Naked Pattaya Brit Comes Back From Hell

webfact

"For Richard Hewitt is not a Pattaya Brit who has squandered all his cash on booze, women, and drugs… Well, at least not yet."

Well Mr. Drummond, you have lost a few friends here in Pattaya with this paragraph above.

The vast majority of PATTAYA BRITS do not squander all of their cash on booze, women an drugs....

... and you have also insulted Mr. Hewitt with this little line...

Well, at least not yet.

And you are supposed to be a reporter, or an opinionated columnist?

Cheers to the Good Brits in Pattaya. I did not say all Pattaya Brits squandered their cash on women, drugs and booze. Tracy is a 'Pattaya Brit'.

. I am slightly concerned because Richard does not have a court date until Feb 28 so I hope he sticks to the straight and narrow. I believe he will, This is not a newspaper story btw.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I understand that the UK Government, Australian Government, - and the USA Government - may indeed have their protocols to follow with reference to how they can assist their own people here in times of need. Particularly, - as someone already posted above, - if they are not known.

However, it IS the responsibility of the Governments of our respective countries to make a stand and be strong with the Thai's if they are being cruel or abusive.

This can and should be made a media piece of material in their country's to deal with. It is absolutely disgraceful that a private citizen had to do this.

People on this site should start bombarding these 'servants of the people' (because that is who they are), - and tell them that there are due processes for dealing with them.

The passports alone - in all three countries mentioned above - provide a warranty of safe passage and protection. If someone breaks the law, - then of course they have to be subject to the 'laws of the land'. But if the Thai Government / Police are acting improperly, - then these Governments - must - under their own law - step in and act.

Failure to do so, - is failure of that Government and it's servants.

I see this as a good news, bad news story, good that a kind sole, such as Tracy stepped in to save him, and bad news that no one else did, (I include myself as not helping) OK This is the first I’ve read about this story, but I know me. Unless this was in my face......I would just think it to be very sad and just assume someone else will take care of it. But let’s face it does anyone really think the Embassies will do anything? I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again Embassies are there purely a shop front to sell their countries hardware; arms, drugs anything you want.....they will sell, if the price is right. Citizens........the only time they get all blurry eyed is when it may cost votes near an election.

Bottom line hats off to Tracy, you are one of a kind.

"For Richard Hewitt is not a Pattaya Brit who has squandered all his cash on booze, women, and drugs… Well, at least not yet."

Well Mr. Drummond, you have lost a few friends here in Pattaya with this paragraph above.

The vast majority of PATTAYA BRITS do not squander all of their cash on booze, women an drugs....

... and you have also insulted Mr. Hewitt with this little line...

Well, at least not yet.

And you are supposed to be a reporter, or an opinionated columnist?

Cheers to the Good Brits in Pattaya. I did not say all Pattaya Brits squandered their cash on women, drugs and booze. Tracy is a 'Pattaya Brit'.

. I am slightly concerned because Richard does not have a court date until Feb 28 so I hope he sticks to the straight and narrow. I believe he will, This is not a newspaper story btw.

Thanks for some uplifting news ,I remember the initial report of this unfortunate fellow and it was sad to say the least.

I suppose the British Embassy are fed up of trying to help people suffering self-inflicted problems via drugs and alcohol. I don't really blame them. They wouldn't have time to do anything else if they helped every down and out Brit in Thailand. It's time that people learnt to take responsibility for their own actions and not expect the Embassy and taxpayer to help them out.

It's not just the British Embassy. Even in the UK, down and outs on the street don't get any help. They are left to fend for themselves. There just isn't enough cash to pay to help the vast amount of alcoholics and dug addicts in the UK, and probably also in other countries.

Where were family and friends? Shouldn't they be the first line of help? It's easy for people to criticise the British Embassy, but I don't see many stepping forward to offer to help these people. If you think this is so tragic, then why not volunteer your services to help out? Many on here have plenty of time on their hands. Maybe that time would be better spent offering some actual help to people instead of sitting in front of your PCs criticising everyone else.

Edited by w11guy

interesting twist to the story...

glad he is on his feet again

Happy to see him recover! However what the HE-LL is wrong with the British embassy? If he would have been Lord***** they would tripped over one another wanting to be there first.

How about raising a little hell with them.

The British Embassy had seemingly written him off as either a 'feckless' Brit or perhaps as one Embassy employee apparently described him, unofficially and not without cause - 'a nutter'.

If this is true it's an utter disgrace, nobody, especially FCO employees should write anybody off, feckless or not, and for an employee to apparently describe the poor chap as "a nutter" beggars belief.

Mind you the police should also be ashamed for allowing this poor man to live in such a state.

Well done to Tracy, you are indeed a good samaritan.

I wish Mr Heweitt all the best for the future, you are certainly an example of how quickly things can go wrong.

I think I should make it clear again that the expression 'nutter/' was only used by an Embassy employee in a bar and he had nothing to do with this case. This is certainly not the official line of the British Embassy. I included it because that appears to be at least some of the gossip in Wireless Road. And Richard had indeed lost his faculties.

hmm servants of the people ?

Outside of the embassey proper in BKK most are unpaid volunteers including the Honary Consulates and there assitants.

These volunteers give up there time and assist all kinds of folk for nothing more than a few thanks, unfourtunatly most like yourself have an attitude of thankless expectation and treat them like servants, based on an ignorant assumption that they are well paid and there to hold hands.

Furthermore there are protocols in place in Thailand for mental health issues or any other non criminal issue that may arise for that matter, protocols that are a condition of being allowed to step in and assist.

Just stating as it is , its far from perfect as this case clearly demonstrates but cmon Servants of the people sounds like some expectations are just a tad high !

It's not just the British Embassy. Even in the UK, down and outs on the street don't get any help. They are left to fend for themselves. There just isn't enough cash to pay to help the vast amount of alcoholics and dug addicts in the UK, and probably also in other countries.

Yep because billions of pounds squandered on a national health scheme that doesn't work. But never fear Obama wants the same thing. Oy Vey.

Happy to see him recover! However what the HE-LL is wrong with the British embassy? If he would have been Lord***** they would tripped over one another wanting to be there first.

As mentioned by Tonto21, their only concern is to ultimately make money, not care for unfortunate citizens who fall on hard times or health problems. That's more like an insurance company.

They will sell you a passport or birth cert, apart from that there is advice and not much else.

Really, you are on your own.

I think that the American counterpart cares more but don't American citizens have to pay tax in the U.S. even when they work overseas?

Confirmation please.

Not true, - not enough cash. Are you kidding?

Look at the defense budgets.

I understand your point though. If people choose to take drugs and become alcoholics., then it is their own choice.

My point was that if their is blatant cruelty (as there was in this case), - it is in breach of international law, - and our Governments have an obligation to step in and apply pressure.

That is the law. If they do not, then it is a breach. They should be held accountable.

I suppose the British Embassy are fed up of trying to help people suffering self-inflicted problems via drugs and alcohol. I don't really blame them. They wouldn't have time to do anything else if they helped every down and out Brit in Thailand. It's time that people learnt to take responsibility for their own actions and not expect the Embassy and taxpayer to help them out.

Where were family and friends? Shouldn't they be the first line of help? It's easy for people to criticise the British Embassy, but I don't see many stepping forward to offer to help these people. If you think this is so tragic, then why not volunteer your services to help out? Many on here have plenty of time on their hands. Maybe that time would be better spent offering some actual help to people instead of sitting in front of your PCs criticising everyone else.

Good points. He appears to have blown out all his 'friends' which is one of the points HE made.' 12 years in Pattaya and no friends. Should I be here?' He has no family apart from his elderly mum.

The Embassy's 'Know before you go' campaign probably needs a little boost. perhaps

As for the Embassy's actions. Well all it took was one visit from Tracy to point out that this man should not be held in a prison cell in this condition. In the UK he would have been moved to a psychiatric hospital much sooner if he was in that condition in a police cell and would have had a doctor visit him.

As mentioned by Tonto21, their only concern is to ultimately make money, not care for unfortunate citizens who fall on hard times or health problems. That's more like an insurance company.

They will sell you a passport or birth cert, apart from that there is advice and not much else.

Really, you are on your own.

I think that the American counterpart cares more but don't American citizens have to pay tax in the U.S. even when they work overseas?

Confirmation please.

Yes they do!

Tracy is a real angel of mercy. Here is her website for those who want to know more about her work and maybe donate http://www.mccf.uk.com/who_we_are/index.html .

As for the British Embassy, they have cultivated a truly hard attitude towards British nationals in need, partly of course due to government spending cuts. Granted, many of the needy are indeed feckless, as they like to term them. However, for leaving a British national to die naked chained to the bars in a police cell, some one's head should roll. If he had died this would have been tantamount to manslaughter which is a criminal offence. The British Embassy now makes extensive use of very low paid locally engaged British and Thai staff to look after the interests of British citizens here with minimal supervision from accredited London trained FCO consular staff, whereas American embassies, for example, still use mainly accredited trained diplomats for all supervisory consular jobs. I would think the system of honorary consuls in the tourist resorts should be urgently reviewed. Every now and again stories crop up that reflect indifferently on British diplomatic representation in places like Phuket, Koh Samui and Pattaya.

As I constantly tell newbie Brits, in Thailand you are on your own, never look to the Embassy for help, unless you are of VIP status, then they will crawl all over you.

Actually, this is not true. Most embassies will help you out for certain reasons, such as Medical.

Last year around August of 2009, I had a very aggressive form of cancer called Hodgkin’s Lymphoma which switched from Non-Hodgkin’s to Hodgkin’s. A Catholic friend of mine in the U.S. contacted her congress representative to then contacted the U.S. Embassy in Thailand. I was instructed me to go there ASAP.

I went to them. I had been on over stay for like 3 years and had lost a lot of weight. They paid for my overstay fine and my plane ticket and voided out my current passport. They got everything cleared up with Thai immigration officials. Within 2 days, I was headed back to my hometown where I underwent 9 months of chemo / radiation.

In conclusion. If the situation is a life threating medical condition. They will help you. Once you arrive back home, your passport has been voided out or holes punched through it. All the money you barrowed has to be paid back in full before you can reapply for a new passport. My new one came back with a 10 year valid period.

One of their citizens was left rotting in a cell and they never stopped in to check on how he was doing? Sorry I don't agree. Disgracefull.

Not true, - not enough cash. Are you kidding?

Look at the defense budgets.

I understand your point though. If people choose to take drugs and become alcoholics., then it is their own choice.

My point was that if their is blatant cruelty (as there was in this case), - it is in breach of international law, - and our Governments have an obligation to step in and apply pressure.

That is the law. If they do not, then it is a breach. They should be held accountable.

I agree with what you say, but all governements break international law when it suits them. Tony Blair once famously said that it's ok to bribe a company if it mean the UK gets jobs out of it. It is illegal in the UK, buy Blair and the then Labour government thought it was ok.

The other thing is that there really isn't enough time and money to check on every little thing. We'd all be living in poverty if money was spent on the millions of addicts, alcoholics, etc. I would rather my tax be spent on more worthwhile causes. People know what drugs do. If they choose to still take them I don't think it's the taxpayer's job to pick up the tab.

Maybe the Embassy should have applied more pressure in this case, but we just don't know how many similar cases there are. It's easy for people to criticise but if you have to see this bahavior every day you would soon get sick of it. Try working on the front line and see how loing you last.

As already mentioned, you are all free to volunteer to help. But no takers yet. Much easier to sit at home and criticise.

Went down that same road in 2000/2001. Was living in Moo 9 in the infamous 'luen thai' without electricity, together with plenty of gangsters. Thinking meself untouchable and one of them (this after a dozen years in the country, I might have known better, and at one time I did) I ended up bounced out of the country, disembarking in a cold rage at Newark International with no luggage and only beach clothes on in the middle of December, to find it activly patrolled by armed marines.

Got myself back to the LOS but quick and spent the next several years upcountry...putting things back into perspective...it was a wild and bloody dangerous ride and I'm lucky to have survived it.

Good luck to you Richard! It's a long road back...

What happened exactly?? You were in a cell with gangsters and then one of them........... next thing you are in Newark? Armed Marines? You got me sucked into your story here mate please fill in the blanks for us

My last comment. I have seen Thais in this state lying on the pavement. Even though 100s of Thais and farangs walk past, not a single person stops to help. Ok, the ones I've seen haven't been chained up, but they obviously need help. So why aren't you lot out there helping them? You could do a lot to help. So why are you criticising others when you can't be bothered to help yourself?

One of their citizens was left rotting in a cell and they never stopped in to check on how he was doing? Sorry I don't agree. Disgracefull.

This is the reality. I certainly don't feel like my insurance is the Britsh Consulate / Embassy.

And I hope he repays Tracey in full and then some.

I`m very sure his recovery and regaining his senses is repayment in full for Tracy and all good and kind people who helped him.. But why is there always some as##le who always thinks about moneys..??? Thats what caused his downfall in the first instance... be ashamed of yourself..!!!!

I don't understand why he lost it in the first place. People don't usually lose it like that unless they had some serious drugs. Maybe someone slipped something in his drink. Sounds like he was tripping on psychedelics.

:blink:

Hope you don't ever suffer a breakdown in your life :thumbsup:

Good luck!

And keep away from ANY drugs FOREVER, drug peddlers, drug scenes, drug users.... it's not pattaya, it's not the scene there, it's the 'designer drugs' meth's in particular which mess up peoples brains - that's why it's called "Yaa Baa"!

I don't understand why he lost it in the first place. People don't usually lose it like that unless they had some serious drugs. Maybe someone slipped something in his drink. Sounds like he was tripping on psychedelics.

:blink:

Hope you don't ever suffer a breakdown in your life :thumbsup:

Actually I have. That's why I know that the most important thing necessary to heal is a good safe environment and good nutrition, both of which he was deprived of. I didn't mean to make it sound unsympathetic, just curious. NO one deserves this kind of treatment, it is ridiculous. I hope those police get reprimanded. He ought to press charges against them.