The Netherlands To Help Ease Flooding In Thailand

webfact

The Netherlands to help ease flooding in Thailand

By Jutharat Thipnampha

The Nation

The Science Ministry, in cooperation with the Dutch embassy, is working on a flood-prevention plan as a long-term resolution of the erosion and problems caused by rising sea levels faced by Bangkok and coastal provinces.

The Netherlands, in its capacity as a world expert in dam construction and flood management, has been asked by the government to help with the problem. A team of Dutch technicians and Thai officials will be conducting a joint survey of provinces along the coast of the Gulf of Thailand until Friday.

The teams held a seminar yesterday on flood management, during which Dutch experts told officials from various agencies about the prevention methods they could adopt. Science Minister Virachai Virameteekul, however, said that both short- and long-term solutions needed to be worked out to deal with the problem, but did not provide details about the time frames.

Meanwhile, the Dutch government has granted a multi-million euro budget to support the programme and relevant authorities are helping on the legislative side of things, the Netherlands' Ambassador to Thailand Tjaco van den Hout said.

Netherlands began putting its flood-management measures in place decades ago, developing some of the world's best flood-prevention technology along the way. More than half of the Netherlands, covering more than 60 per cent of the entire population of more than 16.6 million, is 4-7 metres below sea level, the ambassador said.

Flood-management expert Anon Sanitwong na Ayutthaya said the areas most at risk in Thailand were Bangkok, Chon Buri, Samut Songkhram, Samut Sakhon and Chachoengsao.

"Flood management in each province is handled locally and lacks integral operations, which would be further consolidated based on Dutch technology under this programme," he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-08

So good of those idiot Dutch to give money to Thailand. We have enough problems at home but still give money to other countries. As far as i know Thailand has no budget deficit but Holland does. Why would we give them money knowing that its an utterly corrupt country and much of the money will be lost.

I do agree that we could help the Thai's with our knowledge but we all know how much the Thai's listen to others so its pointless. The only ones benefiting from this are the people who can get their hands on the money and those like the Dutch guy in charge who can play a big shot with taxpayers money.

If the Thais really wanted help then sending people in who work for free would be better then sending money. If something is given for free in general its not cared much for. Just think of the Phuket Tsunami buoy.

The Afsluitdijk (English: Enclosure Dam, Frisian: Ofslútdyk) is a major causeway in theNetherlands, constructed between 1927 and 1933 and running from Den Oever on Wieringenin North Holland province, to the village of Zurich (mun. Wûnseradiel) in Friesland province, over a length of 32 kilometres (20 mi) and a width of 90 m, at an initial height of 7.25 m abovesea-level.

It is a fundamental part of the larger Zuiderzee Works, damming off the Zuiderzee, a salt water inlet of the North Sea and turning it into the fresh water lake of the IJsselmeer.

Overhere they can do the same.When not,then over 25 years they don't have to be worried anymore,because Bangkok is gone.

Seems to me Thailand had a team of experts in from Israel several years ago to help with irrigation procedures.

They ignored them and in all likely hood will ignore the Dutch.

It is not the Thai way.:(

The Netherlands, in its capacity as a world expert in dam construction and flood management, has been asked by the government to help with the problem. A team of Dutch technicians and Thai officials will be conducting a joint survey of provinces along the coast of the Gulf of Thailand until Friday.

The Dutch guys got lost while looking for a coffee shop. The joint survey makes perfect sense to me. Don't Bogart it...... Kaas Brood Win....:jap:

Fund Thailand? From the Dutch? Impossible. There must be a big chain attached. We all know how tight the Dutch are. They would sell anything and everything, including their own mothers. And to Thailand? we also know that at least half of the funding will be eaten away by corruption. First stop is of course through project bidding.

So good of those idiot Dutch to give money to Thailand. We have enough problems at home but still give money to other countries. As far as i know Thailand has no budget deficit but Holland does. Why would we give them money knowing that its an utterly corrupt country and much of the money will be lost.

No money for nothing.

Most of it will probably be used to facilitate (bribe & rig) the way for Dutch contractors to get involved when it comes to future project management and bidding for contracts.

No money for nothing.

Most of it will probably be used to facilitate (bribe & rig) the way for Dutch contractors to get involved when it comes to future project management and bidding for contracts.

But I thought the Dutch were squeaky clean and that the government and its contractors were doing this out of the goodness of their heart. :o

Who would have thought the Dutch could be so European.:(

I do agree that we could help the Thai's with our knowledge but we all know how much the Thai's listen to others so its pointless. The only ones benefiting from this are the people who can get their hands on the money and those like the Dutch guy in charge who can play a big shot with taxpayers money.

If the Thais really wanted help then sending people in who work for free would be better then sending money. If something is given for free in general its not cared much for. Just think of the Phuket Tsunami buoy.

i thought that the Netherlands was run by Muslims now?

perhaps they think they are helping their brothers.........

don't u worry about our business sense;) We 'give' thailand a case study and a proposal. This costs several million to compose. After thailand accepts our proposal they will be locked in for life because without our technology the place is still going to flood. so we will have water works and more importantly water works maintenance contracts coming in from thailand for many years to come.

u have to invest to make money, didn't they teach u that back home?

Rama V in the early 1900 bringed to Siam a dutch engineer to find a solutions to these problems, needless to say, the dutchy gave up and runned away because he couldn't cope anymore with the level of obstructions/backstabbings he was going trough in his new life here.....

Rama V in the early 1900 bringed to Siam a dutch engineer to find a solutions to these problems, needless to say, the dutchy gave up and runned away because he couldn't cope anymore with the level of obstructions/backstabbings he was going trough in his new life here.....

Feel like I stepping on poop.;)

The engineer's name is Jan Homan van der Heide who was the founding Director of the Royal Irrigation Development and worked in Thailand from 1902 till 1909.

Gave up is maybe a bit to strong a word after 7 years of work.

Good point and why the Thai wait so long to get help from the Dutch....

The Thai should pay the Dutch for her services rather than the Dutch has to give the Thai while the Dutch is broke. No comment about where the money goes? It is a sensitive issue ...I take a stand for my opinion.

The engineer's name is Jan Homan van der Heide who was the founding Director of the Royal Irrigation Development and worked in Thailand from 1902 till 1909.

Gave up is maybe a bit to strong a word after 7 years of work.

And i would hazard an additional thought on why there has been no mention of this previous collaboration, we all know that everything good in Thailand is the work of ONLY thai people, yes this dutch was an engineer but there is no way he could have even contributed to any works being made here, thai don't need foreigners, perhaps is the other way round, just look at the thai history text books and you will see the truth, ohhh this western propaganda! :D

Stuff to read:

Dutch river defences in historical perspective

Flood control in the Netherlands

US urged to abandon ageing flood defences in favour of Dutch system

Dutch-US water defences keep New Orleans dry

A Dutch technician at the Maeslantkering flood defense in the port of Rotterdam told me in 2005 (or was it 2006?) that only a week before New Orleans' mayor Ray Nagin had payed the facility a visit with a delegation from the States. They were impressed by the amount of effort and money that Holland put into flood defense over time. He immediately stated later in local media that the US should more or less copy both Dutch technology and mentality because it is only humane to do so. Everybody cheered. Now, 2011, Dutch technicians are stating that even with their efforts to fortify the Gulf Coast the amount of defense isn't higher than it used to be just because, well, the American tax payer just doesn't want to pay up. The area is too poor, economical reasons practically absent.

The same situation will probably happen here and if even a disaster in the US doesn't change policy then why would it ever change here.

Edited by AgentSmith

don't u worry about our business sense;) We 'give' thailand a case study and a proposal. This costs several million to compose. After thailand accepts our proposal they will be locked in for life because without our technology the place is still going to flood. so we will have water works and more importantly water works maintenance contracts coming in from thailand for many years to come.

u have to invest to make money, didn't they teach u that back home?

As an accountant i am well aware of it but why should taxpayers money be invested so private companies can benefit ?

No money for nothing.

But I thought the Dutch were squeaky clean and that the government and its contractors were doing this out of the goodness of their heart. :o

Who would have thought the Dutch could be so European.:(

The dutch are clean but i dont doubt that bribing does occur. The whole point im trying to make is why would taxpayers pay for this so private companies can benefit. The people paying are not the same as the one reaping the rewards.. if there are ever rewards in it for the Dutch.

Perhaps the second line of the OP report is put there to confuse the Dutch. The problem in BKK is subsidence, and not Sea levels rising.

How long will it take the Dutch engineers to figure this out? About 3 days I reckon.

After many musings on the subject, the Dutch report should make interesting reading.

Seems to me Thailand had a team of experts in from Israel several years ago to help with irrigation procedures.

They ignored them and in all likely hood will ignore the Dutch.

It is not the Thai way.:(

The Dutch guys got lost while looking for a coffee shop. The joint survey makes perfect sense to me. Don't Bogart it...... Kaas Brood Win....:jap:

The Dutch guys were too confused when they heard it was to be a " JOINT SURVEY ".....they thought they were here to help with the flooding !

^

Private companies hire and pay wages to private people allowing them to buy stuff from other private companies allowing them to hire and pay wages to other private people etc..

In between there’s taxes here and there so in the end it all filters down somehow and everybody gains. :)