Raw Eggs Safe To Eat?

Soulwy

pretty safe to eat raw eggs most anywhere.

I think in the USA you would have to eat about 22,000 eggs to get one case of salmonella.

There are simple tests to inspect the egg to improve your chances a lot more.

#1 ALWAYS check the freshness of the egg right before you want to consume

#2 If you are uncertain about the freshness of an egg, don't eat it.

#3 If it smells 'weird', don't eat it.

#4 If there is a crack in the shell, don't eat it.

#5 Don't wash the eggs before storing them

#6 To be able to properly judge the freshness of an egg, it's contents need to be at room temperature; eggs that are stored in the fridge and are opened right away seem fresher than they are. The eggs that you want to check freshness of, should be kept outside the fridge for at least an hour prior to opening them.

#7 First check all the eggs by rolling them across a flat surface. If they don't roll wobbly, don't consume them.

#8 Secondly: shake the eggs; when they dash, don't consume them.

#9 Thirdly: Immerse the eggs in a pan of cool, salted water. If it rises to the surface somewhat, don't consume it. If the egg emits a tiny stream of bubbles, don't consume it. (then the shell is porous/contains a hole)

#10 and last: Open the egg;

If the egg white is watery instead of gel-like, don't consume the egg.

If the egg yolk is not convex and firm, don't consume the egg.

If the egg yolk easily bursts, don't consume the egg.

and lastly if you think you have salmonella then keep some probiotics around and take them. For most people salmonella is not a big deal and taking probiotics usually restores transit time to normal.

If a person is very young or very old then a bad idea to give them raw egg because there immune systems are weaker or compromised

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

thats true.. a raw egg could transfer it much easier than a cooked one. Is there really an outbreak in Thailand now?

If they are in the egg or poultry and a person has a weak immune system then best to avoid the foods altogether. When people handle eggs and poultry it's very easy to transfer raw proteins from cooking utensils etc.

Thai kitchens and restaurants are not laboratory clean by any stretch

pretty safe to eat raw eggs most anywhere.

I think in the USA you would have to eat about 22,000 eggs to get one case of salmonella.

There are simple tests to inspect the egg to improve your chances a lot more.

#1 ALWAYS check the freshness of the egg right before you want to consume

#2 If you are uncertain about the freshness of an egg, don't eat it.

#3 If it smells 'weird', don't eat it.

#4 If there is a crack in the shell, don't eat it.

#5 Don't wash the eggs before storing them

#6 To be able to properly judge the freshness of an egg, it's contents need to be at room temperature; eggs that are stored in the fridge and are opened right away seem fresher than they are. The eggs that you want to check freshness of, should be kept outside the fridge for at least an hour prior to opening them.

#7 First check all the eggs by rolling them across a flat surface. If they don't roll wobbly, don't consume them.

#8 Secondly: shake the eggs; when they dash, don't consume them.

#9 Thirdly: Immerse the eggs in a pan of cool, salted water. If it rises to the surface somewhat, don't consume it. If the egg emits a tiny stream of bubbles, don't consume it. (then the shell is porous/contains a hole)

#10 and last: Open the egg;

If the egg white is watery instead of gel-like, don't consume the egg.

If the egg yolk is not convex and firm, don't consume the egg.

If the egg yolk easily bursts, don't consume the egg.

and lastly if you think you have salmonella then keep some probiotics around and take them. For most people salmonella is not a big deal and taking probiotics usually restores transit time to normal.

If a person is very young or very old then a bad idea to give them raw egg because there immune systems are weaker or compromised

Sounds like a lot of work as well as judgements.

I don't know what tiramisu is. Was wondering if it was worth the effort. What is it

I don't know what tiramisu is. Was wondering if it was worth the effort. What is it

Its a pudding - coffee dipped biscuits/sponge layered with whipped cream/mascarpone/booze/coco powder. Like a fancy triffle without the jelly and custard :D

Edited by wolf5370

Its a pudding - coffee dipped biscuits/sponge layered with whipped cream/mascarpone/booze/coco powder. Like a fancy triffle without the jelly and custard :D

I thought there for a moment you were going to say it can read minds. that is quite a mouthful.:D

Isn't there a thread in the Thailand news section on Bird Flu making a comeback here? I would avoid eating them raw at the moment.

Why/how would bird flu transfer to an egg? It's flu, remember.

I may well be wrong, but I think I recall that a virologist friend of mine told me that bird flu in chickens is found in faeces. This would mean that the shell of the egg might well be contaminated. Transmitted to your hand then whatever. Not sure of the survival time of flu virus in a dry state, but there is a possible risk I think

Isn't there a thread in the Thailand news section on Bird Flu making a comeback here? I would avoid eating them raw at the moment.

Why/how would bird flu transfer to an egg? It's flu, remember.

I may well be wrong, but I think I recall that a virologist friend of mine told me that bird flu in chickens is found in faeces. This would mean that the shell of the egg might well be contaminated. Transmitted to your hand then whatever. Not sure of the survival time of flu virus in a dry state, but there is a possible risk I think

Adding to the voices who believe that the risk is greater than the reward, I would also point out that hens lay eggs through the anus.

if bought thru a regulated commercial outlet like Tops etc then probably minimal low risk.

it's the little mom and pop operations out in the country that might have evaded regulation.

In general Thailand is pretty good at monitoring and responding to food safety issues.

The outbreak that has occurred near BKK is nowhere close to CM and I doubt there is a lot of chance of it traveling a 1000 km's and getting into your eggs before the alarm is sounded here and that probability would be pretty slim at best.

A lot more risk riding your motor bike or crossing the street in CM.

#5 Don't wash the egg?

Why not..? I wash them...

Tiramisu..? The creamy sweet white, the soft cake drenched in coffee or cacao, grinded chocolate... squashing gently between the tongue and palate..

aiaiai... I get lost everytime I eat it...

#5 Don't wash the egg?

Tiramisu..? The creamy sweet white, the soft cake drenched in coffee or cacao, grinded chocolate... squashing gently between the tongue and palate..

Because the shell is porus - washing it will cause the wet poop to soak thruogh the shell. Chicken shells act like an incubator and keep germs etc out - so as long as it has been kept dry, and has not sat too long (i.e. gone bad) then the bacteria count inside is likely to be low. Species trasnfer of brid flu (bird to human) is very rare and requires a lot of contact - but certainly other more likely (and possibly as deadly) baterial infections can be got this way.

By the way, cooking kills bird flu virii.

This is seasonal flu - various starins of Spanish flu etc - not necessarily H5N1. Though washing ones sneezed on hands and not sneezing on people is always good advice at any time! BYW masks that can be bought in supermarkets etc are useless - virii go straight though particulate maks (like the preverbial sausage through the Yangtze River Tunnel!

Perhaps i was not clear enough, a bird can be contaminated with the H5N1 virus, when you touch the bird you can be contaminated by inhale the virus, not by eating it.

Edited by Joop50

if bought thru a regulated commercial outlet like Tops etc then probably minimal low risk.

it's the little mom and pop operations out in the country that might have evaded regulation.

In general Thailand is pretty good at monitoring and responding to food safety issues.

The outbreak that has occurred near BKK is nowhere close to CM and I doubt there is a lot of chance of it traveling a 1000 km's and getting into your eggs before the alarm is sounded here and that probability would be pretty slim at best.

A lot more risk riding your motor bike or crossing the street in CM.

but the risks are additive!!! ride your bike, risk 1, eat bird flu infected eggs ( small) risk 2 hoot at another motorist and get shot at, risk 3 They all add up!!!!!!!!

Moral- don't drive your bike, hoot and eat eggs from infected chickens!!!!!!!!whistling.gif

Perhaps i was not clear enough, a bird can be contaminated with the H5N1 virus, when you touch the bird you can be contaminated by inhale the virus, not by eating it.

but if your hands are contaminated from the bird poo there is a serious risk that you will transfer it to your mouth. The airborne route is the most obvious,and inhalation of dried faeces particles is possible, but hand to mouth contamination exists to, do not dismiss it

Not really - no one is sure about how it is transfered between birds and human (blood spray is most likely - or eating with faeces covered hands) - if it was an air-bourne transfer there certainly would be a greater infection rate than there was (infact I don't think there were any cases of transfer in H5N1 - though there were in H1N1).

Most scientists seem to think it is very rare and would take a weak immune system for initial transfer - or an awful lot of contact. AFIK there have been no cvonfirmed repoerts of it spreading person to person follwing and infection - it was by and large a huge world panic over something less dangerous than walking to the shops or visit a hospital as an out-patient or visitor, as it turned out.

Don't mean to be arguementative, but panic is often far worse than the threat - and the internet is full of guess work and BS that cause such panic m(especially when the gutter press get their hands on it!)

but if your hands are contaminated from the bird poo there is a serious risk that you will transfer it to your mouth. The airborne route is the most obvious,and inhalation of dried faeces particles is possible, but hand to mouth contamination exists to, do not dismiss it

I do not dismiss anything. Hand to mouth contamination has only to do with inhaling. You cannot get H5N1 by eating. There is so much panic about this but the people who died from this disease had very intensive contact with birds. One people cannot even contaminate another.

I'm no expert, but it seems that this is not everyone's view.

Can eating chicken meat give you bird flu?

If the meat is well cooked then there is no risk of getting bird flu from eating chicken. There is a slight risk if the meat is raw or incompletely cooked (for example is there is still blood in the meat or if it is visibly raw).

Can eating eggs give you bird flu?

The virus is present both inside and in the shell of eggs. However, if the egg is well cooked, there is no risk of getting bird flu from an infected egg. A well cooked egg is one which is not runny (liquid). In other words, full boiled eggs and omelets are absolutely safe while half boiled eggs or half-fried eggs are not. Similarly, food with raw or partially cooked eggs (egg pudding or fresh mayonnaise) is not safe.

http://www.parn.org.pk/index_files/birdflu.html

#5 Don't wash the egg?

Because the shell is porus - washing it will cause the wet poop to soak thruogh the shell. Chicken shells act like an incubator and keep germs etc out - so as long as it has been kept dry, and has not sat too long (i.e. gone bad) then the bacteria count inside is likely to be low. Species trasnfer of brid flu (bird to human) is very rare and requires a lot of contact - but certainly other more likely (and possibly as deadly) baterial infections can be got this way.

By the way, cooking kills bird flu virii.

Ah... learnt som'thin' today...

Not really - no one is sure about how it is transfered between birds and human (blood spray is most likely - or eating with faeces covered hands) - if it was an air-bourne transfer there certainly would be a greater infection rate than there was (infact I don't think there were any cases of transfer in H5N1 - though there were in H1N1).

Most scientists seem to think it is very rare and would take a weak immune system for initial transfer - or an awful lot of contact. AFIK there have been no cvonfirmed repoerts of it spreading person to person follwing and infection - it was by and large a huge world panic over something less dangerous than walking to the shops or visit a hospital as an out-patient or visitor, as it turned out.

Don't mean to be arguementative, but panic is often far worse than the threat - and the internet is full of guess work and BS that cause such panic m(especially when the gutter press get their hands on it!)

I agree,

Form what I now the few cases a while ago involved people sitting down and plucking and cleaning infected chickens. In those circumstances very high doses of every sort and every route of infection were possible. As you say, person to person infectionihas not yet been seen I think and unless you have a compromised immune system, the risk is low. In any event, the mortality is around 4%, not really different from 'normal' flu.

Moral: stay away from wobbly looking chickens!, be careful crossing the street and wear a crash helmet when riding your motorbike.