Calling All Computer Experts

trainman34014

I know a lot of you are hot with computers so I'm hoping someone has an answer for me.

I signed up for internet banking during my last trip to UK; all ok and worked in UK but now I'm back here I can't log in on my computer (which is 5 years old). Tried it in Internet Cafe and it works ok so; what's wrong with my computer? Is it something to do with internet options settings, size of Ram or something more sinister that is going to force me to buy a new computer?

Any help appreciated.

Could be a nut loose behind the keyboard, I get this sometimes myself, but a few Valiums sorts that out.

Seriously though most likely something to do with our Internet browser, what are you using and is it updated?

Could be a nut loose behind the keyboard, I get this sometimes myself, but a few Valiums sorts that out.

Seriously though most likely something to do with our Internet browser, what are you using and is it updated?

Yes, some banking sites will only work with later versions of IE and not Firefox for example.

OP, please think carefully about accessing your Internet banking from "public" computers in Internet cafes etc. You do not know what nasties (e.g. loggers) are at work on such computers and there is always a risk of your keystrokes being visually monitored.

Rgds

A few things come to mind...

Secure Socket Layer - Make sure your using a web browser that supports SSL and other forms of authentication. Most browsers do, so check to see that it's enabled.

Internet Connection - Your ISP could be having routing issues or other problems affecting connectivity. Also, it isn't uncommon for financial sites to limit access from certain geographical areas due to security concerns. Finally, make sure you're not connecting through any proxies.

3 Browser tried.......Firefox 3.06, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer 8. It's not a Regional Block, as someone has suggested as I've spoken to the banks internet people. Tried everything that's been mentioned and seems I'm screwed ! Points taken about Internet Cafe's.

One other thought is that if you disable UAC (User Access Control) this can also prevent log-ons to some secure sites.

I think UAC is only on Vista and later MS o/s. People disable it as it can be annoying.

If you Google the term, there are some useful explanations of what it is and how to disable/enable.

Rgds

^ NEVER EVER use proxies to do any kind of financial transaction.

What is your ISP? True, TOT, 3BB.. ??

Also check to see that your anti-virus or firewall isn't blocking HTTPS traffic (port 443).

ISP is 3BB. How do I find Port 443? Should it be on or off? Sorry; you are dealing with a computer novice !

That explains it (at least partially). 3BB been having quite a few problems as of late. When accessing a secure site, you should see the following in any SSL-enabled browser:

testhttps.png

SSL test pages:

Site 1 | Site 2 | Site 3

Come to the computer club meeting, Tuesdays, 1 pm, at the D'Lite restaurant directly across the street from immigration. If you are using a lap top, bring it with you and the odds are your problem will be solved on the spot.

Have you asked your bank if they will allow access from outside the country? You might test that without calling by trying to access your account via a VPN. If you can get in through that but not otherwise, then I would say the bank is blocking it.

Come to the meeting today and go home a happy banker.

Come to the computer club meeting, Tuesdays, 1 pm, at the D'Lite restaurant directly across the street from immigration. If you are using a lap top, bring it with you and the odds are your problem will be solved on the spot.

Have you asked your bank if they will allow access from outside the country? You might test that without calling by trying to access your account via a VPN. If you can get in through that but not otherwise, then I would say the bank is blocking it.

Which city are you talking about?

Which city are you talking about?

Chiang Mai. As Noise says, directly across the street from immigration, near the airport.

Is this by any chance Nationwide? And are you using a wireless router?

There's a not very well documented problem with Nationwide's system. (It also affects Nationwide International.) If your network MTU is set to autodiscover you have problems. You need manually to set your MTU to a smaller value (1200 works fine - 1400 probably works, too). Some people have said you should set the MTU on your router, though I've found it's fine just to set it on my PC.

Gentlemen. I have to thank you all for your important input as I have now resolved the problem and can access via Google Chrome. I have achieved this by using a combination of your idea's and advice over a 2 day period and I am very relieved to be able to return to 'normal' life. Well; my normal life anyway !

I will sometime come to the club when I can get into town because I am sure I could learn so much more from people that have a wealth of experience. However; I would probably only be able to attend a few times a year.

Once again; thank you one and all for trying your best to help me. It is very much appreciated......Brian.