Police arrests alleged rapist of girl whipped to death in Bangladesh

News_Editor

Police arrests alleged rapist of girl whipped to death in Bangladesh

2011-02-10 04:13:57 GMT+7 (ICT)

SHARIATPUR, BANGLADESH (BNO NEWS) -- Shariatpur Police on Wednesday arrested the alleged rapist of the 15-year-old girl whipped to death last January in central Bangladesh, the state-run BSS news agency reported.

A man identified only as Mahub was arrested at the outskirts of the capital Dhaka after a massive manhunt. Mahub allegedly raped his cousin Hena Akter, 15. However, the girl was whipped publicly due to a fatwa issued by self-appointed arbitrators in the Naria village in Shariatpur district.

Akter was sentenced to 100 lashes for allegedly having an illicit relation with her married cousin despite the allegations that she was forced by Mahub. After receiving about 70 lashes she was taken unconscious to a hospital in Shariatpur where she died.

The arrest came after a fresh port-mortem analysis on the body of Akter revealed that she died due to the heavy wounds inflicted and the high amount of blood lost. The body was exhumed on Sunday night in compliance with a High Court order.

The Court determined that a fresh port-mortem was needed as the original autopsy report said that no mark of injury was found on the body. After the analysis, authorities said that the teen's death was now considered a homicide.

Mahub, 40, was arrested at an abandoned house at Savar and was taken for questioning. Police is currently looking for the other suspects linked to the unfair arbitration and lashing nationwide.

A similar incident took place last October when a 45-year- old woman and a man were whipped to death after arbitration held in Tanore in northwestern Rajshahi.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-02-10

This is what happens when religious fanatics take the law into their own hands. Hopefully, the authorities will prosecute everyone responsible for this heinous crime. All the more reason to be thankful for living in a country that has a separation of religion and state.

This is what happens when religious fanatics take the law into their own hands. Hopefully, the authorities will prosecute everyone responsible for this heinous crime. All the more reason to be thankful for living in a country that has a separation of religion and state.

Indeed - or 'This is what happens when religion dictates how people should live and be judged'.

I want to use the word ANIMALS, but that would not be fare to us the word animals eh. ;)

Yeah must be big brave men to whip a young 15 year old girl to death, the thought of the entire process makes me so angry, the entire lot of people that support this type of things should be done away with - DISGUSTING bah.gif

I want to use the word ANIMALS, but that would not be fare to us the word animals eh. ;)

Yeah must be big brave men to whip a young 15 year old girl to death, the thought of the entire process makes me so angry, the entire lot of people that support this type of things should be done away with - DISGUSTING bah.gif

All those who are against the death penalty, then think again. These people do their dastardly deeds time and time again. Me, no hero but...................................l could. :huh:

The Court determined that a fresh port-mortem was needed as the original autopsy report said that no mark of injury was found on the body.

I wonder if whoever did the original autopsy can be prosecuted for falsifying their findings?

Lets hope so, but the baht speaks. :unsure: