PAD Will Not March In Bangkok On 11 Feb

webfact

PAD will not march in Bangkok on 11 Feb

BANGKOK, 8 February 2011 (NNT) – The People’s Alliance for Democracy has confirmed that its demonstrators will not march anywhere on 11 February 2011 as earlier announced but a PAD group will be dispatched to present assistance in cash and kind to soldiers on the Thai-Cambodian border.

According to PAD spokespersons Prapan Koonme and Panthep Puapongpan, the PAD has resolved to cancel the planned march on 11 February since it does not want to cause traffic congestion or trouble the public.

Instead, the PAD will arrange trucks transporting food and money to soldiers and villagers affected by recent border clashes. As for the planned protest against the PAD by locals in Si Sa Ket province, the PAD spokespersons said they deemed it just a plan set up by the government.

As for the government’s decision to impose the 2008 Internal Security Act (ISA) as a tool to control mobs, Mr Prapan said the PAD law team will seek a temporary injunction with the Administrative Court and sue the whole cabinet members once the ISA is enforced.

The spokesperson stressed that the group has the right to assemble according to the constitution. He indicated that the government has no adequate reasons to invoke the security law, which requires damage to national security as the preemptive condition to its enforcement.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-02-08 footer_n.gif

So they don't want to "cause traffic congestion or trouble the public" but they do want a war with Cambodia.

Presupposing of course that they have enough people willing to rally to cause congestion. As for the hostile reception they are getting from Thais living on the border, I would humbly suggest that there is no need for any attempts by the government to make the PAD look bad seeing as they are doing such a first class job of it themselves.

Edited by Steely Dan

Could they at last be getting the message?

Suspect they will get it loud and clear when they get near the border, no matter how much loot they take with them.

Or possibly they just cant get enough bodies together to make a good show in BKK.

they have "trucks transporting food and money", but they don't have people/canon fodder.

from what I have seen today some elderly, probably retired army and government officials, with some outdated views on the society and politics. Yellow dinosaurs

It takes quite a lot of effort to really pi$$ me off, but I have to congratulate these clowns on doing a pretty good job.You are not Thai like we are. Ner ner ner ne ner ner.

Get a life and get out of ours, fellas.Yeah yeah, the Nation is as usual, in peril. But it isn`t though, is it?

It takes quite a lot of effort to really pi$$ me off, but I have to congratulate these clowns on doing a pretty good job.You are not Thai like we are. Ner ner ner ne ner ner.

Get a life and get out of ours, fellas.Yeah yeah, the Nation is as usual, in peril. But it isn`t though, is it?

I think it is not up to you who qualify to be Thai like and who not.

I think it is not up to you who qualify to be Thai like and who not.

I do not quite understand your last sentence. All I am doing is making a point. When we are all dead and gone, there will still be a country called Thailand. I just hope her people 100 years from now, will not be bombarded with "If The Nation Is To Survive" flapdoodle. Is that unreasonable?

PAD to visit Kataralak and rally at Royal Plaza

By The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_4062.jpg

The People's Alliance for Democracy will Friday dispatch a convoy to distribute relief supplies for villagers fleeing border clashes at Si Sa Ket's Kantaralak district and hold a rally to pledge allegiance at King Chulalongkorn Equestrian Statue, the Royal Plaza.

PAD leader Chamlong Srimuang said on Wednesday the PAD will not rally to disrupt the vote on charter amendments as has been feared.

PAD spokesman Panthep Pourpongpan said the PAD will Friday petition the Administrative Court to launch a judicial review into the government's mandate to invoke the Internal Security Act targetting the yellow shirts.

Starting Wednesday, the ISA has come into effect in seven districts of Bangkok until February 23.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-09

I would think that they could not get the numbers so simpler to use the "traffic congestion" excuse to save face?

Exactly! The foolish old men may finally becoming round to their senses. Jamlong should go back to his leadership school in Kanchanaburi and Sonthi should consider leaving Thailand for China.

PAD: No plan to cordon off Parliament

BANGKOK, Feb 9 -- Thailand's yellow-shirted People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) will rally at Bangkok's Royal Plaza Friday with no plan to blockade Parliament as the government feared and will not protest in the northeastern province of Si Sa Ket bordering Cambodia, a PAD core leader Maj Gen Chamlong Srimuang said here Wednesday.

The PAD, encamped at Makkhawan Bridge on Ratchadamnoen Nok Avenue near Government House for 16 days, earlier announced their intention to intensify their protest.

Gen Chamlong said Monday that the Yellow Shirt protesters will move Friday to other key sites, but did not say where.

Gen Chamlong said he will lead the PAD demonstrators to Royal Plaza Friday at 10am to represent Thai nationals to take a patriotic oath before the King Rama V Equestrian Statue to voluntarily protect Thai territory and to use every means to press for the return of land from Cambodian occupation.

The PAD will then return to the protest area at Makkhawan Bridge. There will be no road blockade or rally at Parliament as the government feared, he said.

The PAD core leader also said a small PAD group would travel to Kantharalak district of Si Sa Ket, the scene of Thai-Cambodian border clashes to give relief supplies and aid to villagers affected by the recent fighting.

Gen Chamlong said Pol Maj Gen Wichai Sangprapai, commander of Metropolitan Police Division 1 met him this morning to ask the PAD to open road for traffic, but the Yellow Shirt leader rejected the request.

Meanwhile, PAD spokesman Panthep Puapongpan said the ultra patriotic organisation tomorrow will petition the Administrative Court asking it to overrule the government's imposition of the Internal Security Act (ISA) in seven districts of Bangkok between Feb 9-23.

Mr Panthep said the petition will argue that the PAD's rally has so far has been in compliance with the law and has caused no violence, so the use of the ISA therefore was unjustified.

The PAD demanded that Thailand withdraw from the UNESCO World Heritage Committee, revoke the 2000 Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed with Cambodia and push Cambodians now living in border areas which they claim belong to Thailand back to their homeland.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva rejected their ultimatum, saying the revocation of the 2000 agreement will not make Thailand lose territory to the neighbouring country. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-02-09

Those at the border sure dont want them.

About 300 villagers of Phum Srol village, which has been deserted after the cross-border fire, marched on Wednesday in protest against the People's Alliance for Democracy's plan to visit them on Friday to distribute relief supplies.

Wichit Duangkaew, 46, a village leader, said the PAD was not welcomed.

He blamed PAD leaders for causing clashes between Thai and Cambodian soldiers. The cross-border fire damaged many houses at Phum Srol in Si Sa Ket's Kantharalak district and villagers had been evacuated for safety.

"They are not welcomed. We don't want to see them because they may again bring us trouble," he said.

Mr Wichit said regardless of what the PAD's objective may be - to topple the government or anything else - they should not take the Thai-Cambodian conflict as a pretext for their activities.

"When Cambodian rockets and artillery rounds landed on our village, were PAD leaders with us and ran for lives like we did? They were the cause of trouble," he said.

Channa Iamsaeng, deputy Si Sa Ket governor, said to the protesting villagers that the government had asked PAD leaders not to travel to the border during this time.

PAD leaders on Tuesday decided to abandon their plan to march to some key locations in Bangkok on Friday. They said they would instead deliver relief supplies to the people sufferring from border clashes and soldiers on that day.