Real Answer From Muslims Please

thailandbluegrass

I seriously want someone to explain to me why Muslims and the Mosques throughout Thailand (and everywhere) need to put there chanting or praying (or please tell me what exactly it is) over large PS systems every morning at 4:30am and again in the evening?

I don't know how esle to find an honest answer to this but to post here. Why can it not just be for the Muslims inside the Mosque and not for everyone within a 3 kilometer radius?

Please someone tell me and maybe I won't be so pisssed off all the time when I hear it?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a call to prayer, similair to church bell ringing for mass.

Mario do you know this for sure? Because in a Catholic church etc the bells only ring for a few minutes then stop.

And these are not bells or chims, they are prayers I'm sure. I just want someone to explain why they need the whole city to hear them? If someone wants to join their religion it's easy to see where these Mosques are so why do they need to PA it?

Muslims have 5 daily prayers to do each day. To explain it would be quite long, but I did put up a link that will help you to understand.

First, before each prayer time: A person gets to the highest point and calls the Adhan.

If the moderator of this form approves the posting of the link which will explain Muslim Prayer or Adhan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhan

Edited by elshaheen

Mario do you know this for sure? Because in a Catholic church etc the bells only ring for a few minutes then stop.

And these are not bells or chims, they are prayers I'm sure. I just want someone to explain why they need the whole city to hear them? If someone wants to join their religion it's easy to see where these Mosques are so why do they need to PA it?

I believe the main reason the "call to prayer" goes on for so long, is because they want to make sure no one ignores it.

They need to ram it down people's throats. Otherwise the religion would die out in a generation or two.

At least in Thailand there are (currently) areas where the Mosque cannot be heard.

Here in the ME there is no escape. Also in shopping centres, peoples offices and cell phones invite you to get on your knees and ......

is "ME" the abbreviation for Maine,USA? perhaps we just got a good tip of where Osama it's being hideing for so long :lol:

I can see from your both of your comments, you really don't know anything about Muslim's and their practices. My apartment has 5 Mosques within 1 km of here. I get used to it and it doesn't bother me, actually in the morning I used the morning prayer as an alarm clock.

Whybother - if you don't like it, then you should go up to the Mosque and tell the man to stop the Adhan and see what he or those preparing for Prayer do. Will they pull you aside and bunch you out, tell you to get out of there. No, let them be and if you don't like it, then move. This is not your country.

If it was just the call to prayer that was broadcast on the tannoy near my house (3km from mosque) I would put up with it - I have worked in ME too. However the constant babbling that goes on all day at weekends including the phone-in show is driving me crazy. Yes, I am serious there is a live phone-in broadcast over the speakers most Saturdays.

If it was just the call to prayer that was broadcast on the tannoy near my house (3km from mosque) I would put up with it - I have worked in ME too. However the constant babbling that goes on all day at weekends including the phone-in show is driving me crazy. Yes, I am serious there is a live phone-in broadcast over the speakers most Saturdays.

Wait, are you over in Nontumburi near Rama 7 bridge. I know of a Mosque that seems to broadcast their programs all day over there. One friend of mine who is an American Muslim told me about that Mosque, and he or his wife can't do anything about it. That area has a very large Muslim population on both sides of the river.

Where I am at in Prakanon, the Mosques are called "The High Tech Mosques". They start and stop Adhan on time and that is the only thing which comes out of them speakers.

Edited by elshaheen

I can see from your both of your comments, you really don't know anything about Muslim's and their practices. My apartment has 5 Mosques within 1 km of here. I get used to it and it doesn't bother me, actually in the morning I used the morning prayer as an alarm clock.

Whybother - if you don't like it, then you should go up to the Mosque and tell the man to stop the Adhan and see what he or those preparing for Prayer do. Will they pull you aside and bunch you out, tell you to get out of there. No, let them be and if you don't like it, then move. This is not your country.

Thats exactly what we did. We went to the Mosque to see the Imam but he did not wanted to talk to us. All other people around told us they could do nothing and they looked at us as we were from mars. Before we barely heard the call for prayer and it did not really disturbed us. However, since a few months, they installed a (I guess) speaker system and it wakes me up every morning before 06.00 am. I live at 1 mile + and even in the bathroom with the door closed, I can hear it clearly. It is getting on my nerves now. I respect every body and will not disturb them but why they not think the same? I bought this real estate and now it becomes a hell.

The way you talk illustrates how you think and I cannot agree with that. If you are so brave, leave us your address and I will wake you up every morning at 05.00 am. If you not like it, you just have to move as I am sure, where you live now is not where you were born so........ it is not your city thus move... OK?

This world is a very confused piece of mass....

Many, particularly those temporary residents in Thailand and members of TV.... appear to dislike early 'noises' broadcasted loudly....

As it has already been explained that the early morning prayer is customary and required for Muslims....

For us, it is a very strange practice, chanting the same chant every day, day in and day out....

For some the continuous chant is down right annoying and provocative....

But for the faithfuls, it is a ritual, a must to live a demonstrable religious life....

Many dislike this kind of strange and unusual practice.... particularly when it interferes with our own life styles.... and preferences.... :ermm:

Most civilized countries and people, as far as I can recall, do provide some cushion for religious differences and tolerances....

Though Thailand is still quite a distance yet from becoming a first rate country in the eyes of more developed nations....

but she does tolerate many other religions and their strange customs and practices.... as well....

I do not recall any time in past history that Thailand ever seeks out and/or persecutes other religious faiths or their followers....

which the same can not be said of several other more advanced nations....

in which Christians of different faiths and practices were hunted down like beasts.... :jap:

Many TV members are way too young to remember or care about this also very strange, subversive and extreme persecutory Christian involvement and practices....

toward her own Christian brothers and sisters who might or might not have prayed and/or worshiped in the same Christian Churches or worshiping on the same days.... :(

Personally, I still think we are still very fortunate that each of us still have the option to stay or relocate to some other cities, towns, villages, TumBons, MooBaans or Paar ( ป่า ), or Kaow ( เขา ) of our own liking.... so nothing unfamiliar will ever ever annoy any of our five or six sensory perceptions and experiences.... :wai:

Cheers every one.... and please be a little more tolerant, if you could.... And I humbly salute you all.... :violin:

Edited by mkawish

I believe the main reason the "call to prayer" goes on for so long, is because they want to make sure no one ignores it.

They need to ram it down people's throats. Otherwise the religion would die out in a generation or two.

A form of indoctrination perhaps?

That's their plan really. To annoy the crap out of everyone so that they WILL move out.

The problem with your statement is, if I go back to my country, I could probably be hit with the same thing.

And even if I move from where ever, do I need to move again when they decide it's their right to make a lot of noise where I move to?

Do you think they would leave me alone if I played loud music, or, heaven forbid, Christian prayers and hymns over loud speakers at all hours?

As it has already been explained that the early morning prayer is customary and required for Muslims....

They can pray all they want. If they need to be reminded, set up an automatic phone service that will call every Muslim at 4am with the call to prayer. But blaring it out on loudspeakers 5 times a day every day of the year is extremely intolerant and shouldn't be permitted.

Many Thais would reply that it's not their country either, smart guy. Thailand is a Buddhist country. Since you seem to like them so much, why don't you move to a muslim country? Malaysia is just around the corner B)

Many Thais would reply that it's not their country either, smart guy. Thailand is a Buddhist country. Since you seem to like them so much, why don't you move to a muslim country? Malaysia is just around the corner B)

The answer is simple - Just get your own huge PA system and as soon as the call to prayer goes out crank up Lady gaga or some other annoying shit and drown them out. If they object just politley explain you are the cult of gaga and this is your own form of worship.

After all what's good for one is good for all, isn't it??

Now THIS is the type of intellagent non bias answers I was looking for in my OP.

If I did know ANYTHING about the Muslim's and their practices, would I have pocted this?

There has been a couple of decent posts here that explained some things to me like "the call for prayer" and "Adhan" and I am very open minded when it comes to religion etc and have nothing againsts their prayers and the call for prayer etc but still want to know hy it must be blasted out over a PA system for the rest of the world to hear? I mean seriously is it to annoy people?

I was born Catholic in Canada and we had mass on Saturdays and Sundays and the bells would ring out and was actually quite pleasant but after that everyone was inside the church and prayed rather quiet inside the church and did not send it out to the rest of the city via 2000 Watt PA systems.

We knew that mass began at 12:00 or 8:00 etc and just kinda showed up. And we all had watches the same as most Muslims do these days so why the BIG call out? Doesn't the prayer start at a certain time every day (or 5 times per day)? Can't everyone just show up at that time and pray quietly?

Cant these Mosques just put signs out front on the road that says:

Prayer times are from 5:00am to 6:00an and then from 11:00am to 12:00 mid day and then from 2:00pm to 3:00pm and then from 5:00pm to 6:00pm and then from 7:00pm to 8:00pm ?????

Thailand is 80% Buddhist belief and is one of the main tourist attractions here in the LOS where people come to see the Temples and learn about Darmha etc in a peacefull tranquil way.

And by the way THIS IS NOT THEIR COUNTRY EITHER !!!!!!!!!!

Second the above, although not in the same way. in Thailand, Muslims have a right to pray as they see fit. They can live where they want. What they do not have is a right to impose their customs and practices on those that are not muslim.There are several Christian churches in Patong and yet they do not ring bells or disturb people's sleep. It comes down to a fundamental respect for the rigths of others. It seems to me that there is one rule for some people and another for those that do not share the same views. Why should people be forced to "move" by a group using noise to take over an area? Just as non muslims should be respectful of muslims, muslims should be respectful of non muslims.

For the OP, you do have legal rights and you can visit the local civil administration. If you are living in a predominately muslim area, you will most likely be told sorry, can't do much. However, if it is Bhuddist area, you may be surprised by the assistance rendered.

They can pray all they want. If they need to be reminded, set up an automatic phone service that will call every Muslim at 4am with the call to prayer. But blaring it out on loudspeakers 5 times a day every day of the year is extremely intolerant and shouldn't be permitted.

I remember, hope I wasn't dreaming, watching a TV show and they mentioned that the mosque sent out an SMS for their call to prayer. That is probably the best way to keep the peace in the area.

TheWalkingMan