Friend Has A New Thai Husband

aletta

A dear friend of mine has recently married a Thai male .I understand its a far easier life than UK male with Thai wife when it comes to visa extension.Or is it?What are the differences for a UK lady with a Thai husband here currently on a three month non immigrant O.What do they have to show immigration?

She's afraid of computers so i will ask the question and pass on the feedback.Thank you.

Aletta, she needs to go to immigration before her non-imm visa expires with 1)her husband and 2) these docs: marriage license, copies of all pages in her passport with Thai visas and the id page, copy of his house registration paper and some kind of proof from him that he can take care of her. We submit photocopies of our joint bank book and business license as well as most recent tax return receipt. Two copies of everything and two photos. 1900 baht for the visa. And in the Imm office they will conduct an interview of her husband and her about their life together. I have heard some imm offices visit the house to ensure that it is a valid marriage but that has never happened to me (but then I have been getting one year visa extensions since 1992). Her husband can call up the Immigration office where they live to double check on that but since I just did it a couple of days ago I think that is all of it. Just make sure she does it before her visa expires!!

And tell your friend congratulations!

sbk,thank you for such a precise and timely answer.I am quite used to getting mauled in the other side of the forum. :o

My friend is as sweet as they come but knows little of what she will have to do being married to a Thai male.I hope i can pick your brain occasionally so that i may smooth her path a little.

sbk,thank you for such a precise and timely answer.I am quite used to getting mauled in the other side of the forum. :o

My friend is as sweet as they come but knows little of what she will have to do being married to a Thai male.I hope i can pick your brain occasionally so that i may smooth her path a little.

and...just a copy of the bank book was not enough, they needed a letter from the bank stating that we had the money. Bank books get forged, it seems!!

good luck

Really? Where are you siamone? We have always just photocopied our bank book, but then, like I said, we have been doing it for years. Did your immigration office say there were income requirements too? Because, if so, then either the rules have changed very recently or they are wrong. As far as I know there are no income requirements for a Thai husband. And the wife certainly does not show income since it is the husband taking care of the wife --the problem farang men run into, the man is the legal head of the family and as such is the one responsible for taking financial care of the family.

I think that must be the problem for siamone & her hubby as she is thai & he is farang so therefore he must show proof of income or financial support for his visa extention. The problem that we had when we were in LOS was we had no house ownership papers or company papers so the immigration said that we wouldn't be able to extend my visa per year. As we moved back to the UK shortly after it wasn't a big problem but for those who's husband doesn't' own land or have a registered business it isn't so easy to get the extension. :o

I think that must be the problem for siamone & her hubby as she is thai & he is farang so therefore he must show proof of income or financial support for his visa extention. The problem that we had when we were in LOS was we had no house ownership papers or company papers so the immigration said that we wouldn't be able to extend my visa per year. As we moved back to the UK shortly after it wasn't a big problem but for those who's husband doesn't' own land or have a registered business it isn't so easy to get the extension. :o

Are you sure this was not the "home register" or censes registration book rather than house ownership? All Thai should be on such a document but it does not require ownership (and may be upcountry with relatives).

If not you must have fallen into the "other documents" category as do not believe house or business ownership is a requirement (it sure is not listed as such on immigration web site).

Never had to provide a bank book or proof of income but husband does have house ownership as well as a business. Both these were shown, whether they were actual requirements I don't know.

Subsequent years never had to show again, only once to get the initial visa.

That was many years ago but I believe the law hasn't changed.

not sure lopburi3, I only know what they lawyer at samui imm told us when I went with my non o visa to ask what we needed for renewal. They def didn't ask for his house papers for the family (tabien baan right?) as he always has a copy of that, but we didn't bother too much about it as we decided to go back to the UK shortly after that.

we've never been asked to show bank records or accounts. but my husband started a small business and paid the 10,000baht registration fee, in part to ensure it looked like he could support me and our kids. in fact, though, i work full time and make far more money than he does. immigration doesn't seem to be concerned. i think applying for a visa extension is one of the only times in thailand when it's easier to be a woman than a man.

As a man the visa extension process is not a problem as i hope it "weeds" out some of the undesirable types.I cannot imagine there are many farang women here who fit that category.Or are there?All the farang women i have met here have been charming and honest.

Edited by aletta

Heh heh. Well, I'll let that one slide since I am charming and honest it must count for something, right :o

Forgot he needs a copy of his id card as well. We did forget it this year and had to copy it at immigration. We submit all copies of all paperwork every year, just makes it easier I think (altho why they need a copy of our marriage license every year I don't know, it's not like it has changed in the past 16 years!).

• 2 months later...

Sorry to drag up an old post BUT-

About this type O visa- does it count towards PR "value" status like some of the other TV members speak of?

Or is that only because an "extension of stay" is for men supporting their Thai wives. Do you know of any western women who have received PR in Thailand?

Another question- do you farang ladies do you’re 90-day reporting? It seems with this O visa its mandatory? is that correct?

I live 3 hours from the immigration office- I know I’m suppose to, but I have only done it once in 3 years :o - to register my car. But then again I travel allot. Thanks for you help

HH

Scouse is right, a foreign women married to a thai national can obtain thai citizenship automatically but no one of us can get a straight answer from any thai officials on how to do it, so if you manage it, pls post back on this site with some tips. :o

Another question- do you farang ladies do you’re 90-day reporting? It seems with this O visa its mandatory? is that correct?

I live 3 hours from the immigration office- I know I’m suppose to, but I have only done it once in 3 years  :o  - to register my car. But then again I travel allot. Thanks for you help

HH

I just renewed my yearly visa the end of Sept. and with all the changes at BKK immigration, if you haven't reported every 90 days, you will get caught and fined. I hadn't reported for 3 years........I thought I had to, but hubby called our friend at BBK immigration, and somehow there was a miscommunication and he said they told him no. Oh well. Anyway, this time 2000 baht fine. Report every 90 days.

We have never been asked to show anything regarding bank accounts or finances.

I agree with SBK, can't figure out why they keep asking for copies of papers that are the same from year to year ,and if you keep showing up at immigration together, are unlikely to change.

Beachbunny

90 day reporting is mandatory for everybody now.

We ladies with Thai husbands are on a "extension of stay on the basis of being supported by a Thai spouse" which only seems to apply to Thai men with foreign wives regardless of the word "spouse" in the title.

Boo, I have a plan! I am going to BKK next May (ish) hopefully with my husband. I am going to the Special Branch Police who do citizenship applications and tell them my tale of woe (ie Surat Special Branch are clueless) and get 1) all necessary forms and paperwork from their office 2) a list of instructions for my provincial SB police and 3) a phone number for the local guys to call when they get lost.

What do you think? Possible?

very possible, I think the only way to get to the bottom of it is sheer perseverance. Samran did post some links regarding it before (I have them at work) & I will pm them to you ask your hubby to translate them as they may be useful too.

I will most likely be around in May too so we could squeeze in a meet up as well :o

I have lived here for many years and only had to start this 90 day reporting

this year. It is now MANDATORY for everyone - if I remember rightly over 10 days over the date you pay a 2000Bt fine.

Thinking seriously about applying for Thai nationality if for no other reason than to not have to remember the reporting every 90 days. I have had to set my phone up to remind me - otherwise I forget!

Would like to hear of anyone's experiences on the nationality issue. I know it takes perseverence and it helps to apply when applications are being accepted/ processed (once every year). Need inside info. to find out when that is.

I will probably take a shot at it next year.

CMsally, that is for PR, applications are usually accepted in Dec. Haven't heard anything about only applying certain times of the year for citizenship. you must apply in the province your husband is registered in. If he is registered in Bkk then you will probably have better luck than I.

Special Branch Police website in Thai

Boo, why don't you post those links here for everybody?

This is what I found:

To qualify to apply for Thai citizenship, the applicant must meet the following criteria:

He or she must be 18 years old or older and also have reached legal majority in his or her country of origin.

He or she must be of good behavior and background. The following will be checked: criminal record; political background; involvement with illegal drugs and, in the case of Vietnamese applicants, personal behavior.

If working in Thailand, he or she must have an income of at least 80,000 baht a month or have paid taxes in the year the citizenship application is made of 100,000 baht or more.

If living in Thailand for “reasons of humanity” such as being marriage with a Thai people or having a Thai-born child or having graduated from a university in Thailand, he or she must have an income of at least 30,000 baht a month and be able to prove that he or she has paid taxes in Thailand for at least three years.

He or she must have lived in Thailand contunously for at least five years before applying.

The applicant must know the Thai language, including speaking, listening and understand, be able to sing the National Anthem and Sanserm Phra Baramee and pass an interview in Thai with government officers.

Points are awarded to applicants on the following basis: Age and education, 25 points; Occupation, 35 points; Length of residence in Thailand, 10 points; Relationship with Thai people and Thailand, 10 points; Thai language knowledge, 10 points; Personality, 10 points.

Applicants must score a total of at least 50 points in order to qualify for consideration. They must also have two guarantors of their behavior and assets. These guarantors must not be relatives.

Documents applicants must supply are;

Five copies of passport

Five copies of documents verifiying address in Thailand

Five copies of work permit

Five copies of house registration

Five copies of marriage registration (translated into Thai)

Two copies each of ID cards and house registrations of two people who guarantee the applicant’s behavior and assets.

Copy of birth certification, ID card or passport of a wife or husband and children, if any. If the applicant has changed names or surnames, documents relating to these must also be provided.

Documents showing income tax paid over the past three years.

In the case of applicant being a director or partner in a limitewd liability company or partnership, documents verifying that company taxes have been paid for three years.

Two copies each of company or partnership registration, licenses, lists of shareholders, value-added taxes and other related documents of the organization the applicant works at.

Two documents verifying occupation from the organization where he or she works. Salary and position of the applicant must be stated, and the documents must be signed by an authorized person in that organization.

Two documents verifying the applicant’s educational background and those of his or her children, if any.

A document verifying bank accounts, and showing they contain a minimum of 80,000 baht.

A document verifying donations to charity. These should total not less than 5,000 baht and the money must have been donated a long time ago – not just a time to support the citizenship application.

A dozen photographs, 2.5x2.5 inches in size, showing the applicant dressed politely.

A document verifying that the applicant has reaches majority according to the laws in his or her country of origin.

Applicants must present all original documents in person, along with an application fee of 5,000 baht fee. Bangkok-resident applicants should go to the Nationalization Office, Special Branch, Royal Thai Police, the 5th building, Phraram 1 Rd, Kwang Bangmai, Pathumwan Bangkok.

Residents outside Bangkok should apply to the Provincial Police.

Documents will be sent to the relevant authorities for checking. The officers will present those documents to higher ranking officers.

The Interior Minister is the final authority for the decision. There is no exact timetable for consideration – it depends on the length of the checking process.

Last year 48 people applied for Thai nationality. Ten received approval from the Minister of Interior. ”

Thursday, October 28, 2004  Pol Lt Col Somdej Khanthawong, Special Branch, Royal Thai Police, Bangkok 

Obviously, the income tax requirement will be applied to the Thai husband if necessary. The income requirement does apply to farang wives now as well (or rather, their Thai husbands).

I think I got this off the Phuket Gazette issues and answers page, probably from last year.

Haven't heard anything about only applying certain times of the year for citizenship.

Have heard that it helps to apply at "right time" for citizenship otherwise you end up on a big stack of paperwork and forgotten about. I would imagine if you apply in home province and don't coordinate this with someone in Bangkok the same would apply. Keep us all up to date if anyone takes a shot at it (almost 1 in 4 chance it seems). I'd better go and learn the Thai National anthem - I know the tune but not the words!

Haven't heard anything about only applying certain times of the year for citizenship.

Have heard that it helps to apply at "right time" for citizenship otherwise you end up on a big stack of paperwork and forgotten about. I would imagine if you apply in home province and don't coordinate this with someone in Bangkok the same would apply. Keep us all up to date if anyone takes a shot at it (almost 1 in 4 chance it seems). I'd better go and learn the Thai National anthem - I know the tune but not the words!

I was told you MUST apply in your home province and that application was processed there. Hence my difficulties. I have a printout of the words transliterated somewhere in my inbox I think. I will check and post it here. Also, you could probably find it on the internet if you googled it.

can u guys (ladies) clarify and maybe post the requirements for thai husbands and visas etc for farang wives ( i'm in the beginning of a relationship that seems to be heading towards marriage with amazing thai country guy (no drinking, no smoking wei phra every day, wonderful romantic open hearted and minded... but he is clueless as to visas etc not to mention that he is of course , up country(korat) farmer, low income (i have no income)... but he has house, buffalo, cows etc... and supportive family... plan for two years from now (if all goes our way) but if visa stuff is way too complicated, i wont put him thru the hoping and waiting and will cut out early and avoid heartache for both of us....he is a foreign worker here (in israel) at moment and there is no way he could ever come over to live here, visa situations here are catastrophic... any concrete info in thai for him to read; i follow here for the english thanx....

my reading thai has improved amazingly but still cant read official thai websites and he is just learning the wonders of internet....

many many thanx in advance...

p.s. i know i have to get divorce papers etc translated officialy, that i have to get married and then get visa out side of thailand, but other than that, dont know anything (am in israel not america )and consulate here is very 'helpful' 555

bina