How To Get Thai Birth Cert And Thai Passport Whilst On Holiday In Thailand

macduff

My wife is thai and i'm english.We are married and have 3 year old son born in uk.My wife is now a british citizen.

We are currently on holiday in thailand.

We have brought our marriage certificate and our sons uk birth certificate with us

Would it be possible to get our son a thai passport whilst were here?

No. To get a Thai passport, your son must have a Thai birth certificate. A Thai birth certificate can only be issued by the amphur of the place one is born. For Thai nationals born abroad the Thai embassy serves as amphur (district office). You will have to apply for a Thai birth certificate at the embassy in London and at the same time apply for a Thai passport.

The embassy website has all the details and forms you will need.

that's right.

Embassy in London is the only place which is authorised to issue him his Thai birth certificate (which are a different format for those who are born outside of Thailand). He can get his first Thai passport there too.

Subsequent passports can then be applied for in London, Thailand, or even any other Thai embassy around the world.

We actually went down to the passport office whilst we was renewing my wifes thai passport to ask the question about my sons application for thai passport.and they said we had to do it in london as you have rightly stated.

It would have been simpler and more convienient to do in thailand without the hassle of going to london to which i'm not looking forward to.

Thanks for your replys

Edited by macduff

Thanks for the info. i have the same issue here in South Korea. My wife's Thai passport still has her original last name. She is also a US citizen. Will that be a problem when the babies original Korean birth cert. has my wifes full married name (as on US passport)on it ex. her first name, her original last name used as a middle name, my last name.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. i have the same issue here in South Korea. My wife's Thai passport still has her original last name. She is also a US citizen. Will that be a problem when the babies original Korean birth cert. has my wifes full married name (as on US passport)on it ex. her first name, her original last name used as a middle name, my last name.

Thanks

No, it might need some explaining but will not be that unusual. The marriage certificate will be enough to convince them, together with the US passport.

You will of course have to register the birth of the child with both US and Thai embassies.