Missing Smilies

Moonrakers

There are those out there who take absolutely everything literally and seem incapable of reading the context in which something is said or written. There are those out there that if asked "why did the chicken cross the road", they would begin a debate on the perils of poultry crossing a public highway.

So, some smilies are needed to help those poor souls who seem incapable of recognizing any kind of fun or emotion in the world around them. I think we need the following smilies:

Tongue in cheek smilie: A little image to let the reader know that you are not being entirely serious and that you don't really wish for Justin Bieber to be dipped in acid and rolled down a salt mine.

The sarcasm smilie: Quite self explanatory but sadly, sorely missing

The irony smilie: Could be a difficult one because the irony would often need explaining to many

What else are we missing?

(And yes, this post does have a tongue in cheek element about it)

too few people out there with either a grain of salt or the ability to let their text stand on its own without the embellishment of childish graphics.

what is the point of irony if it is prefaced by the words "i am being ironic"?

but, in the context of thai visa, really, what is the point at all?

too few people out there with either a grain of salt or the ability to let their text stand on its own without the embellishment of childish graphics.

Trying to think of which smilie would be appropriate for this.

<br />too few people out there with either a grain of salt or the ability to let their text stand on its own without the embellishment of childish graphics.<br /><br />what is the point of irony if it is prefaced by the words "i am being ironic"?<br /><br />but, in the context of thai visa, really, what is the point at all?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yup! Shakespeare managed somehow using only WORDS, as did many other masters.

Ordinary mortals (now aged 60-plus of course)were also able to pass English exams without adding silly little cartoons everywhere.

If you can't let your words do your talking, why revert to these juvenile little faces? They are admissions of defeat!

And while I'm at it and just before I again get shot down in flaming (sic), why do so many posters end their messages with assinine (look it up) phrases like:

"Just my two cents worth."

It's a forum for gawd's sake and that's why you are using it. No need to make pathetic excuses!

Just my two penn'orth, of course.

Tongue in cheek smilie: A little image to let the reader know that you are not being entirely serious and that you don't really wish for Justin Bieber to be dipped in acid and rolled down a salt mine.

The sarcasm smilie: Quite self explanatory but sadly, sorely missing

The irony smilie: Could be a difficult one because the irony would often need explaining to many

Hard to see how these could be depicted in smiley-form though...

Smilies are a form of expression, a method of communication, almost a language in its own right and one that is universally understood. The letters of the alphabet are themselves characters on a page that are used as a form of expression and communication, not too dissimilar to smilies.

The remarkable thing about your post is that it is itself ironic in so many ways. You claim to have some kind of moral high ground on how we should communicate with each other yet you have managed to completely and utterly miss the point and the context of the topic. Others understood it exactly as it was intended. I even wrote in WORDS that there was an element of "tongue in cheek" to my OP, yet it still evaded you. Perhaps if I had a smilie to use you would have got it.

You have completely missed the entire bleedin point yet you have the nerve to question other people's communication and language skills. The words "stones" and "greenhouses" spring to mind here.

You are being pedantic in your interpretation of how we should communicate with each other while at the same time you are completely failing to apply any capitalisation to your post. I could be a prick about that but I shan't, because the purpose of sharing a common language is to enable us to communicate and that has been achieved (for the most part).

Language and the way in which we communicate evolves and becomes bastardised as time goes on. Always has done, always will do. Smilies could be considered the latest instalment and it is only relatively recently that we have been able to communicate in this way.

Smilies are just another form of communication and they are here to stay, whether you like it or not.

rolleyes.gif

Smilies are a form of expression, a method of communication, almost a language in its own right and one that is universally understood. The letters of the alphabet are themselves characters on a page that are used as a form of expression and communication, not too dissimilar to smilies.

The remarkable thing about your post is that it is itself ironic in so many ways. You claim to have some kind of moral high ground on how we should communicate with each other yet you have managed to completely and utterly miss the point and the context of the topic. Others understood it exactly as it was intended. I even wrote in WORDS that there was an element of "tongue in cheek" to my OP, yet it still evaded you. Perhaps if I had a smilie to use you would have got it.

You have completely missed the entire bleedin point yet you have the nerve to question other people's communication and language skills. The words "stones" and "greenhouses" spring to mind here.

You are being pedantic in your interpretation of how we should communicate with each other while at the same time you are completely failing to apply any capitalisation to your post. I could be a prick about that but I shan't, because the purpose of sharing a common language is to enable us to communicate and that has been achieved (for the most part).

Language and the way in which we communicate evolves and becomes bastardised as time goes on. Always has done, always will do. Smilies could be considered the latest instalment and it is only relatively recently that we have been able to communicate in this way.

Smilies are just another form of communication and they are here to stay, whether you like it or not.

rolleyes.gif

perhaps i should have used smilies after all. who has truly missed the point here?

<br />too few people out there with either a grain of salt or the ability to let their text stand on its own without the embellishment of childish graphics.<br /><br />what is the point of irony if it is prefaced by the words "i am being ironic"?<br /><br />but, in the context of thai visa, really, what is the point at all?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yup! Shakespeare managed somehow using only WORDS, as did many other masters.

Ordinary mortals (now aged 60-plus of course)were also able to pass English exams without adding silly little cartoons everywhere.

If you can't let your words do your talking, why revert to these juvenile little faces? They are admissions of defeat!

And while I'm at it and just before I again get shot down in flaming (sic), why do so many posters end their messages with assinine (look it up) phrases like:

"Just my two cents worth."

It's a forum for gawd's sake and that's why you are using it. No need to make pathetic excuses!

Just my two penn'orth, of course.

I don't believe (although I could be wrong) The Bard was on the internet. :unsure::D:o

Trying to think of which smilie would be appropriate for this.

An "I'm-thoroughly-confused-and-laughing-out-loud-while-multi-tasking" smiley?