Big Bike Volunteer Highway Police--Is There Such A Thing?

submaniac

RusticCharm,

From the distance of a stranger, seems to me that you have a thing about rules, regs, and police. OK with me.

But even here, there is good to be done by police and those who help. Never mind motives and all that. Take the point.

As you point out, we're all bikers here.:)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One day you just might need scraping off the road by a friendly face. :)

Still can't quite believe one biker would say something like that to another biker. :annoyed:

But whatever floats your boat.

Or perhaps just feel happy your Ducati is taken care of while you are in the Ambulance, by a Highwaypolice Volunteer you have met before at a bike gathering, rather than thrown in the back of a pickup and stacked in the impound :rolleyes:

"Need scraping off the road"?

"While you are in the ambulance"?

<deleted>!?

Wow! Got to say I'm honestly shocked. And a 'moderator' at that. Saying things like that to another biker is tantamount to either wishing an accident on someone or at the very least, tempting fate.

To both of you. fuc_k you very much!

Some of us are strong enough in thought and reality to face the facts that many bikers have accidents and need help. If you cannot understand biking reality and want to hide away with the '' it won't happen to us on the forum '' then you should ride something with pedals. :rolleyes:

Lastly, l thought only cars had Dip Sticks.

Still can't quite believe one biker would say something like that to another biker. :annoyed:

But whatever floats your boat.

Or perhaps just feel happy your Ducati is taken care of while you are in the Ambulance, by a Highwaypolice Volunteer you have met before at a bike gathering, rather than thrown in the back of a pickup and stacked in the impound :rolleyes:

"Need scraping off the road"?

"While you are in the ambulance"?

<deleted>!?

Wow! Got to say I'm honestly shocked. And a 'moderator' at that. Saying things like that to another biker is tantamount to either wishing an accident on someone or at the very least, tempting fate.

To both of you. fuc_k you very much!

Some of us are strong enough in thought and reality to face the facts that many bikers have accidents and need help. If you cannot understand biking reality and want to hide away with the '' it won't happen to us on the forum '' then you should ride something with pedals. :rolleyes:

Lastly, l thought only cars had Dip Sticks.

Well said.

Accidents happen.

It's not IF you're going to crash, it's WHEN you're going to crash.

When that day happens you may certainly find yourself wishing for a Highway Volunteer to watch over you.

Keep her shiny side up!

T

Well said.

Accidents happen.

It's not IF you're going to crash, it's WHEN you're going to crash.

When that day happens you may certainly find yourself wishing for a Highway Volunteer to watch over you.

Keep her shiny side up!

T

+1 You have got it right there, ride to live.

There is also a "Volunteer Radio Ham Highway Police" for those that don't have big bikes.

<deleted> me! Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse.

What next?

A 'Volunteer Personality-Deficient, Need To get a Life. Highway Police'?

Oops! My bad! That's already been covered by the guys in Phuket.

"Respect My Authority".

The one thing I can't understand about these various Volunteer Police organisations is, if what their members say is true, why are they attached to the police at all. If those in the Big Bike Volunteers (and whoever dreamt up that name has a lot to answer for!) genuinely joined to help at accidents, render medical assistance, etc, then why aren't they part of the many rescue organisations, such as Sawingboriboon, instead? Similarly why aren't the Tourist Police Volunteers part of the TAT, etc, etc?

This would invalidate all the accusations of people only doing it for the uniform/ego boost/badges, etc, in one go; on the other hand, the cynics would say that no-one would volunteer without the uniform/ego boost/badges, etc. Without trying it, who knows (except I haven't noticed many farang volunteers with Sawangboriboon, etc)

2 day paramedic course, load your bike up everyday with oxygen cylinder, first aid stuff, morphine injections,heart shock machine, seems to be a bit off a work to ride without a helmet and speed, but you do get a pretty card and badge,,WOW,

Oh dear, TIT.

The one thing I can't understand about these various Volunteer Police organisations is, if what their members say is true, why are they attached to the police at all. If those in the Big Bike Volunteers (and whoever dreamt up that name has a lot to answer for!) genuinely joined to help at accidents, render medical assistance, etc, then why aren't they part of the many rescue organisations, such as Sawingboriboon, instead? Similarly why aren't the Tourist Police Volunteers part of the TAT, etc, etc?

This would invalidate all the accusations of people only doing it for the uniform/ego boost/badges, etc, in one go; on the other hand, the cynics would say that no-one would volunteer without the uniform/ego boost/badges, etc. Without trying it, who knows (except I haven't noticed many farang volunteers with Sawangboriboon, etc)

We have all read about farangs being drawn into something by the money grabbing type when a farang tries to help, so being attached to the police is a great idea for a helpers security.

2 day paramedic course, load your bike up everyday with oxygen cylinder, first aid stuff, morphine injections,heart shock machine, seems to be a bit off a work to ride without a helmet and speed, but you do get a pretty card and badge,,WOW,

Oh dear, TIT.

You really should post when sober. :rolleyes:

I would certainly be happy if I knew someone had shown up to help as a mediator / support at an accident scene. And to reflect on what transam said, I definitely wouldn't want my precious Ducati carted off and to be unceremoniously dumped in some impound lot.

I would certainly be happy if I knew someone had shown up to help as a mediator / support at an accident scene. And to reflect on what transam said, I definitely wouldn't want my precious Ducati carted off and to be unceremoniously dumped in some impound lot.

AND DISAPPEAR. :huh:

quote transam

One day you just might need scraping off the road by a friendly face.

end quote

You don't know what you are talking about. It will be Rescue getting their hands dirty.

Cops may help with traffic control.

quote transam

end quote

You don't know what you are talking about. It will be Rescue getting their hands dirty.

Think you must read all the posts from those here who ARE volunteer cops. :rolleyes:

Correct, snarky66. You don't need to read any posts here to see at first hand what actually happens at an accident site - you just need to see any accident. The police often (usually?) arrive after the Rescue services, and despite seeing countless accidents (like most people here) I have yet to see any police in Thailand ever administering first aid at a traffic accident. This may be just as well given the minimal first aid training that both the regular and the volunteer police receive, but it makes it all the more strange why anyone with genuine training as a medic would feel that his skills were better used directing traffic than administering first aid.

Correct, snarky66. You don't need to read any posts here to see at first hand what actually happens at an accident site - you just need to see any accident. The police often (usually?) arrive after the Rescue services, and despite seeing countless accidents (like most people here) I have yet to see any police in Thailand ever administering first aid at a traffic accident. This may be just as well given the minimal first aid training that both the regular and the volunteer police receive, but it makes it all the more strange why anyone with genuine training as a medic would feel that his skills were better used directing traffic than administering first aid.

among the Big Bike Highwaypolice Volunteers class 5 graduates, there are medical doctors :)

among the Big Bike Highwaypolice Volunteers class 5 graduates, there are medical doctors :)

Even more curious, then, why they chose to volunteer for the Highway Police where they would be used primarily as "police" volunteers/assistants on the public road instead of one of the many Rescue organisations where they would be used as medics in any situation requiring medical expertise. Sorry, KBB, but this simply "makes it all the more strange why anyone with genuine training as a medic would feel that his skills were better used directing traffic than administering first aid."

Even more curious, then, why they chose to volunteer for the Highway Police where they would be used primarily as "police" volunteers/assistants on the public road instead of one of the many Rescue organisations where they would be used as medics in any situation requiring medical expertise. Sorry, KBB, but this simply "makes it all the more strange why anyone with genuine training as a medic would feel that his skills were better used directing traffic than administering first aid."

being a Big Bike Highwaypolice Volunteer protects you from accusations made when assisting at accident scene, and no need for medical work permit. Rescue organisations volunteers do need WP.

a Big Bike Highwaypolice volunteers whenever he/she wants, while most other volunteer organisations are on a schedule.

and we live to ride :)

being a Big Bike Highwaypolice Volunteer protects you from accusations made when assisting at accident scene, and no need for medical work permit. Rescue organisations volunteers do need WP.

a Big Bike Highwaypolice volunteers whenever he/she wants, while most other volunteer organisations are on a schedule.

and we live to ride :)

Thanks for that insight KBB B)

So a friendy face scraping your face off the road makes you feel better does it?, i very much doubt this, and laying in the road with a broken femur,wrist and severe abdominal pains, and youve worried where your bike is gonna go? [been there,done that] i couldnt give a shit where the bike is going, they are going to take the bike to the police pound, throw it on the heap with the other wrecks,

They will check the bike for tax insurance ownership ect, if it doesnt match up, you have lost the bike,

So can the Falang HWP overide these decisions? i think not,

So a friendy face scraping your face off the road makes you feel better does it?, i very much doubt this, and laying in the road with a broken femur,wrist and severe abdominal pains, and youve worried where your bike is gonna go? [been there,done that] i couldnt give a shit where the bike is going, they are going to take the bike to the police pound, throw it on the heap with the other wrecks,

They will check the bike for tax insurance ownership ect, if it doesnt match up, you have lost the bike,

So can the Falang HWP overide these decisions? i think not,

And your the one on previous topics said it's OK to drive on the wrong side of the road :rolleyes:, drive as Thais do, which you do and are now knocking guys who perhaps might deal with you after an altercation cos your daft. :huh:

As usual, the point of the post escapes you, you only see what you want to see, do you have short attention span problems or something??

If you dont understand my posts, let me spell it out for you, It seems some of these card holders can ride in walking street without a helmet, and the local cops dont like this, and are thinking of stopping HWP, rightly so in there case, but other dedicated blokes should be allowed to continue,,,

Also i havent seen for a long time, [dont worry TA will be along soon} so your forum cred is low, ive never had forum cred to lose, so no problem!!

Sleep well, I will...

As usual, the point of the post escapes you, you only see what you want to see, do you have short attention span problems or something??

If you dont understand my posts, let me spell it out for you, It seems some of these card holders can ride in walking street without a helmet, and the local cops dont like this, and are thinking of stopping HWP, rightly so in there case, but other dedicated blokes should be allowed to continue,,,

Also i havent seen for a long time, [dont worry TA will be along soon} so your forum cred is low, ive never had forum cred to lose, so no problem!!

Sleep well, I will...

Think your right cos l don't understand a word you have written here, or your point. :rolleyes:

The position seems to get clearer with every post.

If you volunteer for a Rescue service they check your experience, training and interest before applying for a work permit for you and you then need to attend regular training sessions and to be readily available to “scrape someone off the road” when requested.

If you volunteer for the police (or at least the Big Bike branch) they make no checks, you only need to sleep through two days of largely irrelevant lectures that some farangs attending can’t understand, you then “graduate” and are given your badges which amongst other things can be used to allow you to drive illegally on the expressway and on pedestrian streets, not wear a helmet, and not pay traffic fines. As there’s no requirement for any further training or even to be available for any duties at all its not difficult to see the attraction for some.

If you volunteer for a Rescue service they check your experience, training and interest before applying for a work permit for you and you then need to attend regular training sessions and to be readily available to "scrape someone off the road" when requested.

If you volunteer for the police (or at least the Big Bike branch) they make no checks, you only need to sleep through two days of largely irrelevant lectures that some farangs attending can't understand, you then "graduate" and are given your badges which amongst other things can be used to allow you to drive illegally on the expressway and on pedestrian streets, not wear a helmet, and not pay traffic fines. As there's no requirement for any further training or even to be available for any duties at all its not difficult to see the attraction for some.

64 million Thai nationals in Thailand is it?

up to 500 of them are Highwaypolice Volunteers, recrutied during a decade. In addition there may be 100 foreigner HWP. And we are allowed to drive faster than speedlimits and on any kind of roads, non HWP must pay fine up to 1.000 baht for these minor offenses.

a total of 600 Volunteers and appox 50.000 payed Police are excepted from speeding tickets. What is your problem?

BTW riding my Ninja 650R HWP bike to Patong the other day to buy a new helmet. Didnt use helmet. Pulled over, showed my Thai DL (not my Police ID card as I felt I was indeed in breach of helmet law), was fined, took DL, went to Patong Policestatin couple of days later to pay fine. Post says fine for no helmet is 500 baht, fine officer asks if its my pickup outside? yes, you Highwaypolice? yes, fine for you only 200 baht.:) Thank you :jap:

If you volunteer for a Rescue service they check your experience, training and interest before applying for a work permit for you and you then need to attend regular training sessions and to be readily available to "scrape someone off the road" when requested.

If you volunteer for the police (or at least the Big Bike branch) they make no checks, you only need to sleep through two days of largely irrelevant lectures that some farangs attending can't understand, you then "graduate" and are given your badges which amongst other things can be used to allow you to drive illegally on the expressway and on pedestrian streets, not wear a helmet, and not pay traffic fines. As there's no requirement for any further training or even to be available for any duties at all its not difficult to see the attraction for some.

I really think your being a wee bit negative about guys trying to help out. WHICH, l don't understand. :unsure:

You know I've been biting my tongue for awhile and actually deleted this script a few days ago, not deciding to post, but........

You know transam, I think the BBVHP should get some stickers made for free issue to posters on this board who aren't interested in being helped out by a friendly face at an accident scene or some other incident where a person perhaps more knowledgeable of the processes may be of assistance.

Day glow sticker stating: NO HELP REQUIRED FROM BBVHP.

It would makes things a lot more convenient for all involved.

Scenario: a BBVHP turns arrives at an accident scene. Assesses the situation and notices that the downed rider on the road with the compound fracture to his leg, bleeding from the nose and mouth, has a day glow NO HELP REQUIRED FROM BBVHP on their helmet.

BBVHP: Oh right, no help required then. No problem, I'll just move off the road, as it is a bit busy at the moment and safety is a concern at this time of day. Mind you, it's a bit warm today as well, so I may as well go and get a cold drink, wait in the shade. I'm sure the police and ambulance should be along anytime now. Best of luck and apologies if I have disturbed you.

Apologies for the sarcasm, but the attitiudes of some posters about volunteers and not even interested in getting some type of assistance from a friendly face is surprising indeed.

I know that in general this will never happen as people will always appreciate help in whatever form is available. The more prompt the better. I'm a qualified EFR Primary/Secondary Care & Care for Children Instructor and taught above all on the Good Samaritan rule. In their own way the BBVHP are being good Samaritans. Yes you may get the odd clown who joins up just to be a poser and do nothing else. That happens everywhere in a lot of volunteer organizations, though eventually they will get weeded out. Am I a BBVHP, no I'm not and I'm not inclined to be one, as that is not my forte. Though, I will help a fallen rider if I can to the best of my ability.

So have a think about it, if you really do get into a situation where this type help could be of assistance. Would you welcome it or prefer to be left to your own devices in the hands of luck? Your call....

• Like 1

You know I've been biting my tongue for awhile and actually deleted this script a few days ago, not deciding to post, but........

You know transam, I think the BBVHP should get some stickers made for free issue to posters on this board who aren't interested in being helped out by a friendly face at an accident scene or some other incident where a person perhaps more knowledgeable of the processes may be of assistance.

Scenario: a BBVHP turns arrives at an accident scene. Assesses the situation and notices that the downed rider on the road with the compound fracture to his leg, bleeding from the nose and mouth, has a day glow NO HELP REQUIRED FROM BBVHP on their helmet.

BBVHP: Oh right, no help required then. No problem, I'll just move off the road, as it is a bit busy at the moment and safety is a concern at this time of day. Mind you, it's a bit warm today as well, so I may as well go and get a cold drink, wait in the shade. I'm sure the police and ambulance should be along anytime now. Best of luck and apologies if I have disturbed you.

Apologies for the sarcasm, but the attitiudes of some posters about volunteers and not even interested in getting some type of assistance from a friendly face is surprising indeed.

I know that in general this will never happen as people will always appreciate help in whatever form is available. The more prompt the better. I'm a qualified EFR Primary/Secondary Care & Care for Children Instructor and taught above all on the Good Samaritan rule. In their own way the BBVHP are being good Samaritans. Yes you may get the odd clown who joins up just to be a poser and do nothing else. That happens everywhere in a lot of volunteer organizations, though eventually they will get weeded out. Am I a BBVHP, no I'm not and I'm not inclined to be one, as that is not my forte. Though, I will help a fallen rider if I can to the best of my ability.

So have a think about it, if you really do get into a situation where this type help could be of assistance. Would you welcome it or prefer to be left to your own devices in the hands of luck? Your call....

Thanks, the word we should have thought of, SAMARITAN. :)

Well said mate! Thank you for being a voice of reason and common sense. Happy Trails! Tony

Yes, lets have an accident scenario, Ive crashed, and lying in the road in a twisted heep of legs and arms ect, the compound leg fracture is obvious, the bleeding from my nose and mouth, although im wearing a full face helmet is also obvious, so whats the first thing you HYPV would do?