90 day reporting on a visa entry as a visa entry would only allow a stay of 90 days regardless of it being single or multi entry.

On an extension of stay (which it seems you are using) you must obtain a re-entry permit prior to travel and on return will be stamped to the previous permitted to stay date (which will also be the date on the re-entry permit.

So if you attempted to travel with your current 9th, even if obtaining a re-entry permit it would expire on the 9th so new entry would only be a visa exempt 15-30 day stamp.

I really don't know much about this visa stuff, it confuses the heck out of me so I will explain exactly what I have done.

On July 22nd 2010 I got a visa from Portland Oregon which reads:

Non immigrant visa

No: XXXXX

Category: ED

Good for MULTIPLE journeys...

Utilize before July 21, 2011

On the 12th of August I landed in Bangkok and utilized the visa and got the following stamp:

Visa Class: M-ED

12 August 2010

Admitted until: 9 November 2010

On the 4th of November I went to immigration with official paperwork from my school. I also applied for a re-entry permit so I could leave for holiday in cambodia the following day. I received the following stamp:

Application of stay is permitted up to 9 Feb 2011

Applicant must leave the Kingdom within the date specified herein offenders will be prosecuted

IMMIGRATION OFFICER - Signature - 4 Nov 2010

PLEASE CONTACT IMMIGRATION OFFICE FOR REENTRY PERMIT BEFORE LEAVING THAILAND

As well as the following re-entry stamp:

Valid until: 9 Feb 2011

Number of persons: 1

Number of entries: Single

Length of stay until: 9 Feb 2011

Date of Issue: 4 Nov 2010

Category: non-imm

And also a white sheet was stapled to the back page of my passport telling me to report back to immigration for 90 day reporting on Feb 1 2010

On the 5th of November I went to Cambodia and when exiting Thailand got a triangle stamp which reads:

DEPARTED

5 November 2010

Upon re-entering Thailand from Cambodia on the 12th my re-entry stamp was stamped with the following:

USED 12 Nov 2010

I also received the following stamp upon re-entry:

Visa Class: non-re

12 Nov 2010

Admit until: 09/02/2011

On July 22nd 2010 you received a Non Imm Visa giving unlimited entries up until July 21st 2011. This means you can come and go and receive 90 days on every entry up until July 21st.

I do not understand why you visited Immigration in November to apply for extensions and Re Entry Permits when you already had Visa entries that would have taken you up to the middle of October 2011.

Admittedly Ed Visas and extensions are not my strong point.

You now seem to be applying for 90 day extensions at 1,900 Baht a time .

@beechguy - the visa is not marked used.

@Lite Beer - I originally thought that was how it worked. However, my school gave me a folder of papers and told me I would need to visit immigration back in November. Thats what I did, I was informed by immigration at that time that I would need to pay $1,900 baht for what I assume to be an extension as well as a $1000 baht (if remember the price right) re-entry permit to leave and come back into Thailand from Cambodia.

Edited by TrippRitter

Up to you what you do.

Border runs and get 90 days each time you enter. Do a run just before July 21st and you will get another 90 days. No need to go to Immigration or 90 day reports or Re Entry Permits.

OR

Continue going to Immigration and applying for extensions at 1,900 Baht a time. Make 90 day reports.

A bit of a waste if you have already paid for a Visa.

Most private thai language schools give out that packet of paperwork and tell students to go to immigrations and get a 90 day extension. So rarely do students get a year long multi entry type ED visa BEFORE coming here that the schools just assume everyone has only a single and hands out the paperwork for a years worth of extensions of stay.

This hiccup came about because he got an in-country extension of stay, instead of running for the border and getting another 90 days upon re-entering thailand.

As I read this; the original VISA is still valid, but the current extension of stay will expire on the 9th. In theory, if the O/P exits (and he won't need to buy a re-entry permit as the original visa is a multi), when he comes back ON THE ORIGINAL ED VISA he'd get another 90 day "permission to stay stamp" in his passport.

I have seen cases where some students on this type of visa go for in country extensions of stay, some run-4-the-border, (the cost is nearly the same). Personally with this type of visa, I wouldn't do in-country extensions and just border run every 90 days. This also stops the O/P from doing 90 day reporting.

Again, in theory, the original year long multi entry ED visa issued from Oregon is still VALID. Now whether things will play out like that when he comes back and passport control sees he was on an extension of stay, who knows !! I'd most definitely write the original ED visa number on the arrival card when he enters, have it stapled to the page with the ED visa, showing he's coming in on it and NOT on the expired extension of stay.

Interesting, I hope the O/P will report back and let us know what actually happens.

As An Aside;

Because the O/P has done an extension of stay already another option would be; he could take the paperwork from the school and go to thai immigrations and get another 90 day extension of stay. (He should buy a re-entry permit too, as the one on the original visa doesn't work for in-country extensions). He'd then be leaving on a current extension of stay, which would still be kept 'alive' by the re-entry permit, so when he came back he'd get the remainder of the 90 days as the "permission to stay until" stamp

I still think exiting the country the last day of his extension, and re-entering on the still valid multi-entry ED visa would get another 90 days, but. .. Things don't always work out as we think they should here.

A lot of people with a multiple entry visa get an extension of stay, as they don't want to leave at that moment. It is never a problem re-entering again after an extension of stay, as long as the visa is valid.

The example of this is of course the double entry tourist visa, which gets extended all the time before a new entry is being made.

On July 22nd 2010 you received a Non Imm Visa giving unlimited entries up until July 21st 2011. This means you can come and go and receive 90 days on every entry up until July 21st.

I do not understand why you visited Immigration in November to apply for extensions and Re Entry Permits when you already had Visa entries that would have taken you up to the middle of October 2011.

Admittedly Ed Visas and extensions are not my strong point.

You now seem to be applying for 90 day extensions at 1,900 Baht a time .

HI, i think he made mistake by following the schools way for extensions , i have the same visa , but lucky for me the mods of this forum warned me not to go for extensions because it would change me to extensions.....

even the schools are not much aware that in a 1 year multiple visa no re entry's and no extensions are needed as long doing border runs , , they even asked me a 90 days report for address , not being at knowledge that i only am 89 days in the Country because the border runs....so no need for that.....

The shool(s) should at least put somebody at the desk who is aware of those 1 year ED visa multiple entry, and NOT ONLY TO COLLECT BATH ,;) and not only to their 3 months Non O ED (nabouring consulates )to become the extensions by immigration..

By this way thank Thai Visa mods to gave me the good advise , witch with no hassle gave me a total 15 months in Thailand :D

Edited by david555

The extension of course has the benefit that one does not need to do any border runs and the tie and money involved with that. Sometimes it is a good option, sometimes not.

Yep. Then he only needed a single entry not a Multi Entry and save money. ;)

The extension of course has the benefit that one does not need to do any border runs and the tie and money involved with that. Sometimes it is a good option, sometimes not.

2000 for a border run full serviced at the border and a free dinner against 1900 for immigration and NO DINNER :D !!

And shopping cigarettes / ...... at no man s land ;)

Even a feel that day as a real tourist.....;:D

You all have inspired me to go for it. I am going to return and attempt to use what should be a valid visa, whats the worst that could happen? They ignore it and give me a 30 day tourist visa? If that were to happen I would imagine my language school could give me paperwork to get things correct at immigration right? I hope so. I shall report back in about two weeks time, hopefull with good news :)

No they could not as you would need a non immigrant visa entry to extend your stay. I have seen reports that immigration recently considers an extended visa, even if multi entry, as used so believe you are indeed taking a bit of a chance.

No they could not as you would need a non immigrant visa entry to extend your stay. I have seen reports that immigration recently considers an extended visa, even if multi entry, as used so believe you are indeed taking a bit of a chance.

Keep in mind I know nothing about how this stuff works. So what it seems is the day that I went in and extended my visa, on November 5th, I basically converted my multiple-entry Visa into a single entry visa that would require paying $1900 baht every 90 days to continue extending as well as a $1000 baht fee to get a re-entry permit if I ever want to leave and come back in?

You converted to extension of stay. Normally that is for one year but language schools are set at 90 days each so not as advantageous but does avoid the need for border runs. It is kind of a unique system and rather new.

My concern is you have talked with immigration and they have tried to be helpful and outlined there path. I would try to follow that path if I could.

To “lopburi3” and the O/P too;

I totally concur, I too have seen first hand students who entered on a one year multi entry non-Immigrant Type ED visa and got a 90 day in-country extension NOT be able to use the original visa again when they re-enter the kingdom after their current extension expired.

EXCEPT in every case I've seen, (as in with my own eyes) the original visa was marked thru with a pen and stamped "USED" on the visa itself. The O/P says their visa is unmarked; making me think it probably would work trying to re-enter on the original visa which is still valid as it’s in pristine condition and IF he writes the original visa number down on his arrival card.

You're right in pointing out the O/P is way off base in thinking if he sails back in on a 30 day "visa exempt stamp" that he'll get it sorted out at immigrations easily. Seeing as he held an ED visa before, they MIGHT (as in maybe, or maybe NOT) do the “two step process”; where they convert the 30 day visa exempt stamp to a single entry non-immigrant visa, and then give him a 90 day extension when that winds down, but my experience is only with foreigners at Changwattana and NOT with foreigners using the Chiang Mai Immigrations Office.

I still think the safest way for the O/P to avoid hassles is to get the paperwork from his school and secure another 90 day extension at immigrations (buying a re-entry permit too!) BEFORE leaving. This is fool proof, and sure fire it will work insofar as giving him the remaining days left on the current extension of stay.

The other way, even though I think will work just fine, might NOT and the O/P would be in much worse shape than they are now.

Yeah after lopburi3's last post I decided to play it safe. I am going to my school today and they are going to start the process of getting my paperwork for me. Probably go back to immigration on Monday and get an extension as well as a re-entry stamp. Thanks for the advice all, I appreciate it.

Just got back from the school. So back in November they forgot I had a multiple entry visa and thats why they sent me down the immigration route of extending my stay. Not really their fault, I should have double checked and been on top of the details myself. Also, they said that in November immigration should have said something to me when I showed up trying to get an extension on a 1 year multiple entry which they didn't.

The bad news is they said it typically takes 2 weeks to get the paperwork from the government, my visa expires on the 9th which is the same day as our trip to singapore. They said they will try and get it rushed through but I have my doubts that they can get it that quick. They told me that if they don't get it to me by the 9th I will have to pay 500 baht a day for overstaying my visa which scares the piss out of me. Also I will have to cancel my trip to singapore.

The good news is that once I get my paperwork I will get a 6 month extension from immigration and won't have to worry about visa runs or anything.

Immigration is used to people extending on multi entry visas so it would not have caused an alarm there (you had the paperwork). Are you saying education extension of stay will be in six month blocks now?

I am just repeating what they told me. They said I would get a six month extension after they get me my paperwork. They also said that if I had left and tried to do a 90 day visa run on my current extension that I wouldn't have been able to use my 1 year multi-entry coming back in because it would have been invalid.

Got another update. Went to school tonight and was told that my paperwork probably won't be ready by the 9th, when my extension expires and my flight to Singapore leaves. My teacher said I can go to Singapore and come back in to Thailand on a 90 day tourist visa, when I get back my paperwork should be ready and I can make a run to Laos with my paperwork and get a new education visa.

Before taking her word for it I just wanted to double check and make sure this sounds legit. My other option is attempting to cancel my Singapore trip, quite certain that getting a refund from Air Asia won't be possible, who know maybe it would be possible. If I do that I will have an overstay penalty until my paperwork comes in of 500 baht a day and I suppose the risk of being arrested and deported if caught on an overstay? What to do...

Edited by TrippRitter