Renewed Five Year Dl

Lancelot

I just renewed my five year DL in Chiang Mai and it was an interesting process.

I got my Residence Certificate from CM Immigration, 500 baht.

Medical Certificate from McCormick Hospital. They actually checked my blood pressure, the Doc listened to my heart and asked me a few health related questions. 50 baht :)

I made the necessary copies of my passport and the health/residence certificates. 50 satang per copy :)

I arrived at the Lanf Transportation office at 11:40 AM, which was not good because I had to wait for the next class at 1 PM :(

At 1 PM sharp, they herded us (about 25 renewal applicants) into a room for color blindness: depth perception and braking reaction tests. We all passed :D

Then the Thai applicants attended a driving lecture and foreigners viewed an english language driving/law "refresher" video. The video made a point of motorbikes must stay in the left lane, unless it is blocked. Yeah, the cops have reminded me of that little detail before :D

After the video, we duly paid up. Total damage, for both auto and motorcycle licenses was B 1,060, which included two digital photos. At 1:55 PM, I was the proud owner of two spanking new DL's, valid both in Thailand and the nine other ASEAN countries.

By the way, dressing for success is way over rated. I showed up in my favorite Chang Beer singlet, cargo shorts, bare footed and generally ungroomed. The Thai officers all complimented me on my (unkept) appearance and several commented that they were sick and tired of farangs attired in long pants and dress shirts, not to mentioned shoes with socks. I agreed and told them, "This is the way I dress back home and no body is going to tell me how to dress here."

Rock On! :D

Your last para !!!.

Well, l must add that when l go anywhere to do with official stuff my mrs is told, '' your husband different to most farangs, they usually dirty and smelly, he OK and gentleman '' :D.

Sooooooooooooo, perhaps you misunderstood their comments. :lol:

Renewed mine here in the boonies at Sawang Daen Din the day after it expired (birthday),only had to watch a video and do a color blindness test(no medical) .They are optimists as they gave me 6 years ,now all I gotta do is get my monies worth and live till I am 78.

Your last para !!!.

Well, l must add that when l go anywhere to do with official stuff my mrs is told, '' your husband different to most farangs, they usually dirty and smelly, he OK and gentleman '' :D.

It's a joke son; you are way too serious today :D

Edited by Lancelot

Your last para !!!.

My apologies, didn't see it. :)

Less of the son, l could be older than you. :lol:

Your last para !!!.

My apologies, didn't see it. :)

Less of the son, l could be older than you. :lol:

No worries, perhaps my attempt at satire was unclear :)

You are older than me? Thank god! I thought I was the only ancient one here :D