Concrete Driveway And Carpark

longball53098

All you concrete experts please tell me the thickness of my concrete drive and carpark. I hear 10 cm and I hear 15 cm. I was going to go with 12cm as a happy medium. And the rebar mesh at 5 mm?

Anyone have some opinions?

Vehicles will be typical cars and pick ups and possibly heavier trucks at time to pump the septic or other jobs in the future

I am not even a novice so I cannot answer your question but I would suggest you also seek advice on having the driveway poured in sections connected with rebar or if you want it all poured at once have stress lines cut in afterwards and appropriately filled. Otherwise you will have unslightly jagged cracks sooner than later. Not sure of the terminology but a concrete guy will know what I am talking about. Maybe you are aware of this already, just trying to help.

House is in Rayong province,,,,,,,,,forgive me but not sure the reason for asking if house is in BKK or somewhere else? If in BKK I guess flooding and water table could affect the dirveway if this is why the question. Where I live no water table/flooding issues.

House is in Rayong province,,,,,,,,,forgive me but not sure the reason for asking if house is in BKK or somewhere else? If in BKK I guess flooding and water table could affect the dirveway if this is why the question. Where I live no water table/flooding issues.

Bangkok has problems with potential flooding and soil settlement.

I am not even a novice so I cannot answer your question but I would suggest you also seek advice on having the driveway poured in sections connected with rebar or if you want it all poured at once have stress lines cut in afterwards and appropriately filled. Otherwise you will have unslightly jagged cracks sooner than later. Not sure of the terminology but a concrete guy will know what I am talking about. Maybe you are aware of this already, just trying to help.

Correct. Road construction is different from that of a ground floor slab. Best to place a 1/2" x 1" timber batten across the top of the width of a long driveway at every 5m length during concrete pour, which is later removed and gap filled with hot asphalt or similar.

The standard concrete thickness of 10 or 15 cm is based on the assumption of well compacted sub grade layers that will support the driveway. Google for sub-grade preparation.

Yah. I just did a car park 15cm with steel mesh poured from the cement truck (as recommended by the local concrete folks). That was 4x8m. Seems to me like it could have been a few cm less, but there you go. Anyway.. it's definitely solid.

Thanks all.

Most likely will go with the 12 cm thick pour. The length is about 22 meters at the longest and about11 meters at the widest areas. We have had a rock/gravel drive compacted and driven on for 2 years now. This gravel is about 15 to 18 cm deep. Some of it will be removed for the pour to get the slope and level needed. The substrate should be good for the concrete. I will be discussing expansion joints with the contractor