Garlic

Semper

Semper

I am perplexed as to what you are really asking. I have not been in a food store or open food market that didn't sell garlic. The only difference is in the quantity offered as the smallest unit and/or the packaging.

Are you differentiating between available garlic and "good" garlic, meaning "good" garlic has some special quality?

Semper

I am perplexed as to what you are really asking. I have not been in a food store or open food market that didn't sell garlic. The only difference is in the quantity offered as the smallest unit and/or the packaging.

Are you differentiating between available garlic and "good" garlic, meaning "good" garlic has some special quality?

What I mean is, the garlic you buy in Thailand is rather tasteless. :)

I have been in Chiang Mai 4 years now and I still have'nt found any "good" garlic...and by good I mean strong and pungent.

The large white cloves are weak in flavour and have no "bite',the small purple cloves are a bit better but still weak. The only way I can get a strong taste is to use 2 or 3 times as much as I would have had to use at home in my spaghetti sauces.

I understand most of the garlic comes from China...I tried a jar of dried garlic from one of the U.S. spice companies...found out from the lable that it was from China !!. Will have to consult Google and see if any european companies can supply by post,but probably wont be able to find out if its European or Chineese.

I was speaking to some friends from the UK and they also complained about the taste (lack of) of the garlic here. Apparently it is not nearly as powerful as what they are use to. I never ate much garlic before coming to CM, so it seems fine to me, but apparently there is a big difference for some people.

I was speaking to some friends from the UK and they also complained about the taste (lack of) of the garlic here. Apparently it is not nearly as powerful as what they are use to. I never ate much garlic before coming to CM, so it seems fine to me, but apparently there is a big difference for some people.

This surprises me a bit. I always thought the other way around, garlic back home was bland compared to Thai garlic.

If you use enough chilies, it won't matter much. smile.gif

This surprises me a bit. I always thought the other way around, garlic back home was bland compared to Thai garlic.

Isabi......dont know about how you cook....BUT....you dont have chillies in a spaghetti sauce.

Semper

Correction: The large size garlic (that's mostly imported from China) is rather tasteless; the very small garlic that you find at markets is VERY tasty. If you go to just about any market they will have at least three different kinds to choose from, and much less expensive compared to the supermarkets.

Semper

Correction: The large size garlic (that's mostly imported from China) is rather tasteless; the very small garlic that you find at markets is VERY tasty. If you go to just about any market they will have at least three different kinds to choose from, and much less expensive compared to the supermarkets.

If you mean (hom daeng) the small red onions, I can agree with you. But they are onions. :)

Semper

Only by about 85%.

Why on earth anyone in Thailand would buy vegetablea at supermarkets is beyond me. I saw bunches of 'fat' bananas yesterday in Tops for 49 baht reduced from 59 baht......wow!! Earlier I had bought two bunches the same size at Nong Hoi market for 24 baht the two.

2 kilos tomatoes, two kilos of onions and two big bunches of bananas 80 Baht.

Shop where the pubs and restaurant's shop.......... not Supermarkets.

Semper

Only by about 85%.

Why on earth anyone in Thailand would buy vegetablea at supermarkets is beyond me. I saw bunches of 'fat' bananas yesterday in Tops for 49 baht reduced from 59 baht......wow!! Earlier I had bought two bunches the same size at Nong Hoi market for 24 baht the two.

Agree, and that goes for beer also. Why would anyone buy beer in a pub, when you can get it for half the prise in your local shop :rolleyes:

Off topic, sorry :)

Only by about 85%.

Agree, and that goes for beer also. Why would anyone buy beer in a pub, when you can get it for half the prise in your local shop :rolleyes:

Off topic, sorry :)

Not off topic, buy the beer where you buy the garlic or next door.....back on garlic topic.

Some pubs are hurting really badly, if you hunt around you can get as much as 15% discount in certain pubs off drinks and food. They'd like to kid you they buy in Rimping, though the wife sees their shoppers at the veg and meat market early am....if they did give 15% off and bought at Rimping they'd go out of business....hmm maybe thats why they are?

Not off topic, buy the beer where you buy the garlic or next door.....back on garlic topic.

Some pubs are hurting really badly, if you hunt around you can get as much as 15% discount in certain pubs off drinks and food. They'd like to kid you they buy in Rimping, though the wife sees their shoppers at the veg and meat market early am....if they did give 15% off and bought at Rimping they'd go out of business....hmm maybe thats why they are?

A new low. Turning a thread about garlic into a dig about a pub.. Amazing!

Is Lanna food particularly known for garlic? I understand now to aim for small strong garlic (of 3) in the markets. But what with my concentration upon finding a satisfactory spice level, I don't find a remarkable amount of garlic, but can trace it to a specifically Northern Thai restaurant I know. However, that may well be my choice of dishes.

Edited by CMX

ChiangMai2- " A new low. Turning a thread about garlic into a dig about a pub.. Amazing! "

And your contribution to the garlic is..... :rolleyes:

It's OK Semper, CM2 just hates the truth to come out. - he's harmless. saai.gif

Edited by uptheos

ChiangMai2- " A new low. Turning a thread about garlic into a dig about a pub.. Amazing! "

And your contribution to the garlic is..... :rolleyes:

Garlic, on the whole cheap and tasteless. Pretty much like the comment I replied to! :)

Isabi......dont know about how you cook....BUT....you dont have chillies in a spaghetti sauce.

....As Gene Autry used to say...... "Try it , You'll like it"