Navy Beach Sattahip

johnbarpic

Can anyone help I have tried many trime to visit one of the Thai navy beaches near Sattahip each time I have been stopped by the Thai Navy guard

who basiclly informs me no farang permitted. is this all farang or just Farang who do not have Thai partners. My wife & I are English.

Hmmm...I've never been, but have heard from several people that the beaches are open to foreigners. Here is some info I saved as well as a link to another post with great info on this beach.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sattahip Beach: enter on 3126, photos in post 4 are from Sai Kaow beach (Beach 3) which is at Kilo 167 coming down Sukhumvit. Entrance beside overhead walkway. Charge is 60 Bt per farang and 30 Bt for Thai. Children 10 Bt. Deck chairs are 30 Bt of which 10 Bt is refunded on return of deckchair. Lovely beach when the tide is full, as per the photos. A bit of a walk, and little depth when the tide is out, but good for young kids to make sandcastles etc. Next you'll come to a pedestrian walkway just south of Bang Saree--just a few kilometers. Just past that, I believe, is the right turn to the beach. You'll see soldiers guarding it. You stop just past the soldiers in a parking lot and go inside and give them your passport or a Thai person's id. After that, you just follow the road through another checkpoint for about 5 or 10 kilometers to get to the beach. On the left side of the beach you'll find the songtaews to take you into the more secluded beach.

Here's another interesting thread, which mentions this beach in post #6:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/407032-nice-quiet-beaches-for-a-day-trip/page__p__3956142__hl__sattahip+beach__fromsearch__1#entry3956142

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Let's also move this over to the Pattaya Forum.

• Like 1

Been a while now but I used the beach many times and never stopped by the guards. After entering the the base you will go past some barracks on the left then past some warehouses leased by companies like Chevron, a little further down on the left is a concrete structure (was a morgue for US military personnel during the Vietnam war) turn left there and follow that road for about 3 km to the beach, very nice and clean.

You may want to skip this particular beach. It is a bit rustic. More rock than beach. You absolutely need a helmet & decent shirt & pants(naval code) You will have to be taxied into the actual beach (they provide the free baht bus)& We didn't find it at all impressive. We live about 4 kilo's or so from there. You have to leave your ID at the guard shack. Do not expect beach chairs like Pattaya Jomtien or Ban Ampur or Bang Sare beaches.Mostly all Thai

So not much English spoken there.

If you do go there make sure all your vehicles data is legal & have a helmet on if you are on a motorbike.Normaly you can cruise this area without a helmet- but NOT the base!

You may want to skip this particular beach. It is a bit rustic. More rock than beach. You absolutely need a helmet & decent shirt & pants(naval code) You will have to be taxied into the actual beach (they provide the free baht bus)& We didn't find it at all impressive. We live about 4 kilo's or so from there. You have to leave your ID at the guard shack. Do not expect beach chairs like Pattaya Jomtien or Ban Ampur or Bang Sare beaches.Mostly all Thai

If you do go there make sure all your vehicles data is legal & have a helmet on if you are on a motorbike.Normaly you can cruise this area without a helmet- but NOT the base!

Wow...but it looks so good in the pics I saw in this blog, at the end of the page is the reference to Sai Keaw Beach:

http://thaitrump.blogspot.com/

Is it Sai Keaw Beach you are talking about? I've never been, but have been thinking about going as the weather is soooooooo beautiful right now!

Wow...but it looks so good in the pics I saw in this blog, at the end of the page is the reference to Sai Keaw Beach:

Is it Sai Keaw Beach you are talking about? I've never been, but have been thinking about going as the weather is soooooooo beautiful right now!

My preference of the 2 "Navy" beaches is Had Sai Keaw. This is the one on Sukhumvit shortly after Bang Sarey. Yes, you leave your ID at the gate but you can drive all the way to the beach car park except on weekends and public holidays, on these days you hop on the shuttle bus. There are deckchairs for hire, food and drink, clean water to swim in and nobody hassling you to sell you anything.

I have been to 2 beaches in Sattahip. The one mentioned above where you leave your I.D. as you come of Sukhamvit Road on the right heading south. The last time it was mobbed with Russian tourists that had arrived on boats that must have run in from elsewhere ???

I did on one occasion try to go here alone but it was made obvious by the men with guns that I was not getting any where and had to turn around. When I went with the Thai GF - no problem.

And also the other Navy Beach is after you have gone through Sattahip and heading for Rayong. This one is harder to find but easier to get onto. Sometimes I have been stopped and made to pay the 40 baht ?? other times waved through....

The good thing about these beaches is there are no hawkers and in the low season deserted through the week.

The last two times I went there Movie / T.V. film crews were filming beach scenes for Soaps and adverts for some Korean drink (I think)

The GF an I were the only other people on the whole beach.

As with all beaches around the globe - sometimes they are clean and other times strewn with rubbish....a hit or miss I have found.

On a good day these beaches far surpass the mess that is Jomtien and especially Pattaya......

To find the southerly "easy to get on beach" go on Google Maps and zoom in on Sattahip. South of the town itself you should see a long Jetty running off of a small island. The Beaches I am talking about are due East of this Jetty. The road in is the 3126. This will become a dead end as there is a traffic barrier to stop you going into the oil base and navy yard itself. You make a left about 80 yards before the barriers. The 2 beaches have a couple of very small islets just offshore.

Hope this is some help.....???

Last year my Thai wife and I tried to get access to the beach and were refused and told ferangs not allowed any more.

We did eventually find one public beach after driving miles but couldnt find anywhere to park as it was so crowded and quite honestly after seeing it we didnt want to stay there anyway.

I ought to say it was a holiday weekend which is why it was so packed with Thai people.

HL :D

>>To find the southerly "easy to get on beach" go on Google Maps and zoom in on Sattahip. South of the town itself you should see a long Jetty running off of a small island. The Beaches I am talking about are due East of this Jetty. The road in is the 3126. This will become a dead end as there is a traffic barrier to stop you going into the oil base and navy yard itself. You make a left about 80 yards before the barriers. The 2 beaches have a couple of very small islets just offshore.<<

This is the beach i went to .After you turn off highway 3 ,right turn on to the 3126 ,you quickly pass an entrance to Sattahip Aerport on your left .Keep driving for a few KLms untill you reach that barrier to the Navy jetty .As you say take that turn to the left just before the barrier .Drive on 1 or 2 Klm and the beach is sign posted to the left .At that point you pay a small entrance fee .Was not asked for id .

The day i was there about 6 months ago the water looked very clean ,and the restaurant had some nice food .Mainly Thais there with a sizeable number of Westeners .We were there on a Sunday but it was not over crowded .

>>To find the southerly "easy to get on beach" go on Google Maps and zoom in on Sattahip. South of the town itself you should see a long Jetty running off of a small island. The Beaches I am talking about are due East of this Jetty. The road in is the 3126. This will become a dead end as there is a traffic barrier to stop you going into the oil base and navy yard itself. You make a left about 80 yards before the barriers. The 2 beaches have a couple of very small islets just offshore.<<

This is the beach i went to .After you turn off highway 3 ,right turn on to the 3126 ,you quickly pass an entrance to Sattahip Aerport on your left .Keep driving for a few KLms untill you reach that barrier to the Navy jetty .As you say take that turn to the left just before the barrier .Drive on 1 or 2 Klm and the beach is sign posted to the left .At that point you pay a small entrance fee .Was not asked for id .

The day i was there about 6 months ago the water looked very clean ,and the restaurant had some nice food .Mainly Thais there with a sizeable number of Westeners .We were there on a Sunday but it was not over crowded .

This is Had Nang Ram and my favourite beach in wider Pattaya area. Don't miss the chicken on the way to the beach...sold from the large clay pot!

Not sure we speak about the same beach...

I visited Hat Sai Keo twice, last time in December.

There several "army beaches", BTW:

- Hat Sai Keo (the closest to Pattaya)

- Hat So ou Hat Sou (a bit further)

- The free Sattahip Navy beach near the Navy pier.

I visited the first and the last one recently.

You find hat sai keo easily if you drive south on Sukhumvit and after you pass Bang Saray stay on the lookout for a village with blue colored roofs followed by a smaller village with red roofs. The road to the beach is then immediately on the right.

The beach is here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Sattahip,+Chon+Buri+20180,+Thailand&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&geocode=Fdc2wQAdhbEDBimJEzCcV4kCMTEL9rn7huuc9A%3BFdpwwgAdVLwCBg&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=15&sll=12.743037,100.841832&sspn=0.038007,0.044761&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=15

At the entrance, you will be stopped by the army post.

They want that foreigners deposit an ID document there. I don't know if a copy is enough, but they took my international driver's license without problem.

I didn't have to be taxied, I drove to the beach on my bike.

The stated price seems correct, 60 baht for farang and 30 baht for thai.

The other beach is situated far more south, the place is called Sa Mae San, there was a US Navy base there before (or airforce??).

To reach this one, you have to drive the same road as if you were driving to Utapao airport.

i.e. Sukhumvit all the way south until you reach road 3126, and then turn right into that. There is a big sign "U Tapao" if that helps.

Then drive on wide and well-maintained road (now I know my rented bike can reach 110 KpH) past U Tapao and until you reach the entrance to the Navy facilities. Turn left into the road marked "to the beach" (duh!).

There will be one or two army check points between there and the beach, but they will probably just wave you through.

This beach is free, and on weekends full of Thai families.

If it is too full, there is the first beach with the car park and the rather sub-par sanitary facilities, and then there is also a second beach a bit further with usually much less people around.

This beach is located here, about 45 mins from Pattaya.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Sattahip,+Chon+Buri+20180,+Thailand&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&geocode=Fdc2wQAdhbEDBimJEzCcV4kCMTEL9rn7huuc9A%3BFfqGwAAdnu4DBg&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=15&sll=12.623085,100.91217&sspn=0.038025,0.044761&ie=UTF8&ll=12.617557,100.920496&spn=0.038026,0.044761&t=h&z=15

If I had to chose, I'd say Hat Sai Keo is the nicer beach, with better facilities.

Both beaches have at least one restaurant, and on both beaches you can rent beach loungers.

I have never been to Hat So - who has and can tell me about it?

Hi Craig the beach we went to was Had Sai Keaw. Alisa said as well as I it sucks & pales in comparison to other beaches not charging & you don't have to catch a taxi into & leave ID with. As far as I know farang are welcomed there but I am with a Thai & she leaves the ID so I don't know on that one. I realy didn't think the beach was that great. but hay it is a cheap buy in & if you don't care for it another beach is just around the area. Perhaps Had Nang Ram is better as Raro posted.

Seems one man's beach is another mans strip of dirt....

When is a beach not a beach ? When it is in Thailand.

I know for certain any of these Navy beaches are far superior to Pattaya.

But for me Pattaya is beyond compare. As there is not another place like it on planet earth.

Another rule of thumb I use.

If Lonely Planet says go there - avoid it at all costs.

If it says do not go there. Move heaven and hell to get there.......

It is better to have traveled in hope than to arrive in utter dispare.....I just made that up...:P

Hi Craig the beach we went to was Had Sai Keaw. Alisa said as well as I it sucks & pales in comparison to other beaches not charging & you don't have to catch a taxi into & leave ID with. As far as I know farang are welcomed there but I am with a Thai & she leaves the ID so I don't know on that one. I realy didn't think the beach was that great. but hay it is a cheap buy in & if you don't care for it another beach is just around the area. Perhaps Had Nang Ram is better as Raro posted.

Well, I thought Hat Sai Kheo very superior to Hat Nang Ram. Hat Sai Kheo has a nice restaurant, and the sanitary facilities are much better than at Hat Nang Ram which feels cheap in comparison. The water at Hat Sai Kheo also seemed clearer, but this may have been caused by wind/tide.

And there were definitely beach chairs, and I drove myself to the beach on my bike.

Are you sure you didn't visit Hat So?

Well, I thought Hat Sai Kheo very superior to Hat Nang Ram. Hat Sai Kheo has a nice restaurant, and the sanitary facilities are much better than at Hat Nang Ram which feels cheap in comparison. The water at Hat Sai Kheo also seemed clearer, but this may have been caused by wind/tide.

And there were definitely beach chairs, and I drove myself to the beach on my bike.

Are you sure you didn't visit Hat So?

Pretty sure, but I will not go back to find out. there are some very nice beaches in the Bang Saray area that are not military. it was a couple years ago & there were no deck chairs for rent.Nice thing about Thailand if you don't care for a beach just roll on down & check out the next one!

• 1 year later...

Just an update. Just been there at Hat Sai Kheo, the one closest to Pattaya. Drove there by car. Everything above is right except for the price: farang admission fee is now 80 THB.

No offense, but I guess a trip to Koh Larn will be cheaper then and much more exciting and pleasant with a verity of beaches you can choose from!

But this could be just another option....

This is Had Nang Ram and my favourite beach in wider Pattaya area. Don't miss the chicken on the way to the beach...sold from the large clay pot!

Yes & the Thai entrance price is the same for farangs - 20 baht from memory

• 6 months later...

My Thai wife and I decided to visit the beach at Hat Toei Ngam today. Unfortunately, we were turned away by the guard. My wife specifically asked the guard if we were on the correct road for the beach. She was told we were but no farangs allowed... Pity!

Amazing Thailand - I posted on here 2 years ago....

The Had Sou beach is off limits to all foreigners. I tried to get in on my own - no chance and also same result with Thai GF.

the best of the 3 is the Had Nam Rang...20 baht for a car / motorbike.

also - you need to go to the 2nd beach - the first one gets solid mobbed on holidays and week ends with locals.

the 2nd beach if the tide is running correctly and the Navy lads have bothered to clear it is by far the best one and worth going to.

I have been there on my own and with Thai GF and no problem getting on.