Two-Pronged War With Pad, Cambodia

Lite Beer

TWO-PRONGED WAR WITH PAD, CAMBODIA

PM calls for unity in border disputes

By The Nation.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva Sunday called for unity while the country is engaging in border disputes with Cambodia, which saw two days of clashes.

During his live TV program on NBT, Abhisit was reacting to the resolution of the People's Alliance for Democracy to oust him from office.

Abhisit said he wondered why the PAD would intensify the protests to force him out of office when he shares the same stand with the PAD regarding to the border disputes.

Abhisit explained that his government was the first government that was opposed to Cambodia's unilateral registration of Preah Vihear Temple as a world heritage site.

He said he was also against the use of the 1:200,000 map cited by Cambodia to carry out border demarcations.

"PAD, this is the first government which is clearly opposed to the [1:200,000] map and registration of Preah Vihear as heritage site so I am surprised why you came out to demand the government's ouster," Abhisit said.

"My government shares the same stand with you so I wonder for what you are making your campaign."

The prime minister also urged the public to listen to information of all sides instead of listening only to the PAD leaders.

He said his government could not comply with the PAD's demand to withdraw Thailand from the Unesco World Heritage committee.

Abhisit said if Thailand pulled out from the committee, the committee would listen only to the Cambodia's side and Cambodia might be allowed by go in to manage the part of the land that belongs to Thailand.

"And I cannot tolerate that," Abhisit said.

Abhisit also noted that keeping the memorandum of understanding with Cambodia on border disputes would benefit Thailand more than annulling it as demanded by the PAD.

Abhisit said the MOU, which was signed in 2000, helped return calm to the disputed border area after two days of clashes.

Abhisit said without the MOU, troops of the two countries could have clashed everyday.

To criticisms that MOU could not have prevented the clashed on Friday and Saturday, Abhisit replied: "I'll say the calm has returned partly because of the MOU".

He also insisted that Thailand has not lost its territory to Cambodia as alleged by the PAD.

"I have no interests in exchange for giving away our land to foreigners," Abhisit said during his live TV program on NBT.

"Had I done it, it should not only be removed as the prime minister but I should also be expelled from the country," Abhisit said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02=06

Abhisit is in effect highlighting the diversionary nature of the PAD rantings. Their agenda is in my oppinion to try to steal the ground the democrats have occupied come the next election and to avoid their leaders facing the consequences of their actions regarding the airport occupation. Of course if your only source on news is ASTV and interminable hours of inflamatory speeches it is easy to be brainwashed and not notice the man behind the curtain yanking the levers.

I think both posts are on the money - the PM is holding his own against both colours and it would appear at last he has a stance and a good chance to remain on the high ground at next elections. Here's hoping as neither red or yellow have any true leadership qualities that could be alleged as 'outstanding'.

Abhisit is in effect highlighting the diversionary nature of the PAD rantings. Their agenda is in my oppinion to try to steal the ground the democrats have occupied come the next election and to avoid their leaders facing the consequences of their actions regarding the airport occupation. Of course if your only source on news is ASTV and interminable hours of inflamatory speeches it is easy to be brainwashed and not notice the man behind the curtain yanking the levers.

so, so true - it goes to motive.

is Chamlong gonna be the next PM?