ลืมมันซะ

aitch

Hello,

A few weeks ago, A waiter came to our table with the check and an apology for the wait. We weren't really pressed but it did take a long time for the food to come out. In my head I'm saying 'Forget about it'. If I saw my accompanying hand gesture on the subway back home, I would think that person just said 'Forget about it'. Out came ไม่เป็นไร. Always ไม่เป็นไร.

Today, Thai Reference Grammer (Higbie & Thinsan, 2002, chapter 15, page 318) ปัณหานั้นเป็นสิ่งที่ผ่านไปแล้ว ลืมมันซะ. Could i have said ลืมมันซะครับ as opposed to ไม่เป็นไร ? Would I be opening the door for a ลืมซะแลัว ?

aitch

I think ลืมมันซะ means "forget about it" in the sense of "let it go" or "don't dwell on the past".

For the situation you describe, ไม่เป็นไร is probably the best response--"forget about it" in the sense of "no worries", or "it's ok".

I agree with Peppy, but just to add that using ซะ if you're unsure is a bit dangerous IMO, it can make a sentence sound angry or bitter. ช่างมันเถอะ is a safer alternative to ลืมมันซะ to say "let it go", in my experience it's also a lot more commonly used too.

I think ไม่เป็นไรหรอก or ไม่เป็นไรเ็ล็ย could have worked to strengthen the so overused ไม่เป็นไร

alternatively, maybe เรื่องเล็ก --(it's) a small thing. To my (non native) ear ชั่งมัน has a harsh undertone in the sense of "screw it"

As much as I am loathe to use the expression ไม่เป็นไร there are times when it’s the best ‘catch all’ going out there both in terms of politeness and in that it’s universally understood by everyone as, “It’s okay”, “Don’t worry about it”, "Never mind", etc.

I totally concur with “Peppy” and “mike-l” using ซะ (which is the colloquial shortening of the word เสีย) is quite dismissive with a negative connotation.

I have heard ช่างเถอะ being used as a short but curt substitute for ไม่เป็นไร, but usually amongst peers rather than a patron to service staff.

I am not near the language pundit of the other posters as far as adding หรอก, เล็ย <sic> (which I think could be just variant in pronunciation and spelling of เลย, but I dunno) at the end. Although I have heard both หรอก and เลย used with the phrase. I have also heard people say; ไม่เป็นไร มันเรื่องเล็ก ๆ as in "It's alright, it's a small matter". In fact I've heard that many times in many different situations.

Like I said, I try to avoid using ไม่เป็นไร here as much as I can, but sometimes it's the best short, simple answer to give without comin' across as either overly condescending, snarky, or dissmissive, especially if your spoken thai clarity isn't quite up to par.

You gotta admit as much as it's used here; if it didn't 'fit' anymore the thais woulda axed it outta colloquial speech already. :D

With ไม่เป็นไร, the reaction from the waiter was good enough for sure. He was more genuinely concerned then we were actually. Not a few words in an attempt to get a better tip kind of thing. I was caught off guard with the apology and wanted to recipricate that in some small way.

Clarity can be a problem. When I am on the spot, there are a few sounds that I have trouble with. Consequently, If the syllable is long, I pronounce it short. เพื่อน becomes a short 'พ่วน' for example. I hesitate and then try to ram it thru.

Keeping that in mind, ไม่เป็นไร มันเรื่องเล็ก ๆ would be perfect. Kill two birds with one stone. I'm thinking hold off -> hear it being used a few times -> give it a go.

Grammer ? still a beginner there too. (e.g. ผมทำงานในครัวมาหลายปีแล้ว ไม่อยากทำให้คนครัวโกรธ )

All of this has been really helpful and it's sinking in. Much appreciated !

aitch

(confession: I have neglected the word เสีย because of the song อารมณ์เสีย. When I read/hear that word, I'm like a propeller plane hitting a bad patch of turbulence. Conversely, the word พิพิธภัณฑ์ ...)

I would not recommend you to say ลืมมันซะ because in your situation, this ลืมมันซะ will turn out to be a bit rude.

You better say ไม่เป็นไร. It sounds more polite.

If you want to use ลืมมันซะ, you better use it with your friend.

In Thailand, I think people use ลืมมันซะ when we have problems or in troubles.

Then we don't want to take it, we can just say 'forget it' or ลืมมันซะ