Cost Of New Clutch For Old Toyota?

ClareQuilty

I have an old 5-speed rear-wheel drive Corolla (KE70). I love the car, but it seems to be shuddering a lot on take-off, which I guess could be the clutch. This is not a big deal, but I'm wondering if anyone has a guess what a clutch on a simple old rear-wheel drive car like that would cost to have installed in Thailand?

Sorry I have no advice on clutch prices, but must commend you for being green and recycling what is nearly a 30 year old car . I remember the KE70, good design and proportion. Just wondered how you managed for petrol, and what probs you may have had regarding ethanol effecting your carb and other components. Also how easy is it for you to get general spares ?

I am often tempted to buy an older car, for the design and rear wheel drive, then chicken out as I don't know a good honest mechanic in Samuprakarn, and the fear of breakdowns on a long journey.

Anyway, hope that you get a straight job done on your clutch, for not too many baht :)

Sorry I have no advice on clutch prices, but must commend you for being green and recycling what is nearly a 30 year old car . I remember the KE70, good design and proportion. Just wondered how you managed for petrol, and what probs you may have had regarding ethanol effecting your carb and other components. Also how easy is it for you to get general spares ?

I am often tempted to buy an older car, for the design and rear wheel drive, then chicken out as I don't know a good honest mechanic in Samuprakarn, and the fear of breakdowns on a long journey.

Anyway, hope that you get a straight job done on your clutch, for not too many baht :)

Hi Velo,

Missed your input here lately, glad your still with us. :)

Parts seem to be easy enough to come by with this common model, but its broken so little I haven't had chance to test this much. As for fuel, I always use 91 Red, benzine. I never ever put in any gasohol - I hate that stuff, what a boondoggle. I also have 3 old two-stroke motorbikes. So I'm one of those people who is absolutely dreading if they eliminate benzine. I think the car just might run on it, but I don't think my bikes will.

You are right, about the 'green' aspect - keeping old vehicles is very green, even if they use a bit more fuel than newer ones (actually a KE70 uses very little fuel, but some older cars use a bit more, and are still greener than buying a newly made product). Thai people don't understand me keeping old things, so I try to explain it as a green decision (even though to be honest I couldn't care less about green, I just love old things and hate new ones; find them tacky)

The design of the KE70 is wonderful, very comfortable in the front seats, very small dimensions, sturdy little push-rod engine, and most importantly its a 'real car' - rear wheel drive. The only drawback is the small rear seats, and the very low top speed (you can't really cruise comfortably over 80 kph because of the low gearing). I've driven the car all over Isaan without any trouble - 50,000 baht, 210,000 kilometers, zero repairs in 3 years of ownership.

Parts seem to be easy enough to come by with this common model, but its broken so little I haven't had chance to test this much. As for fuel, I always use 91 Red, benzine. I never ever put in any gasohol - I hate that stuff, what a boondoggle. I also have 3 old two-stroke motorbikes. So I'm one of those people who is absolutely dreading if they eliminate benzine. I think the car just might run on it, but I don't think my bikes will.

You are right, about the 'green' aspect - keeping old vehicles is very green, even if they use a bit more fuel than newer ones (actually a KE70 uses very little fuel, but some older cars use a bit more, and are still greener than buying a newly made product). Thai people don't understand me keeping old things, so I try to explain it as a green decision (even though to be honest I couldn't care less about green, I just love old things and hate new ones; find them tacky)

The design of the KE70 is wonderful, very comfortable in the front seats, very small dimensions, sturdy little push-rod engine, and most importantly its a 'real car' - rear wheel drive. The only drawback is the small rear seats, and the very low top speed (you can't really cruise comfortably over 80 kph because of the low gearing). I've driven the car all over Isaan without any trouble - 50,000 baht, 210,000 kilometers, zero repairs in 3 years of ownership.

A happy bunny, that's what motoring should be all about. :)

Clutch change on your ride is max 3 hours, so labour and parts ???