1988 Land Rover Defender 110

masteritrit

Hello all,

I am Fairly new to Thailand and am only a few lessons into learning Thai. and living in Bangkok. I have the above vehicle picture attached and am looking for comprehensive coverage for it but no one seems to want to give me that only third party because of the age. I have a bunch of mods on it, new engine, suspension, roll cage (not in this picture), rebuild transmission, snorkel, and just want to have coverage to be able to buy something if it gets crushed by a bus or something. What do people here do for insurance for collectors cars, surely there must be something? I did read some other threads but they were for newer vehicles and didn't seem to have a solution for something older. I did go to the quote link from thaivisa but they can only offer me 3rd party.

One other issue I have is she doesn't have AC. This is something we really need here. Does anyone know if they have roof units that run off of electricity like in the states for an RV. I think I have more then 20 amps free to use this way or can get a stronger alternator easily. If not there is a place to bolt and ac compressor run by the engine but I tried this before and there were problems with the pulleys and no place to put the cooling exchanger in the air path. The engine compartment also gets really hot so I probably need some more heat shielding between it and the passenger compartment to make any AC work and riding in her tolerable for us.

Once I have the above sorted I would love to take her off roading. I have seen some quite capable vehicles in and around town and even went to some of the websites like top wheel 4x4 but the sites are all in Thai and I am a long way from being able to read it. Google translate is not enough to get me going either. I would be happy to go with a group of Thais if I could figure out when and where they were going. Also happy to go out with any expats who are interested. Reading threads on here and looking around on google have not found me any English speaking clubs. My French is ok, I have a little German and can do ok in Swahili but doubt there would be any groups of those speakers about. I saw a place called adventure zone in phetchaburi offering 4x4 but have not been able to find out more. I would also consider driving my self with a group offering a 4x4 safari group if that were an option. Anyway if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

Thanks,

Don

post-123573-0-43965500-1296709076_thumb.

Edited by masteritrit

After driving around town for the first time, getting the AC installed has moved up on the priority list. Anyone know a good Garage around Sukhumvit soi 24 who can retrofit AC? I tried the rover dealer but they seem to have a policy against working on modified vehicles and have a pretty high hourly rate. I got 3rd class insurance but would still really like more coverage, no one on here has a classic car insured or anything? Otherwise she is more comfortable on 4 lane highways then I thought she would be as I never really had her on more then a two lane road in Africa.

Hi mate,

I am in Pattaya, and have just bought a 4X4 Mitsubishi. Sorry it is not a Landy, but will do for now.

If anyone knows any decent 4x4 clubs or some places to go, let us both know!

I don't discriminate, lots of offroad capable looking Suzukis about as well. I used to do a fair bit of off roading in a stock Toyota Tacoma 4x4 which is a Hilux here, great fun. Someone mentioned some event where they did offroading and camping, trying to get more details. I have seen some trucks around with top wheel 4x4 on them but that site is all in Thai and the google translate was not useful. Guess I need to hit the books harder on my Thai but still a long way off from reading. If I ever get the rover down that way I'll look you up.

Don