Fire Responders?

bonobo

I was driving to work on Phetkasem today when I was stopped due to a fire. While sitting there, I noticed that all of the responders were in small pick-ups. There had to be 20 of them. Each would pull up, then a guy would hop out and put on his turnout gear, then rush to the fire.

As bad as it was for the pick-ups to get through the traffic, I guess I can understand why full-sized firetrucks might have a problem in Bangkok. But is this to modus operandi here? Are there the normal firetrucks in Thailand as can be found in other countries?

I have seen some larger truck but they look very outdated, and not the same as we would expect to see in the west. Also on Rama 3 under rama 9 ?? bridge (the tollway bridge) there are many bigger fire trucks parked there, I always assume they are not used as they are part of the investigation into the purchase of fire trucks.

I have seen some larger truck but they look very outdated, and not the same as we would expect to see in the west. Also on Rama 3 under rama 9 ?? bridge (the tollway bridge) there are many bigger fire trucks parked there, I always assume they are not used as they are part of the investigation into the purchase of fire trucks.

If you take the BTS to On Nut and backtrack a couple of hundred metres on the odds side of Sukhumvit you will find Phra Khanong Fire Station (next to PK Police Station) with a handful of fire trucks on display outside. As said, they are dated and very rarely leave the place: Might see one on the road (last week for example) maybe once in six months.

During the redshirt demos in 2009 they used council water trucks to douse and wash away burning tyre barricades:

P413055.JPG

The main fire station in Khon Kaen is pretty well equipped with some big engines. I watched them do a fire evacuation drill at the Pullman hotel. Big extendable ladder with rescue chute-the works.

bonobo.

re ... Are there the normal firetrucks in Thailand as can be found in other countries

we have lots of them in chiang mai as there is a large fire station on almost every side of the our moat thats about four miles around

and lots of mini fire stations with ambulances police and rescue squads on call all over town

but we use our big ones to water the trees at thapae gate : )

enjoy pics ... dave2