Where Can I Buy 36Cm Rear Nut Spanner In Bangkok

MaiChai

Seem a common item on ebay.co.uk and about 12 quid. Like here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTORCYCLE-REAR-AXLE-NUT-SPANNER-36MM-OFFSET-/280552648002?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item41523dad42#ht_1651wt_905

Where can I buy one in Bangkok for similar money (500 baht)? I need to put new bushes in my NSR SP. I could get a bike shop to do it, but if I have the spanner it will be good for future repairs. Alternative is a regular ring spanner (not the offset ones); Home Pro are quite cheap for spanners, etc, but they only do up to 32cm.

Otherwise I trawl China Town (my usual trick when looking for odd bits). Suspect you can buy one in Klong Tom market on Saturday night (preferably a 2nd hand one; probably as good as new one with more steel?).

Anyone any ideas/seen this anywhere for reasonable money?

Wish I had bought one back in the UK (I bought the castle nut tool on ebay.co.uk; the NSR clutch and a couple of others internally use the castle nut; I believe other Thai Hondas like Sonics and Novas have castle nuts too since thats what they were labelled when I bought replacement nuts).

Many thanks in advance.

36 CM maybe better if you changed the title to 36mm. I doubt many folks will know where to buy a 36 Cm Spaner or even seen one unles they work ofshore.

Ha ha ha, wonder what kind of brutes in the offshore can handle 36CM spanners unless they are hydraulically operated.

Hum, this is for a motorbike, not an oil rig. I meant 36mm. Please, sensible responses only!

It will probably need a wack with a hammer to get it off. Hence why I don't want the offset type.

Edited by MaiChai

I've got a 36mm spanner and a 36mm socket. Bought both from the fantastic Veera Siam tool shop directly opposite the Esso station on Sukhumvit Soi 71.

That place is a tool junkie's wet dream! :jerk:

Really can't remember what I paid but I think their prices are quite reasonable...

Hum, this is for a motorbike, not an oil rig. I meant 36mm. Please, sensible responses only!

It will probably need a wack with a hammer to get it off. Hence why I don't want the offset type.

MaiChai I would suggest go with Tony's shop. If Tony is half the tool junky I am, the shop will be paradise for tools.

I've got a 36mm spanner and a 36mm socket. Bought both from the fantastic Veera Siam tool shop directly opposite the Esso station on Sukhumvit Soi 71.

Really can't remember what I paid but I think their prices are quite reasonable...

Tony, next time I'm in Bangkok I intend checking out Veera Siam. I found some good places in Chiang Rai for tools. Good quality but still cheaper than if I bought in Oz.. Thailand seems to get a lot of German supplier brand tools and to be honest I'm getting to be a bit of fan of their quality and reasonable prices.

Tony, stop using the fapping smiley....I think you have issues :lol:

Ok, did the rounds today. Weera has two shops there, and there are a couple more shops to choose from. They all wanted 500 baht for a Chinese one, and Weera wanted 550 baht for a quality brand one. Their shop was very nice and they had quality tools there. So highly recommended. If you are looking for something close to Sukhumwit; its ideal and I should imagine you can find any tool you need there.

I also went to Klong Tom Centre/Worachak and the going price there is 285 baht for a Chinese one, which was pretty chunky. So I went for one of these. Since I will occasionally use it; this is good enough. I am a 'good enough' type person rather than a 'must have the best' type; each to his own. This area has much to offer, however you really have to walk around to dig out what you need.

I believe you are looking at least 22 quid in the UK on ebay for a proper ring spanner (about 1000 baht); so either is good value.

Thanks for all your help.

Ok, did the rounds today. Weera has two shops there, and there are a couple more shops to choose from. They all wanted 500 baht for a Chinese one, and Weera wanted 550 baht for a quality brand one. Their shop was very nice and they had quality tools there. So highly recommended. If you are looking for something close to Sukhumwit; its ideal and I should imagine you can find any tool you need there.

I also went to Klong Tom Centre/Worachak and the going price there is 285 baht for a Chinese one, which was pretty chunky. So I went for one of these. Since I will occasionally use it; this is good enough. I am a 'good enough' type person rather than a 'must have the best' type; each to his own. This area has much to offer, however you really have to walk around to dig out what you need.

I believe you are looking at least 22 quid in the UK on ebay for a proper ring spanner (about 1000 baht); so either is good value.

Thanks for all your help.

Lolz! I paid 395 Baht for my forged 36mm spanner (I only know because the price is still written on it). And I believe I paid 170 Baht for a 36mm socket from Taiwan. Good stuff! T

Klong Tom has a big night market in the surrounding streets on a Saturday night. Its an amazing experience. I have never seen air conditioners sold in the middle of the road in a night market before (2nd hand/reconditioned), nor TVs stacked up on top of each other switched on! Nor 2nd hand golf clubs! The range of items sold is amazing! There is also alot of 2nd had tools for sale, which I imagine you can pick up really cheap. I even saw a set of 2nd hand NSR wheels in white; the solid mag ones; they wanted 2000 baht for them. If you do go, it gets really crowded with people pushed up against each other, so watch out for pick pockets! There is also alot of junk for sale; so buy with care.

+1 for that shop. I'm in there frequently. Have to go back for an 880 baht torque wrench.

BTW There is a small soi opposite the Sukhumvit end of the Esso, at the end of the block on which Veera Siam is. One can park in the apartment building lot. If I see the security guard I give him a 20 baht gratuity, if not.......

Back to the serious answers...

The 3rd bar-beer on the left in soi 2 Patpong (coming from BTS end) can easily and often do take care of the nut sizes you mentioned.

rolleyes.gifDon't tell 'em I sent ya.rolleyes.gif

PS. The manager there explained to me that all the operators in the 1st row haven't actually done the job before as they've just hit town from Issan and this is their 1st day working.

Stange.... whistling.gif

PPS. Sorry everyone took the p%ss out of you and your topic earlier. No respect.

Edited by andrew55

Back to the serious answers...

The 3rd bar-beer on the left in soi 2 Patpong (coming from BTS end) can easily and often do take care of the nut sizes you mentioned.

rolleyes.gifDon't tell 'em I sent ya.rolleyes.gif

PS. The manager there explained to me that all the operators in the 1st row haven't actually done the job before as they've just hit town from Issan and this is their 1st day working.

Stange.... whistling.gif

PPS. Sorry everyone took the p%ss out of you and your topic earlier. No respect.

Patpong is for the tourists mate. We long termers know better places to go ;)

Back to my NSR SP. Well I got the rear nut off today. It took some serious belts with a sledge hammer on the spanner, with the spanner held in place by two flip-flopped feet and a tgf on the bike! I tried a regular hammer and it didn't have enough clout (and before you flame me I did unstake the nut). So the sledge hammer did the trick.

Next problem is removing the 5 steel bushes pressed into aluminium; we know how steel and aluminium weld together. I blame the French for this as it appears the swingarm was designed (owned?) by ELF of France, and it was such a good idea that Honda has included it on later sport models in Thailand :whistling: Since the bushes have their own steel housing, which is quite thick, I had to drill these out. Two are done and three more to go. I looks like the bushes have never been replaced so hopefully I will never had to do this again. Needless to say drilling them out cuts into the aluminium a little, but not sufficiently to be a safety issue (and probably useful for next time).