Clean Thai Tattoo

wilson7561681

So I have always dreamed of going to thailand and have finally decided to go and have my ticket for May 2nd to May 29th. One of the biggest things i want to do while I am in Thailand is to get a real Thai Tattoo from a buddist Monk. One of the things though I want to bring great experiences and fun home from Thailand. Not hepititus or Aids. So I think the best solution is for me to find my own needle and bring it to be used on myself. I know they use a large 2 pronged spear/needle for the tattoos but I was wondering if anyone knows where i could buy or get one of these so I dont have to worry about it being used. Or if that isnt possible are there any tips anyone has for me. Im not really keen on the "get there early so you are first" I would jsut rather not use the same needle that someone else has used. Thank you for all of your help. I hope to get a lot out of this site

If you want real, then you want to go on Sak Yant tour where the tattoo will be made by the monks with bamboo not the machine.

You will find they use NEW needles not used or second hand.

I only know of one company who does it.

Quote from the website

SAK-YANT TATTOO TOURS - We are happy to say that we are guaranteed to be the only company in Thailand to offer this tour. With the extreme popularity of this tour, we have arranged to make it one of the most amazing days of your life. http://mrdreamtransport.page.tl/OUR-TOURS.htm

Thai Temples (Wats) or should I say that the monk that will be giving you the tattoo etc do not charge money. But they might just refuse you if they feel you are not meant to have one. You also cannot get one of what YOU want. They decide for you and again might refuse you if they feel you are mocking the Darma (so to speak). If you don't have a Thai or if you cannot speak Thai then don't even bother. Also they use the "hammer and needle" way BOT regular needles as someone here already posted.

If it's your first time to Thailand and you want just a "cool" tat from a Temple and know nothing about Buddhism (maybe you do) then I would forget it. It would most likely be a tat that you would not have a clue of the meaning as well unless like I said, you have a Thai friend or can spea Thai.

That said, most monks do beautiful work and you would be supprised how fast they are done.

I don't want to sound sarcastic but you cant just trot into a temple and tell them you want a tat.

Thai Temples (Wats) or should I say that the monk that will be giving you the tattoo etc do not charge money. But they might just refuse you if they feel you are not meant to have one. You also cannot get one of what YOU want. They decide for you and again might refuse you if they feel you are mocking the Darma (so to speak). If you don't have a Thai or if you cannot speak Thai then don't even bother. Also they use the "hammer and needle" way BOT regular needles as someone here already posted.

If it's your first time to Thailand and you want just a "cool" tat from a Temple and know nothing about Buddhism (maybe you do) then I would forget it. It would most likely be a tat that you would not have a clue of the meaning as well unless like I said, you have a Thai friend or can spea Thai.

That said, most monks do beautiful work and you would be supprised how fast they are done.

I don't want to sound sarcastic but you cant just trot into a temple and tell them you want a tat.

Any recommendations for a temple in Bangkok where they would do this? I have never heard they will do it for free but assume they are going to expect a donation. Any comment on what a fair donation would be based on time they spend?

Any recommendations for a temple in Bangkok where they would do this? I have never heard they will do it for free but assume they are going to expect a donation. Any comment on what a fair donation would be based on time they spend?

You can look into Wat Bang Phra. Here is a web link;

http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?4335-Thailand's-temple-of-tattoos

However, this does not guarrantee you a tattoo. Like I said in my previous post it's a spiritual thing (so to speak) so you kind of have to look yourself and (read my last post).

It's not like going to a tattoo parlour. Also it is not in "Darma" for Monks and temples to charge ANYTHING for ANYTHING but it is YOUR blessing to give a donation. This is for your karma not theirs.

Again, don't just go their to get a tat cause it's cool. Learn at least a bit about it all first and bring an offering for the Temple and the monks (can usually buy near any temple in a street venue) etc.

My best suggestion is when your traveling around Thailand and you visit a wat that you like just as if there is any temple around that offers tattoos. The tattoo or tattooist will find you if you know what I mean.

Edited by thailandbluegrass

Not all temples do the Sak Yant. The notion posted by another member that they may not do it because he may not be spiritual is a load of <deleted> i hate to say.

If Temple has the people who does it, they will do it . It is not FREE. Nothing is free in Thailand. One will have to make a donation and not 100 baht or so, but 500 up, not only that the larger the tattoo the larger donation is expected and usually(almost always) prior to making the tattoo.

For a 10cmx10cm tattoo donation expected is 1000-2000 baht. Obviously the higher the amount the better job(more detailed). This is the "donation" for temple around BKK, I am sure in Isaan it will be less.

However, just walking into a temple will not get you one, because for starters one would need to speak pretty good Thai, one would have to know little culture and know the times to go.

If you have a Thai wife or GF, you can ask ger on her next visit to temple to ask where, when and who. For a tourist the only way to get it done is to go with a tour.

Let me elaborate little better on the amount of donation.

When one goes to temple and wants to be blessed by a monk(water splash and a small pray), one must bring a basket(donation) the cheapest one is 100 baht. This blessing takes approx 30-45 seconds and one first gives the donation.

So if for 1 min the donation is 100 baht, for an hour donation would be around 600+

Angelina Jolie paid around 10 000 baht for her tattoo, right now if you want same from the same guy it will cost 30 000.

But this is commercial price, so for donation for same size tattoo from a monk the correct amount would be 2000-3000

Edited by kuffki

When one goes to temple and wants to be blessed by a monk(water splash and a small pray), one must bring a basket(donation) the cheapest one is 100 baht. This blessing takes approx 30-45 seconds and one first gives the donation.

So if for 1 min the donation is 100 baht, for an hour donation would be around 600+

Angelina Jolie paid around 10 000 baht for her tattoo, right now if you want same from the same guy it will cost 30 000.

But this is commercial price, so for donation for same size tattoo from a monk the correct amount would be 2000-3000

Now this is a load of nonsense.

I paid 600 baht for my first one, and that was actually too much.

For my second one I paid 400 baht, I gave them a 500 baht note and they gave me 100 change.

I refused the change, but they really wanted me to have it, so i took it back.

And yes, they are of really good quality.

First one took 1,5 hours, second one took 1 hour.

My 2 cents (or satang)

For my second one I paid 400 baht, I gave them a 500 baht note and they gave me 100 change.

My 2 cents (or satang)

LOL@ "they gave me 100 change.I refused the change, but they really wanted me to have it, so i took it back"

What temple was that? name and address please?

Edited by kuffki

My 2 cents (or satang)

You both were "overcharged" and given falang prices. There is no cost for the tattoo, and no set price for a donation. It is "up to you" what you want to donate. At Wat Bang Phra, I donated what everyone else was donating at the time, which was a pack of cigarettes, incense, and a small bundle of flowers that we purchased just outside. Total cost, 40 baht. No one there donated more than 60 baht.

Edited by floridaguy

You can get what you want. They have examples on the walls, you can point to the one you want. Also, there were those there, including myself, that brought examples, such as a photo. The monk looked at what I wanted, asked where, and then proceeded to tattoo me as I asked.

OP, if you go to the temple in Bangkok on OnNut Soi 29 there is a ajarn that will sell you the tattooing needle for a donation of 1000-2000 baht. You can then sterilize it for use later. Also, you could request bamboo needles, since these are not re-used normally.