My Cambodian Fiancee In Thailand Needs Advice With Student Visa.

My fiancee, a Cambodian citizen, (whom I intend to marry in the USA) is in Thailand after being married to a Thai citizen for 4 years. After we met and had a positive relationship she decided to divorce and be free to marry me. The divorce was harmonious and mutual. But we did not anticipate that the USA visa would take between 6 month to a year if we marry here and only 6 months with a fiancee visa. We did not anticipate either that after her divorce she cannot stay in Thailand with yearly extensions. I have a condo in Bangkok and would like her to be with me until the USA visa arrives. A fiancee visa is faster and will allow us to marry in the USA and continue on with our lives in 6 months. I do not want her to wait all that time in her native country, Cambodia, for obvious reasons as of late. We came up with the idea of a student visa for her to study English in Thailand.

I need help with the following questions:

1- If after choosing the right school, paying the fees and getting the letter for the student visa application, will she stand a chance of getting that visa upon her return from Cambodia?

I ask because she is fluent in Thai (reads, writes and speaks) and the real purpose is to learn more English to live in the USA. If asked by Thai Immigration, will telling the truth about our purpose be a negative in getting the student visa?

2- Is it required that the student visa MUST be obtained only from the Thai embassy in Cambodia or can it be also be granted in Lao?

I have heard many stories of severe irregularities regarding the Thai Embassy in Cambodia.

3- Will the way she travels to and from Cambodia (bus or airline) have a bearing in her getting the student visa?

4- What are the requirements to get a student visa in general: sufficient funds, letter of support, letter from the school, etc. ?

The final date on her passport to stay in Thailand is fast approaching in February and I would like to prepare everything for her ASAP.

Any accurate information from the experts on this matter in this Forum will be greatly appreciated. Your help will contribute to our happiness and peace and future peace of mind.

With many thanks in advance,

Pisico :)

If you live in Thailand the local INS office should be available and cut the processing time for US marriage entry (at least that was the case in the past). Did you check with INS?

1. Knowing Thai should not effect study of English.

2. Check with school - Cambodia has has special restrictions in the past and the way things are going may again.

3. Travel mode should not matter.

4. Check with school.

If you live in Thailand the local INS office should be available and cut the processing time for US marriage entry (at least that was the case in the past). Did you check with INS?

2. Check with school - Cambodia has has special restrictions in the past and the way things are going may again.

4. Check with school.

The former "INS" is here:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Address: Sindhorn Building

Tower 2, 15th Floor

130-132 Wireless Road

Bangkok 10330, THAILAND

Tel.: 02-205-5352/5382 (within Thailand)

Tel.: 011-662-205-5352 (from the United States)

Email:

BKKCIS.Inquiries

@dhs.gov

The Bangkok Office is located next door to the U.S. Embassy, Tower 2, 15th Floor, Sindhorn Tower Building. Pay parking and access for individuals with special needs is available.

The office is open to the public Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8:00am to 11:30am and from 12:30pm to 3:00pm. Wednesday from 8:00am to 11:30am. We are closed on Thai and American holidays.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Mac

4. Check with school.

Thank you Lopbury! Your information is greatly appreciated.

I checked with Walen school and it confirmed what you say.

I wonder about the restrictions Cambodians had in the past.

Now with this problem over the disputed area I fear that my teerak will not be allowed to come back even with her student visa.

She is so respectful and loving of Thailand that her purpose was to become a Thai citizen.

Then we met and obviously, when I go back to USA I would like her with me. The reason for my worries these days.

You have given me some peace of mind.

Thanks again!

Pisico

4. Check with school.

The former "INS" is here:

xxxxxxxxxxx

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Address: Sindhorn Building

Tower 2, 15th Floor

130-132 Wireless Road

Bangkok 10330, THAILAND

Tel.: 02-205-5352/5382 (within Thailand)

Tel.: 011-662-205-5352 (from the United States)

Email:

BKKCIS.Inquiries

@dhs.gov

The Bangkok Office is located next door to the U.S. Embassy, Tower 2, 15th Floor, Sindhorn Tower Building. Pay parking and access for individuals with special needs is available.

The office is open to the public Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8:00am to 11:30am and from 12:30pm to 3:00pm. Wednesday from 8:00am to 11:30am. We are closed on Thai and American holidays.

Mac

Thanks Mac!

You opened a window of hope for me.

I will check with the INS office today. Any results and/or information I will post for the benefits of others.

You are a real pal.

Thanks again!

Pisico